Cabela's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    OK. First off, let me say I'm a firm believer of supporting the small local gun shops when I need to buy something and usually use Cabela's for eyecandy. Having said that, I was there last weekend and spotted a Walther SP22M3

attachment.php

in the used gun case. I've always wanted one of these, so My wife bought it plus a nice little red dot sight for my birthday. Since we live in The Sportsmans Paradise and all :rolleyes:, I had to wait until Tues for a gun range to open so I could shoot it. I rush over after work on Tues anxious to zero the red dot, and whaddayaknow? Pistol no workie. :mad::mad: Not one single round was flung downrange propelled by powder. Many were flung by human propulsion! ;) I'm thinking I'm screwed as I look at the "All gun sales final" sticker on the case, and realizing that since it was used, it is most assuredly out of warranty. I call Cabela's on the ride home and the mgr said they'd "make it right". Not sure what that meant, I took it back today. The Gun Library Mgr looked at it and started the process of giving me my money back (apparently there is a 30 day warr on the used stuff) and said I could go out and see if there was another gun I wanted. I mentioned I wished I could just get this one fixed and he was kind of taken aback. He said they would be glad to send it back to Walther on their nickel and have it fixed, also on their nickel. They're apparently happy to not be stuck with a useless broken gun, and I'm happy to be getting a nice German Match Grade .22 pistol freshly gone over by the factory and for a pretty sweet price. I guess the big boxes have their pluses as well. I'm sure Walther isn't going to charge them much if at all considering their volume of sales. All's well that end's well, I'd say.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    A good question to ask the manager is the 30 day warranty part of sending the gun off and repair. I hope everything goes well.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Apparently they have no issue taking broken trade-ins. I was told about a Dragunov that was supposedly broken, they bought it, one of the gun library employees was familiar with it and fixed it, BY CLEANING IT, and was able to purchase it for the price that Cabela's paid the customer, which was well south of $1000. Must be nice.

Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Apparently they have no issue taking broken trade-ins. I was told about a Dragunov that was supposedly broken, they bought it, one of the gun library employees was familiar with it and fixed it, BY CLEANING IT, and was able to purchase it for the price that Cabela's paid the customer, which was well south of $1000. Must be nice.
    That's what I told the Mgr. Apparently they get stuck with broken guns quite often. I mentioned they should have a testfire barrel/tank at the very least, and he just kind of shook his head like he's had that discussion with those above his pay grade a few times before. And there you have one of the problems with the big box stores. :hs:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    That's what I told the Mgr. Apparently they get stuck with broken guns quite often. I mentioned they should have a testfire barrel/tank at the very least, and he just kind of shook his head like he's had that discussion with those above his pay grade a few times before. And there you have one of the problems with the big box stores. :hs:

Good to know for people who have a few broken guns laying around. :doh:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Good for you, but that is one ugly pistol. Got to be one of the ugliest pistols ever made. But I'm glad it worked out.

Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Good for you, but that is one ugly pistol. Got to be one of the ugliest pistols ever made. But I'm glad it worked out.
    Meh, I'll admit they are an acquired taste. However, these are on the more normal end of the spectrum of match/target pistols. The really super high end stuff really gets out there. Strictly function/ergonomics over looks. Bing "Walther LP300XT" "Walther GSP" "Benelli MP95E" and you'll start to see a trend. I draw the line at a $3000+ .22 though! ;)

Request Dust Off

Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Gotta call BS on this!
    All this and I don't see anything about when I get to shoot it. Which normally is worse that 'no pics', but you have a pic. Damn I am hurt. Not Butt hurt, just hurt. I got something you might like shooting.

Does it have iron sights?

I like the looks. I have seen much uglier pistols.

Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Gotta call BS on this!
    All this and I don't see anything about when I get to shoot it. Which normally is worse that 'no pics', but you have a pic. Damn I am hurt. Not Butt hurt, just hurt. I got something you might like shooting.

Yep. The Pic rails are removeable, so you can see the irons better. But you can still use them down the rail channel.

jmcrawf1

Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Gotta call BS on this!

Ah you know how he is, what with his German .22's, BMW's, ducati's and what not. He doesn't associate with "other" westbankers such as yourself. :D

Dave328

Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    UPDATE
    I went up and got my Walther back today. I asked if Walther/S&W had said what the problem was, and the guy told me they normally don't but this time they did because they may charge them. He then looks at me and asks if I went all nolacop on it. :confused: He then shows me the letter that came back with the gun that said they simply properly reassembled the gun and test fired it. I said I didn't do anything but try to fire it and he just gave me a "yeah,right" look. I then reminded him it was a used gun, and his whole tune changed to apologies. We had the whole conversation about how Cabela's needs a range or at least a test fire barrel so they wouldn't get sold broken guns again. Had to fill out another 4473 that wasn't called in " just for their records" (huh?), but I was on my way. Made it to Bayou Dragon 15 min before closing, which was just enough time to get the red dot zero'd. Man! What a sweet shooting gun. I'll try to get an actual pic up tomorrow. All's well that ends well, right? :D

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom