CA Shooter

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I understand now that the latest CA shooter *legally* built his own rifle with *legally* purchased kit parts, so there would have been no registration, etc. I've owned firearms for decades and I've heard others talk about building guns but never tried it myself (though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that difficult). Anybody here done that?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I understand now that the latest CA shooter *legally* built his own rifle with *legally* purchased kit parts, so there would have been no registration, etc. I've owned firearms for decades and I've heard others talk about building guns but never tried it myself (though I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that difficult). Anybody here done that?

Yes. Building AR platform rifles/pistols isn't very difficult. The "gun" is the lower receiver as it has the serial number. There's no registration in Louisiana but there is a paper trail because of the paperwork. You can do a google search for "80% lower" and you will find chunks of metal or plastic that have been milled/molded as far as they can be without being classified as a weapon. You finish the last 20% and you are good to go. There's no serial number and no paperwork. You cannot transfer them or sell them or give them away. As with any DIY project, there are initial tool costs. But you can build a number of weapons: AR's, Glocks, 1911's, 10/22's. And you can get an 80% in at least a Glock and an AR, probably others if someone thinks there's a big enough demand.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...There's no serial number and no paperwork. You cannot transfer them or sell them or give them away... you can build a number of weapons: AR's, Glocks, 1911's, 10/22's...

With no serial # or paperwork, how would anyone know if a weapon was transferred/sold/given?

I've always wanted a 1911...

Top Bottom