Camo Choice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronMan2015

All Blacked Out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Alright, back to hunting in Louisiana for the first time since I was 12. Any opinions of camo choice? I was using the Mossy Oak BI in NC. A few of my buddies down here say they like the Realtree Xtra for down here.

So, let me here some of your opinions...

Mossy Oak BI
    Realtree Xtra
    or
    Other

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Deer and Hog, mostly. Occasionally duck

I am a big fan of Razzle Dazzle camo! Like on WWI warships! :p

Just kidding!

Okay. I have hunted my entire life here for everything that moves, flies, or farts. I am still to this day, convinced that basic woodland army BDU's are the most effective all around pattern for anything. They are inexpensive and durable. They blend well in any situation. Remember that deer and hogs are color blind. You should worry about the camo for your human man-ass more so than the clothes you will wear.

The best camo for anything is keeping still! However I have, and still do use some old realtree patterns that I bought years ago. But they are greyish looking and what I notice the most about these fancy shmancy camo products is how much they stick out in contrast to the foliage when the light is low. Only the woodland pattern gets darker as does the greenery around when the sun goes down. Now, that said; do the animals notice? I don't really know. But if they smell me or spot movement; it's over Johnny!

I think camo is like fishing lures; they catch more humans than their intended targets.

Let me add, that I think a ghillie suit would be the ultimate best; but it's impractical for certain types of hunting. Try bow hunting with one.

Last edited:

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    Most of my stuff is Mossy Break Up Infinity, but to be honest, I'll wear jeans or and old pair of ACUs to go hog hunting. Still hunting for deer, turkey, or duck is a whole different ball game.

Last edited:

IronMan2015

All Blacked Out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    I am a big fan of Razzle Dazzle camo! Like on WWI warships! :p

Just kidding!

Okay. I have hunted my entire life here for everything that moves, flies, or farts. I am still to this day, convinced that basic woodland army BDU's are the most effective all around pattern for anything. They are inexpensive and durable. They blend well in any situation. Remember that deer and hogs are color blind. You should worry about the camo for your human man-ass more so than the clothes you will wear.

The best camo for anything is keeping still! However I have, and still do use some old realtree patterns that I bought years ago. But they are greyish looking and what I notice the most about these fancy shmancy camo products is how much they stick out in contrast to the foliage when the light is low. Only the woodland pattern gets darker as does the greenery around when the sun goes down. Now, that said; do the animals notice? I don't really know. But if they smell me or spot movement; it's over Johnny!

I think camo is like fishing lures; they catch more humans than their intended targets.

Let me add, that I think a ghillie suit would be the ultimate best; but it's impractical for certain types of hunting. Try bow hunting with one.

BDU's are pretty cheap, I have some Multicam that I think works alright in the winter when there is a lot more light brown around. And I agree about the Ghillie, and shooting a bow in that would be a PITA

Most of my stuff is Mossy Break Up Infinity, but to be honest, I'll wear jeans or and old pair of ACUs to go hog hunting. Still hunting for deer, turkey, or duck is a whole different ball game.

I wore jeans and a hoodie in texas for hog hunting. Another nod to MOBI

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    My brother believes in that "leaf-o-flague" (the kind that's "somewhat" like a ghillie suit, minus the long droop), and it works well for him.

I'll usually just grab whatever I see first- but it's usually your garden-variety Mossy Oak or Realtree. :)

I also think what Emperor said is very true about it snagging more humans. Seems like there are about as many brands of camo these days as there are brands of women's shoes.
    casty.gif

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    What I did, and suggest, is to photograph your hunting area/blind etc. and then photoshop different camo into the picture (be mindful of shading). I actually took jackets of all the different camo I had, hung them on the fence and took a picture from 200yds away. Not 1 was acceptable, and that's when I started getting my wife to photoshop with pictures of the environment I'd be hunting in.

I've found that where I live Multicam is king, blending well all over the place . ABU, ACU, and desert camos make me stand out like a glow worm. Marpat, Realtree, flecktarn, Alpenflage. etc work in the woods to varying degrees depending on pattern/wood type but stand out like a blot of ink in the open.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    The best camo for anything is keeping still!

Amen! I mostly wear woodland BDU's because I'm cheap but have jackets, coveralls, etc that are all mix matched different patterns and have never seen a difference in deer behavior. One little twitch though at the wrong time is a 100% guarantee to get busted.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    ^This. I have always wondered about the old guys up in Wisconsin that come back with all the deer year after year. They have been wearing Carhartt farm coats, red flannel shirts, overalls and pack boots for hunting since they youngsters before the camo craze. Not what you would consider blending in during white out snow conditions to say the least.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom