BUG / Pocket Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    P3AT for me. Its often the only thing I can carry. What do I think of it? It always fires the round in the chamber. I've had a few issues with getting the next round there but that's why we practice FTF drills, right? :)

Depending on where I'm going I'll step up to a 1911 or a s&w 469. As I've said before, the smith is reliable but its a brick! Also, the engineers must have worked extra hard designing additional corners and sharp edges just to make it more uncomfortable! Looking for a new 9mm to take its place. Priorities...

Sounds good to me. I am contemplating picking up a pocket pistol and am torn between the P3AT and the LCP. So far it seems like 6 one way and half a dozen the other...

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I'm a fan of pocket pistols. Why? Because I can't carry a full size gun with my work attire. No, I can't tuck my shirt into my tuckable holster. No, I'm not going to wear Thunderwear. I have been carrying either a Ruger LCP or Kahr P380 in my back pocket for almost 5 years now. No ill effects so far and I can arguably draw just as fast as a covered IWB. There's a lot of wisdom in a statement like "the best gun to carry is the one you have on you" and I'm happy to regurgitate that here.

Lots of guys on here get all picky about pocket guns, not sure why. Compensating? LOL, kidding. Heck, one of the mods (or owner, can't recall) on concealed carry forum wouldn't even allow so-called "mouse guns" to be discussed.

These guns are just so convenient, it's become second nature to grab it just like keys. I haven't had any reliability issues with either gun using Hornady Critical Defense. Over 500 (not all HCD) rounds fired from each, to include tests where the gun was carried and not clean for a few months... lots of lint, worked fine. I switched over to the Kahr P380 because my other favorite carry for IWB is a Kahr MK9. IMO, the Kahr takes everything that was good about the LCP and put their own shine on it. Better sights, trigger, and the gun is shorter overall (which makes it great for back pocket carry). Used to carry in a Desantis Superfly, but switched to a Maelwear recently to have the extra mag in the holster.

Think that covers everything. Hope this helps man, contact me if you have questions.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've tossed this guy in a pocket a time or two, when I can wrestle it away from the wife.
    gesugy6e.jpg

Guess I gotta break down and get my own one day.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Beretta Nano,kinda had to get used to the sharp angles,nuthin a good file or belt sander won't cure and the trigger is different but there is practicality in having along double action pull. 1st time at the range wanted to shoot up an old box of silver bear 147 jhp but wouldn't cycle. Reloads and regular ball ran like a timex,

Polish p64 9mm Makarov is a little heavy because its all steel but it is safe and reliable and a little better than .380. I don't want to take a round from it. Lubyonka sleeping pill.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My main carry is a 642 because I shoot it the best and it feels like nothing when carried. Reloads ride along in Bianchi speed strips.....at least two minimum. Only reason I would need a Keltec or LCP is when I'm riding my road bike because those are the only guns I can fit in my saddle bag or frame bag. No room to carry a gun in my compression riding shorts. Another useful trait would be if I were dressed formal and need ultra concealment with almost 0 weight and no printing. My choice would be the Keltec P3at.......and yes, I'm still looking for one.

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Obviously, a P-3AT for me, in a quality pocket holster, and wearing a P-Sight, of course! Shot hundreds of rounds through it, and as long as she's clean, she's very reliable. (Or with nickel-plated cases like Speer, even when dirty.) I actually enjoy shooting the little SOB. Extra mag with +1 extension in the weak side pocket. Always. (Except where unconstitutionally prevented by law.) Those 14 rounds of .380 are far better than X number of .45 (or whatever) left at home.

On those rare occasions when I'm in a "red zone", add the EAA Witness with spare mag. Thus 33 rounds of 9mm, for a total of 47 rounds, 2 guns.

If I'm feeling really special, throw in the tiny NAA .22 with holster grip, which can be concealed anywhere. That brings it to 52 rounds, 3 guns.

But, the P-3AT is ALWAYS with me. I feel naked without it.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I wish. :(

Realistically:

I owned an LCP. Was a POS. Multiple recalls. Maybe they've fixed them by this point, don't care.

I've put a couple hundred rounds through a Bodyguard. Like it better than the LCP. Still had a couple malfunctions, and the thumb safety is gay.

Keltec P3AT, no personal experience, but I've heard they are decent once you take them apart and grind/sand/polish things. Very confidence inspiring.

Sooooooo...
    I have had my .380 Bodyguard for three years now. I forget that it is even in my pocket. I even carry it when I have my primary. I love the grip on it and the Novak sights. Even with the heavy trigger, I can shoot very good double-taps. Over 500 rounds with no failures. The LSP now carry them as the official issue BUG.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    I carried a j frame on my ankle for years. They're great for that, but their low capacity, lack of usable sights and difficult to reload.

The LCP is a fancy Keltec. Call me a gun snob, but I had one of those pieces of trash when they first came out. Granted I only paid $250 for it NIB, it felt like a cheaply made toy. I sold it before I shot it and after it came back from the factory for the recall. If you have an LCP you should check out the Glock 42. The 42 is bigger but it's also built better and doesn't feel like garbage.

I will be moving to the 42 for pocket carry. I'm currently carrying a 26 on my ankle as a bug and it's quite a chore.

JR1572[/QUOTE]

This.
    I had to return a Keltec .32 ACP that came from the factory with an out of spec slide. Keltec did correct the problem.
    I like the Smith and Wesson Shield for an ankle or pocket gun. They are well built and feel sturdy and you have a dependable 9mm. The Shield is not the smallest gun but with a good pocket holster and the right pants or shorts it can be concealed well. I also think it is a durable enough gun that you can train with it without breaking something.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One comment on the Ruger LCP. I don't care if its a better gun than the Keltec, I don't like what they did. They stole the design and as far as I know Keltec wasn't compensated. That's not right...

brand0n5o4

OFFICER PLZ
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Metairie
    i own all three, and hate the keltec. the p3at just stays in my kitchen/bathroom for when im not around my home defense gun. Now lets talk about the LCP or Bodyguard. I perfer the Bodyguard over the LCP for ergonomic reasons, but both serve a different purpose. To me, they being that theyre so small, either or does the job right. The LCP and Bodyguard both conceal the same way, even though they dont look it. I like the added laser of the bodyguard and finger grooves to help handle better.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My wife has had a 642 for a long time. As her carry gun.
    She likes it and can shoot it so it is best for her. It is light and she likes it, so is comfortable with it.
    Another Family member liked my PPK/S so much even tough heavy. They grabbed one and use it not as a BUG but as a primary. A small gun all the time, is better than a large one sometimes. So he is happy
    My super heavy Colt Mustang was used many years back when, due to convenience of size did i say it was heavy LOL
    So heavy it shoots well with 380 lead round nose handloads at the range that's it is fun

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    i own all three, and hate the keltec. the p3at just stays in my kitchen/bathroom for when im not around my home defense gun. Now lets talk about the LCP or Bodyguard. I perfer the Bodyguard over the LCP for ergonomic reasons, but both serve a different purpose. To me, they being that theyre so small, either or does the job right. The LCP and Bodyguard both conceal the same way, even though they dont look it. I like the added laser of the bodyguard and finger grooves to help handle better.
    My silly post above, was meant to be like yours. That a gun that fits the person using it and is comfortable is 100% best.
    My wife can shoot her 642 way better than I and she likes it and it is her go to gun.
    I myself like the 380's even grabbed some target grips for the Mustang since i liked shooting it so much. I should take a picture of them. It makes the gun much larger in my hands.
    It is a danger to carry in pocket as it is easy to grab and fire without a good pocket holster The safely can be hit and fired easy if not
    {ie} no matter what ya carry make sure you do so safely

I looked at the new ones and they have a poly frame now. To me it is a bad to choose for a carry gun but would never get rid of mine had it a long time

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Nothing I've learned in the past few weeks gives me any confidence in a pocket pistol whatsoever. ;) And I will not be that close to an attacker either. I will moving off the "X" and shooting multiple rounds on my way to cover.

Those pistols will never be part of my load out.

It's good that you decided not to be that close to your attacker and shooting multiple rounds on your way to cover. Unfortunately, your attacker may decide to be that close to you. Despite all your preparations and awareness, it's naïve to discount the possibility that the attack opens with you being physically grabbed by surprise. I personally feel a pocket gun for your non-dominate hand is not a bad idea, and would reconsider your idea of one never being part of your load out. I carry an LCR in my left pocket, opting for the simpleness of a revolver for a oh crud! second gun. With the right pants, quick access and a draw is doable. If your right arm is grabbed or incapacited, you will lose access to your primary gun, and it gives you a better option than your left fist or a blade. I do agree that a pocket gun is no substitute for a larger primary gun, just food for thought as you plan what you carry.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    not mentioned in the original post, I like the LCR, always nervous of small semi-auto pistols. If I shoved an LCP into a soft spot (belly, thigh, neck, obviously poor shot placement, but if you are rolling on the ground with someone, I'd take any shot I could get), would it properly return to battery for a second shot? Or would it jam. Not sure, never tried, but I feel more comfortable with a revolver for what I would envision my use for a pocket pistol.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    My daily carry is a G26. Or my G23. Or my P229. Mostly my G26.

I still carry when it's the only thing that will fit, a Kel-Tec P32. Laugh all you want, but I've shot the .380's in that small frame and I cannot shoot them well, fast. That is not the case with the P32. I can draw and fire all 8 shots as fast as I can pull the trigger and still keep a 3" group at 12yds. That will get a BG to back off. When I carry it, it's my GetMeThe*F*OuttaHere gun. I'm not trying any long shots.:D

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    You guys carrying the Glock 42, what defense round you using?

ATTENTION: Saw this re the Glock 42 and the Barnes tac x-pd 80gr.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    My pocket gun is a LC9. I don't have the option to carry anything else due to the incision on my back. I can't wear a belt which severely limits my carry possibilities.

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    I can't believe more people aren't going with the SIG p938/p238. I went from an m&p9c to the p938, and never looked back. Its smaller, I shoot it better, and have never had a FTF/FTE.

Top Bottom