Buying a Mosin Nagant need help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I took off all week next week and if I feel well enough after my surgery I am going to go to the closest Cabela's (about 1.5 hours) to me to buy a Mosin. I've called the store and they have plenty to choose from. I've also searched the internet on things to look for but I'd like to know from any of you guys who might have one. What should I look for when choosing the right Mosin? I am thinking about buying two. One to keep in original condition and one to put an archangel stock on.

Thanks

navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    Check the rifling and also make sure the bore hasn't been redone. You can usually tell by marks around the end of the barrel. Also lift up the rear sight leaf and check to see if there is a set screw towards the rear. If there is one the rear sight has been soldered on and it will take a blower tourch to heat it up to remove the solder. You will also have to drill out the set screw. This is all if you wanted to remove the rear sight and use the already existing dove tale to mount a scout scope mount to.

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Look for matching numbers, on the reciever,bolt,buttplate,and the bottom of the fixed magazine,also make sure its not counter bored,though some that are counter bored are just as accurate. Thats the best basic info i can give you from experience,you could also try 7.62x54r.net , hope this helps you.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    Thanks guys. I saw that post earlier but I missed the associated link which I am going to go through now. Since one is going into the archangel stock, the only requirement is that is shoot flawlessly. As for the second, it will be more of a collectors gun so I will need to be much more picky about all of the little details. I've read that it should not be counter-bored but it seems that when ordering online that is luck of the draw. After reading a few other posts on the forum, I'm not optimistic of the quality in the stock left over at Cabela's. Thanks again though for the input.

navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    I was there at cabelas today and the stocks are all just fine. If you don't like any of the ones you see there are like 80 more in the back.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    Navy, by stock left over I meant the amount of guns left over, not the actual stock on the gun. From your post I can't tell if this is what you meant. Either way, I didn't know that they had much more in the back so that does make me feel a little bit better about being able to cherry pick through what they have. I am just going to have to read up quite a bit more before I go out there so I will have the knowledge on how to pick out the best gun. Thanks for the info.

navysooner

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Metairie
    oh ok sorry. The ones they have out on display are nice just look at the bore. They don't necessarily put the best ones out front they just pick up alot of them and throw them on the shelves. The shipment they have right now didn't come with the bayonet or the cleaning kits. The cleaning kit multitool is a must for measuring the firing pin when you pull the bolt apart to clean it. But they are constantly getting more shipments in.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    That's exactly the info that I am trying to find out. I was not concerned about all of the accessories that are supposed to come with the gun as long as it was kept up really well and in excellent condition. I would have never known that I need the cleaning kit multitool. Thanks a lot.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    I think I am just going to play the luck of the draw from Classic Firearms. After reading the reviews, some were duds but most people were very satisfied with their purchase. Plus their guns come with all of the accessories.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom