California concealed weapon law tossed by federal appeals court

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Finally something goes right. I looked in to getting a permit in California when I PCS'ed here and the requirements are a bit excessive, including a psych assessment by law enforcement psychological services, for a fee of course. Along with all of the other fees, out of state, etc it was going to cost around $500 plus training costs at whatever company, and valid for 2 years. Considering I'm here for less than two years, take out residency requirements, long application process, issue time, etc I'd probably be carrying for less than a year. It just wasn't worth it.

One thing I did notice under that law is that each county sheriff was responsible for determining what was considered "good cause" for issuance. I was fortunate enough to see this message on the country sheriff's website when I was looking at the application.

"A MESSAGE FROM MONTEREY COUNTY SHERIFF SCOTT MILLER REGARDING CONCEALED WEAPONS PERMITS

The purpose of this message is to give individuals interested in obtaining a Carry Concealed Weapon Permit (CCW) an idea of the standards and process for successfully obtaining one from the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office.

Historically many people have applied for a CCW with little idea as to whether or not their request would be successful. Often the unknown element centers on the State of California’s requirement to show *good cause* in order to obtain a CCW. The standard of *good cause* varies widely from county to county. In my opinion, *personal protection* should suffice to establish the good cause standard."

While the state is jacked up, not everyone in it is. (Most, but not all).

Top Bottom