Bump stock executive order?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I am sure that those who do not do not turn them in will claim ignorance of the new law. But we all know that that won't fly if they push it.

riverrat66

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2016
    The hills of St Helena parish
    Taking rights comes in stages. When seatbelts became mandatory we were told that nobody would be ticketed unless stopped for another reason. 1 year later we started seeing seatbelt checkpoints. Just my opinion but if you give them a law they will use it to make money. In New Orleans most traffic cameras are in working order. But most crime cameras are not. That proves to me that its not about safety. Just revenue.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Taking rights comes in stages. When seatbelts became mandatory we were told that nobody would be ticketed unless stopped for another reason. 1 year later we started seeing seatbelt checkpoints. Just my opinion but if you give them a law they will use it to make money. In New Orleans most traffic cameras are in working order. But most crime cameras are not. That proves to me that its not about safety. Just revenue.

Your comparison incorrectly implies an entity is maintaining the camera system designed to make money while not maintaining the camera system designed to make people safe. The crime cameras and the traffic cameras were not install nor were they maintained by the same entity.

The traffic cameras were installed and are maintained by an entity outside of the City of New Orleans. That company's source of revenue is a percentage of the civil penalties collected from the traffic cameras. (Note: unless the laws have changed very recently, these are not tickets. The law did not have a process in place for collection other than having a vehicle towed if it was found parked on a public street. They were not allowed to report any unpaid civil penalties to a credit bureau. And the penalties were tied to the plate/vehicle, not the owner. In other words, if a owner sold the vehicle and bought a new vehicle, the fine essentially disappeared.)

On the other hand, the city installed the original crime camera system under Ray Nagin. People went to prison over kickbacks and bribes related to the contracts for those cameras. The crime cameras were supposed to be maintained by the City of New Orleans. The cameras themselves were off the shelf surveillance cameras. The system installation was all about revenue with possible public safety being an acceptable side effect.

Currently, NOPD has access to 2 camera databases. One contains the location and contact information for over 2300 cameras throughout the city. These are mostly privately owned surveillance system whose owners have volunteered their resources should the police need them to help solve crimes. And a large number of them are available to the detectives without the detectives even having to make contact with the owner. A call or email can be sent to a neutral 3rd party with basic information (time, location, description) and that 3rd party will usually have remote access to the relevant cameras. They will save any relevant video, including tracking the people described before and after the given time.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    It seems to me, trying to "fix" something by legislation because of it's possible potential, is just a violation of our rights. This seems one step closer to banning semi auto rifles, because they can be bump fired without a bump stock.

Stuff like this is legislating to the lowest common denominator, which is totally against freedom. With freedom comes responsibility, and yes, risk. There are tons of things sold legally than can be used to damage property or lives if intentionally misused.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    What happen if you install your bump fire stock on your M-16? Just asking for a friend.

I definitely won’t sleep tonight. I feel for your friend. He is in a bad situation. Glad I traded mine for an optic a few years ago. I’m just worried next might be the military style red dot optics that make acquiring targets much quicker therefore making it much more deadly. Maybe they will ban them too. You know, it’s for the children.

DR.NUMBERS

Addict of the Arcane Arts
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Battin Rudge
    For years the Republicans have been saying give us control of the senate then we can pass gun legislation that protects our rights, so we did. Then they said well we need you to vote us a president that is a Republican so we can make this happen, so we did.

For the last two years what have they done with this power? The house passed HB 38 national resipocity, but the senate refuses to even take it up. Senator Kennedy at least proposed legislation that would make it illegal for banks to discriminate against gun sellers and manufacturers, but that isn’t going anywhere.

The worst part is this bump stock ban. I don’t own one of these stupid things, but that fact that Republicans don’t say a word about letting one man have the power to arbitrarily make citizens turn in or destroy their legally purchased property, or become felons is an abuse of power that even Obama didn’t even try. The second amendment will be in a far worse place at the end of these two years under the Republicans than it ever was under the last eight with Obama in power. If this ban goes through, you can bet the anti-gunners will use it when they get in power, and they will get in power.

Voting for Republicans for me and I assume most of you is like voting for the lesser of two evils, on a good day. But I think this is a wake up call that none of these politicians serve our interests.

I know it’s a long shot, but call Sen. Kennedy and Sen. Kassidy and see if they can put pressure on the senate leadership to take up HB 38 in the lame duck, and to oppose this bump stock ban. At least they might get the point of why the gun community will not support their re-election campaign.

Exactly, we had Republicans in the executive, the senate, and the house and we got nothing. We will never, ever get an inch back with any of this current bunch. The house had two pieces of pro-2a legislation passed and McConnell let it die in the senate. No national reciprocity, no hearing protection act, not a thing. Thanks a lot.

None of these politicians care about gun rights, they just care about getting your vote and staying in office.

Last edited:

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Trump and the Republican Congress has left a lot of Republicans scathing their heads this week. I truly hope they get a spine for Christmas. If they are too scared to fight while they controlled it all, God help us over the next 2 years.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    This is just one action in a long line of actions aimed at making the 2nd amendment useless.

The goal is to disarm America.

More regulations are coming.

No doubt. Eff the libs and their BS. They really want to turn the good guys into bad guys. What a shitty open minded thing to do.

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/a6m30w/everyone_in_america_has_a_closet_full_of/

I mean, we all already have a closet full of machine guns so I'm not really put out by this unconstitutional power grab. Nor of course is any other person with good or bad intentions.

That said... There is no precedent for a US president to unilaterally decide that your personal property suddenly makes you a felon. The ATF told gun owners and manufacturers over and over, 'yes this is legal, there is no way to interpret it otherwise.' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryIJIrD5eQ

The closest I can think of is drugs. With drugs, congress at least passed a law that granted authority for the AG to add and remove items from a list of banned substances. AG could wake up tomorrow and say, 'yup. Advil is illegal. round em up.' And that would at least be constitutional (if also tyrannical). This is not. This is some of the wildest stuff I've ever experienced.

"iT's JuSt a ToY", "It's 4d cHeSs" :blah: Y'all still gonna vote for this ass-clown in 2020?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom