Bullet failure.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Long story short.i was shooting a match,had a round in the chamber ran out of time.i dropped my mag,racked my slide bullet came out of chamber hit the ground and kaboom.

Found the bullet casing and primer.i can see anvil marks from the primer on the case.brass sharded hit my leg more of a scare then anything.few people looked at it seems people thought it was a freak accident.

Reloaded some rounds yesterday same routine I always have done.came back today checked n made sure all primers were properly seated and they were.

Maybe was just chance the case hit something on the ground and went off.im just glad it hit me and noone else.even just a hell of a chance it did it I'd still feel bad and responsible because it was my bullet my gun my doing.

I finished the math which I couldn't even remember the order to shoot adrenaline was pumping.wut d hell r d odds of that happening?

cberge8

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    Houma, LA
    What brand/lot number of primers were you using? Sounds like a hangfire to me.

How do you prime? Is it possible the primers were contaminated in some way?

Seems really unlikely that something on the ground hit the primer just right to set it off.

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    Was cci large pistol primers. Prime them all by hand with rcbs hand primer.primer couldn't have been sticking out because I see the mark from the anvil on the primer that u usually see when u decap.no way a hangfire.triger was never depressed.i was racking my slide because the buzzer sounded to clear the pistol.one man said he had seen it once before

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    This was no failure of any kind. When the cartridge hit the concrete, it landed just right. The primer hit something small enough to dent it. This has happenes much more often than you can imagine. In most cases, it happens with large primers.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    This was no failure of any kind. When the cartridge hit the concrete, it landed just right. The primer hit something small enough to dent it. This has happenes much more often than you can imagine. In most cases, it happens with large primers.

Agreed.

I saw it happen for the first time in person a few months ago, on medium sized chunks of gravel with relatively sharp edges. It was a .45 cartridge with Federal LPP-- plenty soft enough with plenty of mass behind it to touch the round off.

Be happy it didn't happen in the gun, off of the ejector. And remember that's why you don't cover the ejection port when dropping a live round...

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Yup. Seen this twice, both involving 12 gauge shells on a limestone rock parking lot.

What's even more exciting is when you're clearing a pistol, the case head slips off the extractor but the cartridge is still forced rearward by the barrel hood, and is jammed against the ejector- bang.

Seen this happen twice as well; once with a P228, once with a G19. This one has the potential for real injury; the P228 dude needed four stitches, the G19 dudette got by with a band-aid. Both weren't hurt worse because they did what they had been taught and kept their hand clear of the election port while manipulating the slide.

But I know of a federal agent who had this occur with a S&W auto of some sort; he had his hand directly over the port; the jagged edges of the ruptured case, along with pieces of same, embedded in his palm and caused permanent nerve damage.

Granted, this sort of mishap is so rare as to the odds of it happening being almost astronomical; until it happens to YOU.

This type of detonation is more commonly referred to as "40 Hand" Most 2011 style guns feed better with ammo that is loaded longer than spec. Upon clearing the gun, the nose of the bullet is still partially in the chamber. The ejector can't do it's job, so the extractor turns the case loose. The loaded round is then bouncing around in the ejection port and the ejector knows exactly where the primer is. Helped a friend pull shards of brass from his hand and chest.

HitNmiss

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    norco,la
    That particular load is not loaded hot by far and is a very mild load.its loaded short dunno the oal length at d moment because I'm at work.figured it was just a turn of bad luck.wanted to see if anyone else had similar experices and as I read it's not a uncommon thing

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    That particular load is not loaded hot by far and is a very mild load.its loaded short dunno the oal length at d moment because I'm at work.figured it was just a turn of bad luck.wanted to see if anyone else had similar experices and as I read it's not a uncommon thing
    Not something you see every day but it does happen.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Weird **** happens. That's why Gomez strongly advocates not doing the old "hand over the ejection port trick" to catch a round being removed from the chamber. It's a one-in-a-million something could touch the round off, but it has happened and there's no point in taking the chance. He also recommends bringing a small pillow everywhere you go to place on the ground before ejecting a live round, to prevent instances like the OP's.

Okay...I made the last part up. :rofl:

Top Bottom