Bullet Casting Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppaj78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I hope this is the rite spot to post this question. I have been reloading for 2yrs now and want to try my hand at casting. The only problem that I am having is finding wheel weights. The few local shops here have their regulars that the are loyal to. I was thinking about buying from rotometals. My question is how many bullets can be casted from 5 pounds of lead. Rite now I am shooting Rainier bullets just to (plink). It is costing me around 18 dollars plus shipping for them. Would it be cheaper to buy the lead from roto or just keep shooting Rainier. P.S I REALLY ENJOY RELOADING SO I THINK I WOULD ENJOY CASTING TOO. NOT JUST TO SAVE MONEY BUT THAT HELPS.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The number of bullets you get from a pound depends on the size of the bullet. There are 7000 grains to the pound. If you cast, let's say, a 158 grain bullet you will get about 44 bullets from a pound of lead. A word of caution on wheel weights. They are not all made of lead. Some are steel, and some are zinc. You do NOT want to melt the zinc weights into your lead alloy.

saint451

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Hammond
    1 pound has 7000grains. 5 x 7000 = 35000grns So 35000grns / 135 grn bullet(insert your grn bullet mold) = 259 135grn bullets from 5lbs. This is the perfect situation, 100% lead usage.

poppaj78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am sorry im planning on casting 9mm 115 gr and 230 gr 45. And yes i know about the wheel weights I have been doing quite a bit of reading and googling this matter. I just wanted to see from someone that cast their own bullets. Is it worth buying the lead. Didn't know how many bullets could be produced from a pound of lead.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    join castboolits.com. you can buy good boolit alloys for $1/lb shipped or less.

Ditto this, but also to learn from a very large group of bullet casters.

I don't approach bullet casting as a way to save money. I enjoy the process, but then I have a lot of spare time. To me, my enjoyment is from working towards attaining the same accuracy level with cast bullets as I can with jacketed.

There are many reason to start casting. Pick and choose as many reasons as applies.
    1. Save money
    2. Shoot more for the same money
    3. Pass the time
    4. Produce bullets that are not normally or easily available
    5. Strive to achieve one hole accuracy with personally made bullets (can require much $$$, research, and time)

Just to name a few. I kinda use all 5 reasons, depending upon which gun I cast for.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    its alot of fun and with the way things have been going since dec 2012 , and hunting season just around the corner , making your own just makes more sense , 2nd on castboolits.com , you can find good lead cheaper than rotometals unless you want a certain blend .

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    As long as GAT Bullets sells lead bullets for less than $60 a thousand, I'm not casting. I cast years ago and quit when my son was born. I didn't want him sniffing lead fumes. He's 20 now, and I haven't cast since.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    As long as GAT Bullets sells lead bullets for less than $60 a thousand, I'm not casting. I cast years ago and quit when my son was born. I didn't want him sniffing lead fumes. He's 20 now, and I haven't cast since.

This is a common misconception. There is not threat of "lead fumes" during bullet casting. Most lead melting pots operate at a temperature level far too low to vaporize lead. You would need to reach the boiling point of lead which is nearly 3200 degrees. Ain't gonna happen casting bullets. It is a poor idea however to have a young child anywhere near a bullet casting operation strickly from a burn safety standpoint. In fact, it is best practiced as a solitary hobby to prevent undue distractions which could lead to an accident.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    This is a common misconception. There is not threat of "lead fumes" during bullet casting. Most lead melting pots operate at a temperature level far too low to vaporize lead. You would need to reach the boiling point of lead which is nearly 3200 degrees. Ain't gonna happen casting bullets. It is a poor idea however to have a young child anywhere near a bullet casting operation strickly from a burn safety standpoint. In fact, it is best practiced as a solitary hobby to prevent undue distractions which could lead to an accident.

Very true.

The smell is impurities. Until you hit that transition point where you're getting lead vapor... you're not breathing in lead fumes. Now, I don't know that the impurities burning off are all that healthy to breathe in either, though.

highstandard40 is correct about the burn hazards, though. Even a little condensation on lead, when it's dropped into the pot can cause splattering and subsequent burns.

Also, tin was mentioned before in the wheel weights... If you did happen to miss a tin weight and drop it in the pot, tin (787 F) has a higher melting point than lead (622 F) so unless you have the pot turned up too high, the zinc will float on top of the lead. If you happen to find steel weights.... the melting point (depending on type) is 2600+ F... not likely to melt that.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Check your Yellow Pages under Scrap Metals, Junk Dealers, and Recycling Centers. I looked in the Baton Rouge directory and there were 6 different places listed along with a website...www.allscrapmetals.net.
    You don't list your location or I would have given some specific's. Don't give up, I have been casting since 1967 and find it a fun hobby to go along with reloading and shooting.
    The " dangers " of lead are blown all out of proportion to what they really are, just don't eat lead and wash up after fooling with it . I asked my doctor about getting tested, I have some lead bullet fragments in me from a 22 lead hollw point and he said not to worry it had to be ingested to be harmful. I think Californa has put out a lot of bogus bad PR on lead just because they don't like anything that can be shot out of a gun. I think they even tried to outlaw fishing sinkers.
    Gary

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I get lots of lead from a friends shop who has a tore machine and castboolits site.
    I also think there is more bad lead from shooting inside with lead primers than lead bullets.
    Cheap Lube is also not to good for you. The lube I use is almost 100% smokeless. Some powders are very bad for smoke and fumes and are far worse then the lead

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Another great thing about casting your own is you are not at the mercy of the supply and demand factor every time a politican says gun-law and people panic, then buy everything in sight. I have a mould for every cal. I own and never have a bullet supply problem. When I want them ,I heat up the pot and cast them. I know a lot of folks still waiting on back-orders to be shipped whenever the factories get caught up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom