Buying a car, need help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    Okay so I'm buying my first car in my name.

I have to do all of this:

Have the previous owner to sign the title to you, and have the title notarized.

Write the odometer reading on the back of the title. If the car’s less than 10 years old, you’ll need to fill out an Odometer Disclosure Statement.

Fill out a notarized Bill of Sale, if the sell price isn't listed on the title.

Take these documents to an OMV location. There’s an $18.50 transfer fee, plus a handling fee. There are also sales tax and other fees, which vary according to your location.

Fill out the Application for a Title.

I'll have insurance the day I buy the car, so can I just drive it down to the DMV and fill out all of the paperwork after having the Bill of Sale and Title notarized?

Does the notary have to be there with us?
    Does the seller have to do anything other than sign the bill of sale and sign the title over to me?

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Make sure you get witnesses to sign also! I have had them require that even though some say it's not needed.

Sounds about right. Notary nor seller have to be with you at omv assuming all your paperwork is in order.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Have the previous owner to sign the title to you, and have the title notarized.

Write the odometer reading on the back of the title. If the car’s less than 10 years old, you’ll need to fill out an Odometer Disclosure Statement.

Fill out a notarized Bill of Sale, if the sell price isn't listed on the title.

I think for it to be legal all the above needs to be done at the Notary some of them will do it without the seller but I don't think it's legal.

You don't know have to take the Notary or the seller to DMV.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    If I were you (first timer) I would think it money well spent to use one of these places that is basically a notary who is hot-linked to the DMV computer and can do the transaction for you and issue a plate. They will have all the forms, etc. as well. Not to mention the fact that you will avoid the two hour wait with the riff-raff.

St.Francisville

Hardheaded Young'n
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Wilson, LA
    There's a DMV right in Saint Francisville.
    I've never waited more than 15 minutes.
    Haha. 2 hours. Wow.

It's just that I'm buying the car from an old man who lives way down towards Angola and I don't want him to have to drive his ratty old pickup all the way into town.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I've never had the seller present at the notary. Last time I bought a car the woman signed the title and filled in all the info...I had two 'witnesses' sign it later when I got home. One of them who signed rode with me to the notary. Then again, this tag/notary place is pretty laid back, lol.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    What notary you plan on using? Courthouse is easiest and charges I think $5 per stamp.
    Bill of sale is not necessary, only for sellers peace of mind now.
    You are both supposed to be present at the notary.
    After it is notarized and paid for, everything else is on you, seller is no longer needed.

It is plainly printed on the back of the title how to do the witness thing, but some people cannot understand this, I sold a suv a few years ago and could not make the lawyer that was notarizing the sig of one of the witnesses understand that I did not have to be in his presence.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I just transferred a title on a car last week. FYI - it's a $28.50 charge for the new title (not including taxes on purchase price).

It's really easy, your aunt/notary will be able to take care of everything. It's all pretty simple - usually takes less than 10 minutes.

Good luck, and be sure you and the seller agree on a "price" before you see the notary - they tax you at the DMV on the purchase price of the vehicle ;);)

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The tax is 4% because it is only the state tax that needs to be paid.

To be done correctly, the title has to be signed by the seller in front of the notary, OR the seller has to sign in front of witnesses, and then the witness can sign in front of the notary.

If you don't want the old man to have to drive to town, just bring witnesses with you and read the title carefully and follow instructions.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    recently I traded a 95 silverado for a 2000 mustang. The notary put 0 as the price, even though I told her multiple times it will not work. So I ended up having to put a 1 in front and made it 10.00, I was nervous, i buy and sell alott of cars and never went that low, but hey it worked.. But yea the notary will take care of everything, the title is now used as a bill of sale unless seller wants one, just go to dmv with title and cash and you will get registration and plate will come in between i think 4 to 10 days

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Yup, you pay regular tax rate, here it is 8 or 9%
    The witness thing is described on the back of the title, but some notaries are incompetent and cannot read, that is what I described earlier (that guy is a local lawyer) and told me I was interpreting what was written on the back of the title wrong.
    I remember buying my first truck in 96, it was last titled in 1974 and that title did not have to be notarized at all, just 2 witnesses.

Top Bottom