Cabela's plays both sides of the fence.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    I often roll my eyes when I hear or read somewhere that Cabela's is, first and foremost, a friend of gun rights. A few points come to mind, especially a recent situation that one of my friends is experiencing that is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

First off, Cabela's pricing, which is basically MSRP, is not a benefit to the firearms consumer. I am aware that they have a price matching policy, but the major vendors who destroy their pricing are conveniently not on the comparison list. Furthermore, Cabela's engages in the sneaky practice that many big box merchants use. They get the manufacturer to make a "special edition" only for them with an exclusive SKU number. That eliminates price matching because it's not apples to apples. Best Buy is also famous for this.

But here is the incident that involved my friend. He was delayed on his NICS check. He is a LEO, a tax stamp holder, and a frequent buyer of firearms. But a delay is a delay. No big deal. The FBI NICS website states that after 3 days, the FFL holder may release the firearm to a purchaser who was delayed. Cabela's, however, will not make the sale without a "proceed" status. They don't honor the government's rule on delays as so many other FFL holders do. Doing more to hamper gun rights than even the government requires.

So Cabela's may allow you to tote your shootin' iron and they may have good ole' 2nd amendment "sales" but when it comes to really acting on behalf of the second amendment crowd, they leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I stopped going to big box stores years ago. Walmart, Target, Cabelas, Bass Pro, all of them ... they're a blight on the landscape.

Support your neighbors and shop locally. Yes, it costs a few dollars more, but at least you know your money isn't going to some Delaware corporation with bank accounts all over the world.

Mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I stopped going to big box stores years ago. Walmart, Target, Cabelas, Bass Pro, all of them ... they're a blight on the landscape.

Support your neighbors and shop locally. Yes, it costs a few dollars more, but at least you know your money isn't going to some Delaware corporation with bank accounts all over the world.

Mike

My LGS sells for Much Less than Bass Pro and Cabela's.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I have never purchased a gun from cabela's, I will go there to look and fondle but there prices are just to high. That coupled with the commentary from the sales people is enough to deter business.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have never purchased a gun from cabela's, I will go there to look and fondle but there prices are just to high. That coupled with the commentary from the sales people is enough to deter business.

You're braver than I am. I used to get muzzle swept all the time in these stores. Very rarely happens in my LGS, and the shopkeeper will usually correct that behavior pretty quickly.

Mike

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    In Cabela's defense, they were one of the few places (Walmart was another) that did NOT gouge prices on ammo during the shortage of 22LR, .223 and 9mm back a few years ago.
    All the other places went up to ridiculous prices -- I know it is all capitalism but a lot of merchants raped the shooters on ammo because they could.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    In Cabela's defense, they were one of the few places (Walmart was another) that did NOT gouge prices on ammo during the shortage of 22LR, .223 and 9mm back a few years ago.
    All the other places went up to ridiculous prices -- I know it is all capitalism but a lot of merchants raped the shooters on ammo because they could.

This.

aceinyerface

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Bass Pro (who, at one time, took all the black rifles off the shelves because of a mass shooting) bought Cabelas.

unfortunately, since then, Cabelas (who have always been too expensive) stopped doing their frequent sales.

I used to get my primers on sale (which was just standard price from an online seller) from Cabelas. Now, it is cheaper to buy in bulk and pay shipping and hazmat to Get them online.

Savvy buyers research their purchase, buy online for about 10% over cost- no tax, and go to a local FFL for the transfer.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    But here is the incident that involved my friend. He was delayed on his NICS check. He is a LEO, a tax stamp holder, and a frequent buyer of firearms. But a delay is a delay. No big deal. The FBI NICS website states that after 3 days, the FFL holder may release the firearm to a purchaser who was delayed.

The dealer may continue the sale, but they are not required to do so. It is their option. There are a couple of shops here that also will cancel the sale if they don't get a "Proceed".

I feel your friends pain, I'm also frequently "delayed". Retired military with above Top Secret clearance, C&R FFL, and several NFA items. If you have multiple fingerprint cards on file the odds of you being delayed go up exponentially. I've also seen a senior FBI agent get delayed, go figure.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    But here is the incident that involved my friend. He was delayed on his NICS check. He is a LEO, a tax stamp holder, and a frequent buyer of firearms. But a delay is a delay. No big deal. The FBI NICS website states that after 3 days, the FFL holder may release the firearm to a purchaser who was delayed. Cabela's, however, will not make the sale without a "proceed" status. They don't honor the government's rule on delays as so many other FFL holders do. Doing more to hamper gun rights than even the government requires.

A few big box stores have this policy nothing new. People that get delayed a lot should just get the UPIN# or whatever it’s called.

Last edited:

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.
    I often roll my eyes when I hear or read somewhere that Cabela's is, first and foremost, a friend of gun rights. A few points come to mind, especially a recent situation that one of my friends is experiencing that is probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

First off, Cabela's pricing, which is basically MSRP, is not a benefit to the firearms consumer. I am aware that they have a price matching policy, but the major vendors who destroy their pricing are conveniently not on the comparison list. Furthermore, Cabela's engages in the sneaky practice that many big box merchants use. They get the manufacturer to make a "special edition" only for them with an exclusive SKU number. That eliminates price matching because it's not apples to apples. Best Buy is also famous for this.

So Cabela's may allow you to tote your shootin' iron and they may have good ole' 2nd amendment "sales" but when it comes to really acting on behalf of the second amendment crowd, they leave a lot to be desired.

Academy Sports is another store that will not proceed with a delay.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Academy Sports is another store that will not proceed with a delay.

Yep. Academy has a 30 day policy, and if you are on delay and do not get a proceed on the NICS website system. They will not transfer the firearm. Wanna know the best part? The 4473 record is only valid for 30 days from the date its called in. So you basically never get to buy from Academy if you get delayed because majority of delays usually just time out in my experience in selling firearms. They could care a less about people and making the most money they can on gun sales. What a Un-American **** show. Come to GGW. We transfer the gun asap if you are delayed, just sayin.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    A few big box stores have this policy nothing new. People that get delayed a lot should just get the UPIN# or whatever it’s called.

The UPIN has a backlog wait time of about 18 months last I heard. Could have changed but I have a number of customers waiting on one. I think a person is better off with a newly issued CC permit if eligible in LA instead of the UPIN. More benefits, probably less wait time but more expensive.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Get a CHP. No muss, no fuss. They don't even call it in. My last purchase I was in and out in 5 minutes. :rockon:

Except the gun shops have the option of using the CHP, they are not required to. Some here still call it in on the phone.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The UPIN has a backlog wait time of about 18 months last I heard. Could have changed but I have a number of customers waiting on one. I think a person is better off with a newly issued CC permit if eligible in LA instead of the UPIN. More benefits, probably less wait time but more expensive.

Well in 18 months they’ll be good to go lol.

Blue Diamond

sportsman
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Metairie, La.

I know a few people that went through the process and wait is usually 5 months. The best part is if they deny you they will give you the reasons WHY. In Writing. So if there is a problem it can be addressed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom