Cabelas CCW story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    I went to Cabelas sunday night around 8:30 to run in real fast because i had a gift card that i wanted to spend before I lost it. I was carrying my gun concealed and when i walked in I saw a sign that said ALL weapons must be checked in so i thought about it for a second and then i saw a man standing behind a foldout table and another sign that said ALL WEAPONS MUST BE CHECKED IN. So i decided to ask the guy if it was ok that i was carrying concealed and that I had a Louisiana concealed carry permit. He asked me if i was Law Enforcement and I said no. He said that i could not carry in the store unless i was LEO. I stood there looking at him for a second and asked if he was serious and he asked me if it was loaded and i said of course.

He told me that only LEO can carry in the store and no loaded weapons were allowed so I went back and put the gun in my truck. i was pissed at that point and thought about talking to the manager but i was with a few friends and i didnt want to cause a scene. I am about to e-mail them and find out what their weapon policy is. Has this happened to any of you?

Oh yeah and i dont plan on ever going back. I would have left but I had the gift card and i didnt want them to get any free money off of me so i went back in and spent it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    YMMV, IANAL etc...

"All weapons must be checked in" does not mean "No weapons allowed," and thus, you would not be barred from entering that establishment with a CHP under LA state CHP law, as far as I know.

Besides, concealed means concealed and all that jazz.

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    Concealed has always meant concealed to me. Many gun stores have this posted and I believe it pertains to weapons you mean to trade in/get work performed on.

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    I think Jeremy has went in a few times with his gun. I also know a few other guys that carry inside the store, including employees. The guys at the door are stupid....

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    When i saw the signs i was thinking that they meant just guns that people were bringing in to get fixed or someting but i wanted to be sure so i asked and no was the answer i got.

nikolai

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You make the assumption that the guy at the front knows what he's talking about. Someone just told him to stand up there and check in guns that people bring in. He likely doesn't know anything about the store policy.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    We went through this last year. MEM tried to open carry into Cabelas and got kicked out. He sent a letter to corporate and they replied that it was OK to carry into the store openly or concealed as long as it was legal and holstered.

I can try to find the thread. It's on opencarry.org.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    You make the assumption that the guy at the front knows what he's talking about. Someone just told him to stand up there and check in guns that people bring in. He likely doesn't know anything about the store policy.

There is a very good chance he/she doesnt even know a person can legally carry a concealed firearm. Seriously, the average person has no idea.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    LSU, if that is their policy, what would be the best way to get it in writing? Just send a letter and hope they write back?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Found the thread. Here's the reply from corporate:

Kyle

We have made the desicion to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

For any further information contact the Gonzales store manager. We do not have information on each individual state.

Micki

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/7419-3.html

You should go back to that Cabela's, find the employee, and educate him.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Found the thread. Here's the reply from corporate:

Kyle

We have made the desicion to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

For any further information contact the Gonzales store manager. We do not have information on each individual state.

Micki

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/7419-3.html

You should go back to that Cabela's, find the employee, and educate him.

And his supervisors...:)

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    I went in there a while back and just walked on by. I thought about it and the wording on the sign didn't convince me I needed to disarm. I almost never leave a weapon in my car as break and runs burglaries are a dime a dozen.

Formermonroehand

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Dutchtown
    I go to Cabela's weekly and have never even noticed the sign. I walk right on past CCing and do my business, which has been a lot lately. I would hate to think that of all places, a hunting and outdoors store wouldn't allow CC.

ram03reg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    ok well im glad that i got some responses on this. i feel the same way that many of yall feel..which is just walk by b/c the old guy standing by the fold out table prob dosent know what he is talking about.. and the sign probably just means weapons that are being sold or fixed by cabelas and from now on i will just walk by...but the reason i asked the guy in the first place was because I was curious..i just e-mailed them and ill let you know what they say

Top Bottom