Buckmark vs Neos

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Not very familiar with both pistols but I know I like both. I've shot both pistols and did fine with it. I just don't know a whole lot about them so I need your input before I make a purchase. Dependability,reliability and accuraccy are factors but how about ergonomics and ease of take down and reassembly? Anyway,your input would be greatly appreciated.

jbadjones

Rating - 96.7%
    119   4   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Natchitoches
    From everything I've read the buckmark seems to be much less "finicky" about ammo choices. I am itching for a buckmark, but for right now I got my 22/45 which serves its purpose just fine! :)

jro6803

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have never shot a Neos. My buckmark camper is only a few months old. I have shot but not owned a Ruger Mark III. My buckmark has about 1,000 flawless rounds through it so far. Came with front hi-viz green sight. I prefer the buckmark to the Ruger. More accurate than I am. Biggest problem so far has been finding additional mags.

Last edited:

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    My Buckmark eats everything Ive put in it so far. I just ordered a bunch of extra parts like screws, washers, etc, this morning. Just because they were cheap and you never know when you'll need 'em.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I don't know anything about a Neos but I agree the Buck Mark is much more accurate than I am. It's a really sweet gun and I'm enjoying shooting it more each time I do.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    My hunting lease partner had the Neos and got rid of it. He now sports the Ruger 22/45. I have shot both and I would go with the Buckmark hands down.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    My Neos will eat any ammo and is very accurate.And it will take a scope well.Very easy to field strip.I have never fully dissasembled it though.The downside of it is I have never seen a holster for it.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I have an old Uncle Mike's holster for my buckmark. It fits fine.
    Take down on the buckmark is very easy. I've had mine for just over 20 years and have probably shot over 5K rounds through it. I've changed the recoil spring once and the rubber buffer twice. I've never had any luck with aftermarket mags. I still have my original factory mag plus another factory mag. Both run fine. I tried a few of the ramline 12 round mags but no luck, even down loaded to 10.
    Ammo. It eats just about anything. I haven't found a round that is substantially more accurate than stingers so I usually go with that for outdoor use. Whatever's on sale at walmart is fine for shooting paper. I tried a few of the more expensive loads and didn't see a difference. I gave away the eley- it left my gun filthy!
    The only mod I've done is to change the sights. The original rear looked like it was cut out of a beer can. I tried a picatinny rail and red dot and decided while it was fine for paper I didn't want it for outdoors. I ordered a set of current factory sights from Browning and it shoots great. It shoots better than I can.
    I've thought about getting one of the trail light threaded barrels and a suppressor. One of these days...

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    When I worked in a gun store I heard complaints about the Neos as far as reliability. A few were sent back to Beretta. Never heard anything bad said about a buckmark, though, only praise.

That being said, last I checked the buckmark was considerably more expensive. This was about 3-4 years ago now, though, so the Neos could be a good gun these days and a buckmark might be cheaper (or a neos more expensive).

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    I have had both too. I had zero issues with the NEOS and it is real easy to take down for cleaning. Brownings customer service sucks. The buckmark I bought was brand new and after the first outing the finish on the grip started bubbling and peeling. I had to pay to have it shipped to the company only to have them tell me it wasnt their problem.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have a buckmark, Its probably 15+ years old, and shoots great, even though it looks like hell. I shot a Neos a few weeks back at Sherburne, and I did not care for it. It felt pretty balanced in my hand, but the trigger was not all that good.

yamaha0343

Glock > XD
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have both, and I like both. I'm not really any less accurate with either one, and neither has given me any problems. The Neos is easier to take down and clean though.

dukeryder

RedRyder Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    I've had the buckmark for a few years and it's been flawless. Eats any ammo I've put through it and it's very accurate.

Cleaning it sucks because you need to use 2 different sized allen keys to take the gun apart for cleaning. There's 2 conical washers that can wear out after too many disasseblies and the gun will loosen up and not fire.

S&W 22A is the only other .22LR Auto that I've shot that I'd take over the buckmark. The Smith is very easy to take down for cleaning and is super accurate, my Dad's is from the 1950s and is still perfect. I have only shot about 20 rounds through a NEOS and that was 4 years ago.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My friend got a 22A a few years ago. It worked great for a while, but after about 3000 rounds the gun stopped extracting reliably, and it started jamming up constantly. looking at the extractor claw, it looked kind of chewed up. I told him to take it to a gunsmith to have it looked at but he hasn't ever done it because he is a lazy good-for-nothing.

Anyway, the gun was great until that happened, so it might be that they are not made like they were in the 1950's (surprise surprise).

dukeryder

RedRyder Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2007
    New Orleans
    You are probably right on the 22A being lower quality. The 22A is manufactured in Maine not the legendary Springfield MA plant. My Dad has always called his gun the 22A but it's actually theModel 41 Maybe they called it the 22A back in the Day?? or my Dad has just been calling it by the wrong name. I can't believe what S&W is asking for the 41!!! His looks just like the Gun on the S&W page but has a ported barrel on it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom