bulk storage of ammo question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    About the time i got started on this forum, i started stockpiling ammunition (go figure... i have made the correlation yet, but I digress)

i have my ammo piling up in my big safe, both in loose stacks and in .50 cal ammo cans. What won't fit there is in my bedroom, also in .50 cal cans....

it occurred to me the other day, as i was putting away my latest purchases, that if for some reason my house was to catch fire, the fireman would probably just evacuate the neighbors and let it burn because to actively fight the fire might mean getting shot. Additionally, since the safe is near one of my son's bedrooms, he might be an early casualty of the fire if the heat set off rounds that managed to exit the safe.

i can't be the only one with multiple thousands of rounds of ammo.... where do you keep yours to keep it safe and dry without running this risk, or am i all wrong in my concerns?

Thanks,
    Mike
    :confused::confused::confused:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Most bulk ammo I keep in the closet. I figure if I'm not out by the time that **** will explode it wouldn't much matter.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    ammo cans are probably the best bet to keep them dry.

as for the bullets shooting people. you don't need to worry yourself with that one. the brass is the week spot so the will just pop the cases. the projectile will not be flying like if it were coming out of the barrel of a gun. if you were standing by them you may catch some shrapnel but it wont penetrate through the walls of the house.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

as for the bullets shooting people. you don't need to worry yourself with that one. the brass is the week spot so the will just pop the cases. the projectile will not be flying like if it were coming out of the barrel of a gun. if you were standing by them you may catch some shrapnel but it wont penetrate through the walls of the house.

this

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    think of the ammo as just popcorn without a barrel and chamber.. they are pretty harmless without a way to direct the pressures..

primers are a different story though but not much..

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central

Mythbusters proved that on a recent episode . Still , don't expect the firemen to go charging into a house where ammo is cooking off .

Top Bottom