Building My First Lower

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    I'm building my first AR-15 lower. I have all the roll pin punches, but I'm worried about the installation of the pivot pins. I've heard thats the most difficult part and I really don't want to mar the lower receiver. I've heard tell of a "Pivot Pin Installation Tool," but I've never seen one. Also, I don't have a stock wrench, any good substitutes for either? Appreciate your advice.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You don't need a pivot pin tool, I've never understood why people make such a big deal out of that part. Just use any flat, thin piece of metal (I use a feeler gauge, also heard people using a razor blade or even butter knife) to hold the detent down while you slide the pin in and over it. No sweat. Put a little oil on anything you're worried about marring.

Only other advice I have is make damn sure you properly support the ear of the trigger guard while knocking in that pin, and tape up the lower when installing the bolt catch pin to prevent marring.

Yes, you should get a castle nut wrench for the stock. You can get a specific tool for around $6, or go ahead and invest ~$20 in an AR multi use tool which will come in handy if you ever decided to build an upper.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have assembled a few lowers, takes maybe 10 minutes. A small hammer, some kind of punch that isn't huge and your fingers are all that is needed other than the castle nut tool. A spring flying across the room is your biggest worry other than scratching the finish. You can also set the castle but with a drift and hammer if you don't have the correct spanner.
    Assemble it on a wood table with a towel or something over it, I think I used a TV tray the last few times.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    Don't stress over it. The hardest part is what Speedracer said. Not scratching up your lower when installing the bolt catch pin. Now if you were building years ago before millions of youtube videos it was a little more confusing. Just find one of the good videos that has good quality closeups and you'll be fine.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Brownell's has the best videos for assembling an AR. Just go there and watch and pause as needed. I actually sit on the floor with a sheet over my head in case of deadly flying springs. One suggestion I have is to always have extra of the springs just in case. Other than that everyone has pretty much laid out the basics and given great tips.

Top Bottom