Buying powder at Cabelas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    I wanted to get a 4# jug of WST and decided to try to get it locally to keep from paying the hazmat fee. I looked on Cabela's site and they had it listed. So I called the store and a very polite man told me that they had no WST in stock. And that as a rule they only stock 1# containers at the store.

My next question was "Can I have you order a 4# jug in your next order and pick it up at the store"? He said "yes" so I said I wanted to order some. "I'll be glad to help you with that" he said. Then "I'll have to charge you $25 for hazmat."

WTF? You try to spend your money locally and they pull this type of stuff? It's enough to make a man stop buying locally and shop exclusively on-line. Needless to say I didn't buy any powder at Cabela's :mad:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Louisiana Guns and Reloading on Jefferson Hwy. has changed ownership and although they are waiting on their FFL to come in...they have powder and primers. If they don't have what you need I'll bet they will order it for you with their next order of powder and primers....and won't charge you a haz mat fee.

Check them out.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    DM,

I will be making another powder order in a few days. Do you want me to get a 4# of WST? I have an 8# can all ready. Give me a call at 225-202-3902.

Bryan

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I wanted to get a 4# jug of WST and decided to try to get it locally to keep from paying the hazmat fee. I looked on Cabela's site and they had it listed. So I called the store and a very polite man told me that they had no WST in stock. And that as a rule they only stock 1# containers at the store.

My next question was "Can I have you order a 4# jug in your next order and pick it up at the store"? He said "yes" so I said I wanted to order some. "I'll be glad to help you with that" he said. Then "I'll have to charge you $25 for hazmat."

WTF? You try to spend your money locally and they pull this type of stuff? It's enough to make a man stop buying locally and shop exclusively on-line. Needless to say I didn't buy any powder at Cabela's :mad:

Alot of times if a store orders something, that individual item will ship to them. That means they will incur the hazmat fee and then pass it on to you. I don't think they are "pulling" anything.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

First off I would not exactly consider a store like Cabelas....locally. You are not helping anyone around here really by buying it from Cabelas. Head over to LA Reloading and really help the locals.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    First off I would not exactly consider a store like Cabelas....locally. You are not helping anyone around here really by buying it from Cabelas. Head over to LA Reloading and really help the locals.

Yeah I wouldn't really consider Cabelas "local." Or at least not for supporting the "local guy." But they do employ local people. But they don't pay any Louisiana taxes. . . neither does Bass Pro. :D

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la

I wasn't trying to help out anyone locally. I was trying to save some money. I buy were I can get the most bang for my buck unless I need or want it in a hurry.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I wasn't trying to help out anyone locally. I was trying to save some money. I buy were I can get the most bang for my buck unless I need or want it in a hurry.

I understand that completely and do that sometimes too. However; if the price difference is just a few dollars I would rather buy from a local guy and help his business out rather than just send my money elsewhere.

At places like Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Walmart etc......you usually cant price negotiate or get them to throw in something free. That being said I did pick up a Golden Boy from Academy the other day and the lady there threw in a box of .22 bullets........for .01 cent. Could not do it for free but it was a 7.00 box of bullets for .01 cent....I didnt complain.

Top Bottom