Building a lightweight .308 AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LibertygirlRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    New to building an AR-15. Any suggestions on some lightweight .308 lowers and uppers? Any other parts suggestions or pics appreciated!

Last edited:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    For starters, the lowers in that link will not work if you want a 308 AR.

The lower itself is physically bigger.

Whats the budget for the build and intended uses?
    DPMS makes a lopro hunter 308 AR that is pretty nice.

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think you will want to look into ar-10 uppers and lowers as they will accommodate the longer cartridge of the .308. If I'm not mistaken billet uppers and lowers are a tad heavier than forged for lightweight concerns.

I seem to remember Smith and Wesson has released a new ar-10 .308 that is 7.8 lbs. I think DPMS makes a lighter weight version as well, but they aren't interchangeable with other ar-10's due to their proprietary nature. As mentioned above.

Good luck, I'm jealous.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I have an dpms lr-308 ap4. It's AR carbine length, 8lbs. I think that it's weight can be reduced with lighter Handguard.
    But it's an 308 it's going to be heavy.
    Just by googling I found that most of the 308 heavy hitters are in the 8 pound range, scar, keltec rfb, light m1a.

LibertygirlRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    yea looking into AR10. Just wanted an idea where to start. This is my first build and first rifle for that matter. Budget is around 2k. This will probably be a gradual build.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I went on the quest for a lightweight .308 AR and here are my findings.

1) The Ruger SR-762 would have honestly been my first choice had it not been so expensive. I handled one THE DAY AFTER I ordered my DPMS.
    2) I choose the DPMS lite hunter in 20". It is advertised at 7.99 lbs. I haven't gotten it on the scale yet, but every indication I have is that it is correct.
    The DPMS .308 lite hunter comes with a LIGHTWEIGHT 20" Stainless Steel barrel. When looking at building my own .308 I called the tech line to ask the weights of barrels and the technician told me that THIS barrel is NOT sold by DPMS except for attached to the DPMS lite hunter rifle and it (or the 18" version called lite hunter compact) are the lightest .308 barrels they make. Now, there are other barrel makers that will make match barrels for in the $350-500 range that are compatible and comparable, but I choose the lite hunter for a few more reasons. It also has one of the lightest uppers on it...much slimmer than the older thicker DPMS uppers. It has much more mill work done to it. This rifle also comes with the carbon free floated handguard (tube) and it also comes with a HOGUE grip and a VERY NICE 2 stage trigger. After all was said and done, I got the rifle delivered to my FFL for $1275. I ordered from Cheaperthandirt (they absolutely had the best price at the time), but they are SUPER DUPER SLOW on shipping (LIKE 10 days!).

Anyway, good luck with your decision. If looking for a 16" don't even hesitate on the Ruger...gun is INCREDIBLY LIGHT for a piston gun. I honestly would have loved to have one, but my money was spent already.

If you need a JP single stage trigger I have one new in box. I had no idea that the hunter came with such a nice trigger until it showed and I ordered the JP single at the same time. If you need it shoot me a PM I'll sell it to you cheaper than you can find it anywhere.

20131114_221222.jpg

Last edited:

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I drilled the tube and mounted a couple of magpul moe rails on it. Shot it this weekend for the first time. With ziess conquest 3x9x40 scope and nikon m-223 mount and full 20 rds it weghs 10.6 lbs. Balances very well though. I will be changing stock to something that has a recoil pad of some sort because laying prone for 80+ rds tenderized the hell out of my shoulder and collar bone area!

aba2ubu8.jpg
    vumezuhu.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/dp...-win-16-191-6-pos-stk-blk-92795-free-shipping
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/dp...-rem-16-191-6-pos-stk-blk-87295-free-shipping

The DPMS .308s seem to be a pretty good deal. With that much money left over you could do some sweet optics or get another upper receiver in one of the other long action calibers. .243 win, .260 rem, 6.5 Creedmore Creedmoor, and many many more.

All of those including .308Win are short action calibers.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    All of those including .308Win are short action calibers.

I've seen a lot of people, when specifically talking about ARs, refer to AR15 style as 'short action' and AR10 as 'long action' - obviously due to the difference of 5.56 based cases (and those near) and the .308 based cases.

What is a more accurate term to refer to that difference? Short and Long are obviously relative terms, so context matters, but it's apparently not as subjective as I assumed.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This may not be the 100% Wikipedia defenition but basically long action calibers are calibers that require a LONG Action to be used in a bolt rifle. Short action calibers can be fired from a SHORT Action in a bolt rifle.

When specifically talking AR's I would personally use the terms AR-15 based or "AR-10" based. I specifically put AR-10 in quotes because when saying AR-10 you are talking specifically to the Armalite Trademarked name and rifle AR-10. However, most use it interchangeably with the LR-308 based platforms as well.

To some it is just semantics but to others it is like saying "Clips". It quickly lets others know your knowledge level. Show up at a real rifle shop (gunsmith / rifle builder); not a cop store that sells guns, and say those calibers are long actions and you are going to get some weird looks.

Not trying to be an ass just trying to keep the information on here correct. And I am losing BAD!

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    What is a more accurate term to refer to that difference? Short and Long are obviously relative terms, so context matters, but it's apparently not as subjective as I assumed.

AR15 lower or AR10/LR308 lower. A true long action lower is generally not going to have anything in common with other manufactures like the first two do, so it's probably best to address it as the particular brand and model (i.e. Nemo Omen .300wm)

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    To some it is just semantics but to others it is like saying "Clips". It quickly lets others know your knowledge level.
    That's spot-on exactly why I asked, haha. I know the differences, but wouldn't have known a better way to say it. I normally say "308 AR" instead of AR10/LR308, because I know there's a difference, and "AR10 or LR308" is too many syllables for me to bother with :P

Thanks for the tips y'all.

Top Bottom