Camping advice: Where to go

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The little lady and I have been kicking around the idea of a hiking/camping trip for a while and I'd like to take advantage of the weather before it gets brutal out there. I'm a relatively experienced camper, but it's been quite some time since I've gone anywhere around here.

I'm trying to figure out a good place to go. Here's the skinny:

• We'd like to be able to set up camp next to my truck, but I'd prefer to have some privacy- not into staying at a campsite with a bunch of other people.

• Someplace relatively close to water (for enjoyment, not drinking), whether it's a lake, stream, creek, whatever...

• Someplace we can shoot guns a little would be great.

• Within a couple of hours of Baton Rouge.

• Somewhat "hilly" area, if possible. May bring the mountain bikes.

• After some thought, I guess I wouldn't be totally opposed to finding a place that we could do the above activities during the day and maybe take it back to a little cabin or something in the evening.

My family used to go to Kisatchie a lot when I was younger, but it's been over 20 years since I've gone out there. I was trying to navigate the Kisatchie website and it looked like they had some interesting activities available... canoeing, and maybe horses? Also looked like they may charge for camping in certain areas? I don't remember any of that, but it seems like it could be cool.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    I known of a great place that fits your criterea except the shooting and the couple hours from BR part. Look up Cheaha state park in Alabama. I've been in both the Summer and winter (Mardi Gras), different experiences each time, but still a very beautiful place regardless.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Indian Creek Rec area seems to fit the bill. Spots do tend to fill up fast and Woodworth WMA shooting range is very close by.

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    I agree with 3fifty7, Indian creek sounds like the place you want too be. It has a very nice primitive area too. You can easily find a nice place on a point over looking the lake. Alexander State Forest Shooting range is a few mile away.

Magnetic

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Chicot state park has great "hills" and trails for mountain biking, plenty of water, piers, fishing, boat rental (paddle only), and some of the sites are fairly privately located.

Slimak707

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    They have a nice hilly camp ground in tunica hills. 1 hour north of baton rouge off 61. Hilly gravel/dirt roads that you can ride all day.

buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace
    2 places come to mind. Sam Houston Jones state park right outside Lake Charles and Kincaid State park in Alexardria. Both have great camping, lakes and great mountain bike trails. Check em out.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Check out Flint Creek in Mississippi near Wiggins. We used to go there pretty often and offers cabins as well as primitive camping. Lots of trails for bikes and hiking and a large lake for boating, fishing, or skiing.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Slimak707, I'd like to know this too. I was in Tunica Hills last week (Greenwood Plantation - WOW!), and my wife and I go there every year. Best of my knowledge :dunno: you have to be out by nightfall. What is it I do not know?
    I'd like to know wht you are talking about also, you have to pass my house to get anywhere out there and if something like this exists, I don't know of it. There is the waterfall trails but I know no camping is allowed there. Then there is the tunica WMA but as far as I know there is no camping there either.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Check out Flint Creek in Mississippi near Wiggins. We used to go there pretty often and offers cabins as well as primitive camping. Lots of trails for bikes and hiking and a large lake for boating, fishing, or skiing.

Also, Black Creek is another great camping destination near Wiggins. This place will require a canoe or canoe rental though, but there are plenty of places to pitch a tent down the creek. The lower part of the creek flows through a wildlife preserve (IIRC), and the tall steep sandstone banks are nice. Fishing is also great at the time of the year. I am actually hoping to make it up that way sometime soon. I love making a 2 or 3 days canoe trip.

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    Any of the KNF units fits what your looking for except Vernon because you have to stay at the campgrounds. Other KNF units you can camp anywhere! If you decide to go with this pm me and I can give you some cool spots on the Evangeline unit. Lake kincaid is there. No paying for primitive campgrounds or camping on your own, only if you want to use the campgrounds that have ammenities for campers etc. Not suppose to shoot out of season but it goes on out there all the time and it's poorly regulated so that's up to you. Miles and miles of trails good for hiking or moutain biking..everythig your looking for. Should see some deer and possibly, turkeys, hogs, etc. I hunt this area a good bit so if you want some more info about anything just let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom