Calcasieu Parish Sheriff on Open Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Its-Not-A-Lie-If-You-Believe-It-Seinfeld.gif

:rofl:

This thread is deteriorating.
    The original post was about one thing: does "open carry" constitute an offense such that an LEO may lawfully stop one under Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedure art. 251.1.
    (The answer is "no".)

There you go kingfhb.

Short. Simple. No opinions or rhetoric. Base law.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    What makes the guy hiding his gun any less likely to do something stupid? I honestly don't give OC'ers a second thought. The last guy I saw doing it was wearing a white shirt three sizes too big and had braids, but he was minding his own business, not acting at all threatening or menacing towards anyone. My only thought was "if you're open carrying, why carry an XDS?" They're open carrying for whatever reason they want. If they can't legally own a firearm, I doubt they would want to advertise the fact that they have one. And since they can have one, you think they should be restricted from having one in your view? A noise ordinance is different. That's an actual law and an actual physical imposition, not somebody getting nervous over nothing.

STPHomie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Madisonville
    What makes the guy hiding his gun any less likely to do something stupid? I honestly don't give OC'ers a second thought. The last guy I saw doing it was wearing a white shirt three sizes too big and had braids, but he was minding his own business, not acting at all threatening or menacing towards anyone. My only thought was "if you're open carrying, why carry an XDS?" They're open carrying for whatever reason they want. If they can't legally own a firearm, I doubt they would want to advertise the fact that they have one. And since they can have one, you think they should be restricted from having one in your view? A noise ordinance is different. That's an actual law and an actual physical imposition, not somebody getting nervous over nothing.

So in honor of the noise ordinance, open carry is OK; but if they must use their weapon then they get a ticket for exceeding the decibel limit? haha

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    You guys have a nice evening. Everything I write seems to inflame everyone more. Now some dude is saying that I'm a liberal. I've voted Republican in every presidential election since Reagan...including Reagan. Holy Cow...I'd have to be issuing handguns to make you happy.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    OK...I see your point. Enjoy your open carrying. I'm not trying to remove citizens' ability to legally open carry. I just think it is odd.

If your argument can stand up to a different opinion, I don't see why you get so bent. Even drivers have to be licensed for public safety, but anyone who can legally obtain a firearm can OC it. I think prefer the CCW permission slips over open carry. At least the carrier has had some sort of briefing and not totally winging it.

Is this site this active when school is in session?

1) ccw required training is a fk joke.
    2) drivers are licensed for a state awarded priviledge. no one has to drive, is entitled to drive, or has a right to drive.
    3) almost everyone* that can legally acquire a firearm can OC it. if that bothers you, there are 38 other states where that isn't true.

4) yes it is. generally we just wait for some liberalistic ccw holder to come in before we ring the school bell. I think I heard it on page 2.

OC is dumb enough all on its own. It doesn't need you demonizing it because sheeple are scared of inanimate objects. You're far more likely to get killed by someone texting on the interstate than an OC in the grocery store. If you wanna be afraid, start looking at how many people arent even looking through the windshield. It's terrifying.

Last edited:

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Threads like these always bring out the closet liberals.

CCW Permits classes are simply that, a permit to carry concealed. The "level" of training is that of paper pushers and shooting a paper target a few dozen times.

The question of this thread was answered in the 2nd post. Those of you who disagree with that should move to a nanny state so will be able to sleep better at night.

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    1) ccw required training is a fk joke.
    2) drivers are licensed for a state awarded priviledge. no one has to drive, is entitled to drive, or has a right to drive.
    3) almost everyone* that can legally acquire a firearm can OC it. if that bothers you, there are 38 other states where that isn't true.

4) yes it is. generally we just wait for some liberalistic ccw holder to come in before we ring the school bell. I think I heard it on page 2.

OC is dumb enough all on its own. It doesn't need you demonizing it because sheeple are scared of inanimate objects. You're far more likely to get killed by someone texting on the interstate than an OC in the grocery store. If you wanna be afraid, start looking at how many people arent even looking through the windshield. It's terrifying.

Pretty much all true. It's not the inanimate object I'm concerned about, though. I apologize for taking this thread off its normal course. I don't have a ccw.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    What about the rights of other people who are around the OC'ing person? I have left several businesses before the point of purchase, because someone was in there was OC'ing. In one of the cases, I looked for a badge and did not see one. Then I started looking for factors that might tell me if the guy was about to draw and "open up" on everyone else in the store. Then, left wondering about the person's mindset and being unable to conduct my business while monitoring the weapon carrier, I left the store. He just appeared to be shopping, but who knows when he would have an "epiphany" and start mowing down people in the frozen food section. There is an intimidating effect when someone is walking around overtly displaying that he or she has the ability and opportunity to commit a mass murder. Would it be OK for someone the walk around in a business with a giant lit torch...or how about a dubiously constrained grizzly bear? I think that our rights, even as gun owners, should not significantly infringe on the rights of others. On top of that, do you really want the negative attention that will certainly come from OC'ing? (possibly) Do you want to have numerous encounters with LE officers who can see that you have the ability and opportunity to kill or maim and are probably on condition "RED" and already calculating how to defeat you. There has to be some way to be armed publicly and not make a spectacle of yourself. I like the suggestion of legally obtaining a CC permit and then living your life (not like your life is an ongoing vendetta).

I really planned to spectate this threat, but I have to ask, can you find any recent case where someone was open carrying in a public place and had an "epiphany" and decided to "mow down" everyone? Gun in hand or hidden seem to be the methods used by someone intending to do violence. And if an officer is not in "condition red" when approaching someone, armed or unarmed, he is as yet unhurt by luck. Frankly I would likely be less worried about my safety if I was an officer approaching someone who is open carrying; at least I know up front, and likely just need to worry about his smartphone.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    WTF? So your admitting to breaking the law?? Maybe you are someone we need to watch out for. I'm assuming you don't open carry??????

It would appear that he doesn't OC, doesn't have a permit, but carries every day. One could assume, that he is either carrying illegally or by "carry," he means he keeps it in his car every day.

Swampghost

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Think, Infidel. Who carries a weapon everyday and does not have a CHP?

Look at the totality of my posts. I've stated that I encourage people to legally be armed. I capitulated in a post above and even apologized for taking the thread off course. I've voted Republican in every presidential election (and state and local election) since 1984, Reagan/Bush...including 1984. As a U.S. Army Ranger, I cherish my right to vote. I wrote one post that doesn't fit with your narrative, and you have completely lost it. How will you ever convince someone who is not pro-gun to change their views? You won't do it like this. You have an angry, uncoordinated approach. It's not going to work. Well, I'll grant you (plural) this. You certainly are emotional about the topic.

Regarding, "...condition red...," an officer has to be prepared for what an unknown subject has the obvious ability to do. Also, most experienced officers know that no one can stay in "condition red" all of the time. You just can't. You just have to do the best you can to have a combat mindset, usually through training and harsh reminders. It takes constant effort to not become completely complacent.

Come on, Infidel. You're back to your old tricks. Was it an "accident" earlier? Shouldn't you have written, "So you're admitting to breaking the law??" You're not even trying anymore.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    WTF? So your admitting to breaking the law?? Maybe you are someone we need to watch out for. I'm assuming you don't open carry??????

It would appear that he doesn't OC, doesn't have a permit, but carries every day. One could assume, that he is either carrying illegally or by "carry," he means he keeps it in his car every day.

Given enough rope (and enough posts on here)...............:mamoru:

Ta da!

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    So after all of these post, YOU ARE (not your or you're, that should mess with YOUR OODA loop) now going to start dropping hints that you may or may not be a LEO?? I was thinking you might have been a teacher.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Here is why this matters: Open Carry, whether one agrees with it or not, is the freest form of the 2nd Amendment here in Louisiana. Cost nothing, doesn't require excessive sensitive personal info be furnished, doesn't require permission from somebody in LE or government, doesn't require you be fingerprinted like a criminal, doesn't cost money (except the personal choices for your rig), doesn't require a background check, et al.

The CC process has those of us that are in, basically held hostage. We worry about losing our permission slips too. Can the dummies in the Legislature change the open carry law it if they wanted, sure; but that would not nearly be as easy as them tweaking the CC process.

I, as a gun owner and a freedomist, would never advocate or support the dissolution of Open Carry laws here regardless of the practicality or not. As a matter of fact I actually feel more comfortable knowing that I could always fall back on OC if I had to or, heaven forbid, was forced to.

That sums up where I stand, as well. I have seen and heard people who are supposedly pro-gun blasting not the INDIVIDUAL who does stupid things while open-carrying- but the idea of open carry, itself. That's extremely counter-productive, IMHO.

And besides, here's a question: Wonder why the subject of open carry in Louisiana is even coming up in the wake of the terrible events in Lafayette? Was the killer open carrying, or something?? Of course he wasn't. "Any crisis, any time", folks......Now thy enemy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mike_717
    Top Bottom