bug out on foot pack?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    if something happened and we had to bug out of south louisiana on foot or stay and die, what should one bring? how much weight is realistic? what about a bug out cart as long as we can stay on a road? or would a cart loaded with survival goodies make you a nice target?

carrying guns and ammo on foot. i would have my glock 19, a few mags and maybe 100 extra rounds. its hard for me to choose a rifle. my ak47 and a few hundred 7.62x39mm with steel mags or my sig 522, plastic light weight 25 round black dog mags and a couple thousand rounds of .22lr?

im leaning towards my sig 522 because of weight and its amazing reliability. i have never seen a semi auto .22lr that damn reliable. i had two failure to feeds within the first couple hundred round through it then 100% reliable. im at the 2,000 round mark using cheap bulk winchester 555, federal 550, thunder bolts, even that bulk remington everyone hates. 100% reliable except for a couple failure to fire easily cleared by pulling the bolt. i went almost 1,000 rounds without cleaning it. no problems.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Disregard the posts above this one. They are references to an inside joke.

This has been covered by many. Many have one or more Bug Out Bags which contain needed items.
    For example, your small Bug Out Bag may contain your Glock, spare mags/ammo (clips?) for the Glock, a good knife, small first aid kit, flashlight, spare batteries for the flashlight, a change of clothing etc.
    You might keep that in your vehicle. Food, water, and cash are also good items. One MRE is not a bad thing to have ready.

Your larger or big Bug Out Bag might contain another pistol with ammo and mags, rifle, rifle ammo, food for several days or weeks, larger first aid kit. You want to be prepared but you also want to be able to carry this stuff and move quickly, if necessary.

Given your choices above I would put the AK and ammo in a larger Bug Out Bag. I would either put the Sig 22 in the Bag, or have it nearby so it can be grabbed at the same time. The AK is a defensive weapon that can be used for survival. The 22 is a more of a survival weapon that can be used for defense. I would say both, if possible.

BOBs evolve as the owner learns new things and as his priorities change. For example, if you have a family you might want a larger first aid kit and more food than if you're alone.

The list of items is extensive and including but not limited to things like duct tape, stainless steel wire, tools, nylon rope and/or cord, etc.

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    One of my buddies has a small BOB. His coworkers made fun of him, calling it his "Murse" (man purse). But, after a short while of him pulling so much useful stuff from his "Murse" on various occasions they grew to respect the "Murse". I don't think he has had to pull the Glock from his "Murse", yet, but he is prepared if the need arises.

Oh, and I forgot to mention above: fire. You should have the ability to make fire in your BOB.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    A Gregory Whitney 95 Medium pack. It has the following attached to it or in it; fire making materials, first aid, shelter, food, ammo, mags, clothes, etc, etc.

It is a great pack. The weight rides on your hips and it has a durable internal frame. 65 lbs is more than enough of everything you need in a pack.

Last edited:

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    65lbs might qualify as a large pack for some people, especially if they aren't practiced at carrying anything. If you're fresh out of boot camp, it would probably feel just right.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    There was a time I planned on packing light and moving fast. That was before kids. Now I have other priorities.

A very good small pack that I use to keep in my truck is the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II.

It works well.

I just ordered a Maxpedition Sitka which I plan on using as my EDC "Tactical Diaper Bag". With a kid still in diapers, I need something that will carry some extra things around and still have enough room for some essentials.

I planned on writing up a review about the bag if anyone cares. I should get it today and plan on having it up and running by the weekend.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    no one likes the idea of a bugout cart?

It would probably encourage you to carry more crap than you should . Then , if things got hairy , you would have to abandon it anyway . I guess it depends on what's going on . Can you move freely , or do you have to fight your way around ?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Oh, and I forgot to mention above: fire. You should have the ability to make fire in your BOB.

Never build a fire IN your BOB!!!:D

pistol, ammo, rifle, ammo, sure...

How about:
    water purification tablets, water bottle, coffee filter (to keep the grass and dirt out your water when you collect it)

Fire, at least 3 ways of making it. A stub of a tealite candle is great for wet tinder
    light - not too bright. you don't want to draw attention. Headlamp is even better.
    extra socks. They're worth their weight in gold when you're getting a blister.
    knife, swiss army plus something bigger and fixed blade. Not a foot long bowie. I like the sog seal pup...
    First aid kit, plus something to remove splinters.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    I didn't say fire in the BOB. I said ability in BOB.
    It stands to reason, though, if you have the ability to make fire in the BOB then you can probably also make fire externally.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    A cart would be a step more ridiculous than the tactical wheelbarrow, IMO. :) If you could stay on the roads with a cart, then you should too, in theory, be able to be on the roads in a car or truck.

Bugging out on foot would be difficult by itself, and the difficulty would increase exponentially for each dependent you have (wife, kids, mother in law. . . ).

But I think a "BOB" should be exactly that, a bag. Not a huge pack, large piece of luggage, etc. It should be readily transportable on your back or in the trunk. Copious amounts of water, food, etc, should not be in the actual bag.

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    When I hike I carry around 12 pounds without water. Add weight for water and ammo. Don't need much water around here can filter stuff all day and 6 mags of .223 at around 16-18 ounces a pop. I can't imagine lugging 65 lbs of stuff in the environment out of necessity.

Last edited:

Jguid54

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Lake Charles
    if something happened and we had to bug out of south louisiana on foot or stay and die, what should one bring? how much weight is realistic? what about a bug out cart as long as we can stay on a road? or would a cart loaded with survival goodies make you a nice target?

carrying guns and ammo on foot. i would have my glock 19, a few mags and maybe 100 extra rounds. its hard for me to choose a rifle. my ak47 and a few hundred 7.62x39mm with steel mags or my sig 522, plastic light weight 25 round black dog mags and a couple thousand rounds of .22lr?

im leaning towards my sig 522 because of weight and its amazing reliability. i have never seen a semi auto .22lr that damn reliable. i had two failure to feeds within the first couple hundred round through it then 100% reliable. im at the 2,000 round mark using cheap bulk winchester 555, federal 550, thunder bolts, even that bulk remington everyone hates. 100% reliable except for a couple failure to fire easily cleared by pulling the bolt. i went almost 1,000 rounds without cleaning it. no problems.

if you'll have a glock 19, why not get a keltec sub-2000 it could be folded put into your bag, your handgun and rifle could take the same magazines and ammo

Top Bottom