Calling LEO to Settle Hood Justice Query

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    While reading this, I want all of those sworn to protect, serve, and whom promised to uphold all laws of the state that this IS A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION. ;)

So I have an employee that got in to an accident in the Hood last night. He was driving on an expired DL and has no Insurance. Go figure.

He convinces the other resident of said Hood, that he wishes to not involve police in this matter! Again, go figure.

Other party agrees but only if my guy follows him to his house to talk to his Ol' lady.

My guy gives them his address, phone number, and tells them where he works.

Other party wants $500.00 cash to resolve matter. (I assure you the word "resolve" was never used last night :mamoru:)

My guy agrees.

Speed up to today:

My guy informs me of this incident because he wants to borrow money.

After cross examination I deduce that other party is so willing to accept a cash payment he may have skeletons in his own glove box.

I tell him to offer him $200.00 and see if he'll take it.

Other party's Ol' lady accepts the $200.00 over phone.

10 minutes later other party calls and says $200.00 "ain't enough!" He demands the $500.00 or he's calling the police and sending them to my guys work.

After more cross examination I figure he's bluffing and tell my guy to offer just $300.00 and say that's all he can get.

But after I explain my plan he says; "No, I am gonna get dis man his money and be done with it!"

So I ask why? And then the real truth comes out. "The other guy said if he don't get the $500.00 he is gonna take care of my guy's ass.

Now, here is the Hypothetical question:

Other than the street justice threat, what legal recourse does the other guy (now the threat guy), have against my guy? If they made some hood negotiation, should he tell the guy to get lost and take his chances or just pay him? Should my guy call the cops himself? Did I mention my guy was DWI on top of everything? :mamoru:

Okay, go!

PS: I guess if you guys feel uneasy answering this CLEARLY HYPOTHETICAL scenario, you can PM too.

Last edited:

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Don't lend money to anyone comes to mind. Also keep business business. What you going to do when you lend him the money and he tells the other hood rats you employ and then they want an advance or loan?

Oh yeah, and don't hire hood rats......

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If they mutually agreed to leave the scene, there is no "criminal" act.

If he backs out on their "deal", there is always:

tumblr_m4a0jihWir1qk5jzn.jpg

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So, how bad was this hypothetical "accicent"?

Did your guy get the other guys insurance information?

I ask these questions for a few reasons...

1. Every state requires drivers to exchange this kind of information if they have been involved in an accident.
    2. If no police report exists, and no insurance information was exchanged... it never happened. No insurnace company would pay a dime, so why should your guy.
    3. The only thing the other guy can do is take your guy to small claims court... then the burden is on him to convince the judge what he should pay.
    4. It sounds like the other guy is extorting the money from your guy which is a criminal offense he could use in small claims court or even as charges against the other guy.
    5. The DWI doesn't come into play. No one was there to administer a sobriety test. However, he would have to admit to no license/insurance, etc. in court if it came up which could hurt him.

Now, as for your guy, if he calls the police, he could claim that they had a very minor accident and they both agreed everything was fine. Then the next day the other guy began making threats and demanding money or else things would get violent. YOUR guy then has the claim of harrassment, extortion, communicating threats, etc. He could actually get a restraining order on the other guy.

Chances are the other guy knows he has no options now which is why he resorted to making threats. If your guy is scared, have him call the police and make a report that he's received harrassing phone calls and threats from the other guy.

For that matter, your guy could even say that the accident never happened and that he and the other guy had a falling out and the other guy is fabricating the entire story. Now if they investigate and he is found to be lying to the police, thats a whole other paintjob. Then again, there could be more... like your guy is on parole or probation from a previous DWI. If there's no real damage, there goes the other guys proof that the accident ever took place.

Just be weary, cameras are everywhere and if it was captured somehow, that can be used in court.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You guys are missing the point. This is a legitimate concern. And it speaks volumes to the undercurrent culture we all live with. This is how poor bastards have to handle things in the hood. This is great social theater if nothing else.

A criminal (No DL, No Insurance, and DUI), hits another criminal's(Most likely no insurance either), car with his car, and none of them have a legal reason to be driving in the first place. They bargain to keep the cops out of their business, and now it's in street litigation. :rofl:

I suppose the easy way to ask this is, what could my guy expect if the other guy DID try to call the police? Would the cops even handle it beyond fielding the complaint? Now it's a classic hood he said/he said.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    You guys are missing the point. This is a legitimate concern. And it speaks volumes to the undercurrent culture we all live with. This is how poor bastards have to handle things in the hood. This is great social theater if nothing else.

A criminal (No DL, No Insurance, and DUI), hits another criminal's(Most likely no insurance either), car with his car, and none of them have a legal reason to be driving in the first place. They bargain to keep the cops out of their business, and now it's in street litigation. :rofl:

I suppose the easy way to ask this is, what could my guy expect if the other guy DID try to call the police? Would the cops even handle it beyond fielding the complaint? Now it's a classic hood he said/he said.

The other guy has no grounds other than to waste the officers time if he calls them. They won't pursue it other than to take a statement of what happened. It is all heresay at this point unless there is compelling evidence (major damage) that would point to your guy.

Now, like I said, if your guy is afraid of retaliation or something like that... his calling the police and making a report of the threats will do little more than give the officers a motive and a direction to look if something does happen to your guy.

If your guy calls the police and files a complaint, it could lead to further retaliation by even more individuals. He has to take his chances either way. Whats to stop him from calling a week after your guy pays him and demand more money?

My guess is, it's all talk. The other guy may get angry and be upset about it... but decide it isn't worth going to jail for the next 20 years over. But these days... who knows.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

That's funny too! The hittee apparently made a "street" estimate of damages.

Insurance? :bowrofl:

1. Every state requires drivers to exchange this kind of information if they have been involved in an accident.
    2. If no police report exists, and no insurance information was exchanged... it never happened. No insurnace company would pay a dime, so why should your guy.
    3. The only thing the other guy can do is take your guy to small claims court... then the burden is on him to convince the judge what he should pay.
    4. It sounds like the other guy is extorting the money from your guy which is a criminal offense he could use in small claims court or even as charges against the other guy.
    5. The DWI doesn't come into play. No one was there to administer a sobriety test. However, he would have to admit to no license/insurance, etc. in court if it came up which could hurt him.

Now, as for your guy, if he calls the police, he could claim that they had a very minor accident and they both agreed everything was fine. Then the next day the other guy began making threats and demanding money or else things would get violent. YOUR guy then has the claim of harrassment, extortion, communicating threats, etc. He could actually get a restraining order on the other guy.

Chances are the other guy knows he has no options now which is why he resorted to making threats. If your guy is scared, have him call the police and make a report that he's received harrassing phone calls and threats from the other guy.

king, no offense! Your living in fantasy world! :mamoru:

For that matter, your guy could even say that the accident never happened and that he and the other guy had a falling out and the other guy is fabricating the entire story. Now if they investigate and he is found to be lying to the police, thats a whole other paintjob. Then again, there could be more... like your guy is on parole or probation from a previous DWI. If there's no real damage, there goes the other guys proof that the accident ever took place.

Just be weary, cameras are everywhere and if it was captured somehow, that can be used in court.

:rofl:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    While reading this, I want all of those sworn to protect, serve, and whom promised to uphold all laws of the state that this IS A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION. ;)

So I have an employee that got in to an accident in the Hood last night. He was driving on an expired DL and has no Insurance. Go figure.

He convinces the other resident of said Hood, that he wishes to not involve police in this matter! Again, go figure.

Other party agrees but only if my guy follows him to his house to talk to his Ol' lady.

My guy gives them his address, phone number, and tells them where he works.

Other party wants $500.00 cash to resolve matter. (I assure you the word "resolve" was never used last night :mamoru:)

My guy agrees.

Speed up to today:

My guy informs me of this incident because he wants to borrow money.

After cross examination I deduce that other party is so willing to accept a cash payment he may have skeletons in his own glove box.

I tell him to offer him $200.00 and see if he'll take it.

Other party's Ol' lady accepts the $200.00 over phone.

10 minutes later other party calls and says $200.00 "ain't enough!" He demands the $500.00 or he's calling the police and sending them to my guys work.

After more cross examination I figure he's bluffing and tell my guy to offer just $300.00 and say that's all he can get.

But after I explain my plan he says; "No, I am gonna get dis man his money and be done with it!"

So I ask why? And then the real truth comes out. "The other guy said if he don't get the $500.00 he is gonna take care of my guy's ass.

Now, here is the Hypothetical question:

Other than the street justice threat, what legal recourse does the other guy (now the threat guy), have against my guy? If they made some hood negotiation, should he tell the guy to get lost and take his chances or just pay him? Should my guy call the cops himself? Did I mention my guy was DWI on top of everything? :mamoru:

Okay, go!

PS: I guess if you guys feel uneasy answering this CLEARLY HYPOTHETICAL scenario, you can PM too.

The other guy has no grounds other than to waste the officers time if he calls them. They won't pursue it other than to take a statement of what happened. It is all heresay at this point unless there is compelling evidence (major damage) that would point to your guy.

Now, like I said, if your guy is afraid of retaliation or something like that... his calling the police and making a report of the threats will do little more than give the officers a motive and a direction to look if something does happen to your guy.

If your guy calls the police and files a complaint, it could lead to further retaliation by even more individuals. He has to take his chances either way. Whats to stop him from calling a week after your guy pays him and demand more money?

My guess is, it's all talk. The other guy may get angry and be upset about it... but decide it isn't worth going to jail for the next 20 years over. But these days... who knows.

So you ask a question, someone gives you answers and you tell the person giving you the answers he lives in a fantasy world.

You truly are a class act.

JR1572

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA

If you want my hypothetical hood answer...

It never happened. End of story. Roll the dice and take the chances that the guy won't do anything.

Your guy can give him some money to try and make it right... but forget the demanding of more money just because he had time to go home and think about it. "That's all i've got" is what your guy needs to say and stick to it. However, he's rolling the dice on a number of things...

1. This guy could just come back and ask for more money.
    2. This guy could make good on his threat to cause harm to your guy
    3. This guy could just take the money and do nothing.
    4. This guy could just take the money and STILL cause harm to your guy
    5. etc. etc. etc.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I don't want you to think I am browbeating on you but, these guy kill each other over perceived disrespect of each other. I doubt the fear of jail time even plays in to it.

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    What? I'm sure he's a good boy, who aint never done nothing wrong. Sounds like he needs a raise.

Im sure that's the case. :rolleyes:

Heres what I would do if I were in "your guy's" situation, but mind you I don't subscribe to hood rules. If I ran into somebody on my street, and we agreed not to call the cops for whatever reason, and IF I told him id give him $500, id give him $500. That's what honest people do, but I digress.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So you ask a question, someone gives you answers and you tell the person giving you the answers he lives in a fantasy world.

You truly are a class act.

JR1572

Stop it! You know damn well these guys don't live under the same rules we do. It might look great in a law book that all men are created equally and each have equal justice under the law, but if you are a LEO, you know that doesn't apply to these neighborhoods and these people. They are caught up in entirely different world than you go home to at night.

And if you can't clearly see that I was jazzing him a bit, take a chill pill.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Im sure that's the case. :rolleyes:

Heres what I would do if I were in "your guy's" situation, but mind you I don't subscribe to hood rules. If I ran into somebody on my street, and we agreed not to call the cops for whatever reason, and IF I told him id give him $500, id give him $500. That's what honest people do, but I digress.

Hood rules is the way for a lot of these poor guys. My guy IS honest! He does want to do what's right, but he can't afford to do what's right if they other guy is giving him a deadline for payment. Cops or no cops called; if he thinks the guy would harm him he has to take that threat pretty seriously.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    How on earth do you decide to hire someone without insurance? I get that the DL could have expired between the hire date and the date of the incident, but if someone is driving in their personal vehicle for work, isn't it required that they have proof of insurance?

corey d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    Hood rules is the way for a lot of these poor guys. My guy IS honest! He does want to do what's right, but he can't afford to do what's right if they other guy is giving him a deadline for payment. Cops or no cops called; if he thinks the guy would harm him he has to take that threat pretty seriously.

Definitely, like you said, these fools will kill someone who they say "disrespects" them, like they are respectable in any way shape or form. They are clowns. Maybe the solution, if hes concerned for his safety, is to call five-0. :draw:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    How on earth do you decide to hire someone without insurance? I get that the DL could have expired between the hire date and the date of the incident, but if someone is driving in their personal vehicle for work, isn't it required that they have proof of insurance?

He does not drive for his employer. His vehicle is for his personal use. As an employer I couldn't care less if one of my employees doesn't have personal liability insurance! That's none of my business! Now he did need to have a valid driver license when he was hired. For the fed form I-9, Citizenship Verification.

It is not the employers responsibility to require them to keep a valid driver's license if they are not drivers.

Top Bottom