Camping/ Astronomy section

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Can we split this into two sections? I enjoy the astronomy stuff but it really is taking over camping.
    +1000000
    The camping forum has effectively been replaced. A completely separate astronomy section is where all those nice pics need to be.

If it wasn't for Tom's post there wouldn't be much to take over.
    Once the useful, on-topic information in the camping forum got buried under all the pictures, people simply stopped posting, or looking, for it. Any on-topic posts soon disappear far down the forum, so what's the point? Several people who went to the camping forum looking for information actually about CAMPING have posted their displeasure about this, saying (correctly IMO) that the forum is useless now.

Nothing against Tom or his pictures, but they need a place of their own.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like Tom's posts a lot. They add to the site and take nothing away. I would be all for another subforum, maybe not specifically Astronomy but something broader that still fits. Maybe Science and Technology?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I like Tom's posts a lot. They add to the site and take nothing away. I would be all for another subforum, maybe not specifically Astronomy but something broader that still fits. Maybe Science and Technology?

Let it be written. Let it be done.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    http://ironicsurrealism.com/files/2012/03/not-This-****-Again.gif
    +1

The goal is to bring the forum back to 'Gun Related' topics as much as possible
    with the exception of very specific other topics.

Somehow I think a 'Science' thread would end up like every other 'Science' thread I've seen on the internet.

Here's a preview;

Beavis-and-Butt-head-fighting.jpg

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    We're a community, though. As a community, there are bound to be topics aside from shooting that are interesting and relevant to our members.

There are forums that are very strict on the subject matter of their threads; and, almost as a rule, they all fail entirely or have next to no participation. A well-organized forum with a variety of subjects is good for membership and participation.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    We're a community, though. As a community, there are bound to be topics aside from shooting that are interesting and relevant to our members.

There are forums that are very strict on the subject matter of their threads; and, almost as a rule, they all fail entirely or have next to no participation. A well-organized forum with a variety of subjects is good for membership and participation.

Take it from someone who's been here for years and is a member of many other forums that allow such discussion.

It...is...NOT a good idea ;)

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Take it from someone who's been here for years and is a member of many other forums that allow such discussion.

It...is...NOT a good idea ;)

Alright, alright. I'll bow to your wisdom.

I still think a topic as recurring as what Tom posts each time is worthy of a sub-forum; not necessarily Science and Technology.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

I agree 100%.

If people are upset by science threads, they should ignore them. Just as I wouldn't expect/accept sciencey guys to stomp on threads involving religion, I wouldn't expect/accept religious guys to stomp on a thread about fossils.

Differences in opinions and intelligent discussions are acceptable and good for everyone's brain. If people get out of line they can be dealt with. Saying "you can't post about evolution" is not a solution.

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If people are upset by science threads, they should ignore them.

I don't think anyone would be upset by a mere 'Science Topic' brother man :p
    but the discussion that follows is typical and always passionate depending on the what kind of science.

Just search the headline of Tom's latest topic since that’s really what we’re talking about here as most recent. All over the net I've looked at other forums. From Mixed Martial Arts forums to Computer Tech forums this topic was posted in their general topic type area and has turned into a **** storm for the most part. Always does.

Empirical Science is one thing, Historical Science as in anything relating to man and his origins, yata yata is another ball park and most can’t come to simple agreements about such.

Again those type topics are completely unrelated to Firearms/Shooting/Survival/Competition/Louisiana or anything similar and it's a KNOWN controversial topic.

Why would we invite that back into the forums? :dunno:

Didn't we just declare to everyone here our focus is going to be on being the Premiere Shooting Forum for Louisiana as we advertise? Inviting this type discussion back into the forums with a Specific Thread to do so in will not get us there, I can guarantee you that.

IMHO, we should leave this alone.
    I've just seen too many forums ignite when such topics are discussed. Just not worth it, I think.
    pardon.gif

Edit> BTW as far as a sub forum for Star Gazers? ici ni là-bas :dunno:

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I agree 100%.

If people are upset by science threads, they should ignore them. Just as I wouldn't expect/accept sciencey guys to stomp on threads involving religion, I wouldn't expect/accept religious guys to stomp on a thread about fossils.

Differences in opinions and intelligent discussions are acceptable and good for everyone's brain. If people get out of line they can be dealt with. Saying "you can't post about evolution" is not a solution.

but the discussion that follows is typical and always passionate depending on the what kind of science.

Just search the headline of Tom's latest topic since that’s really what we’re talking about here as most recent. All over the net I've looked at other forums. From Mixed Martial Arts forums to Computer Tech forums this topic was posted in their general topic type area and has turned into a **** storm for the most part. Always does.

Empirical Science is one thing, Historical Science as in anything relating to man and his origins, yata yata is another ball park and most can’t come to simple agreements about such.

Again those type topics are completely unrelated to Firearms/Shooting/Survival/Competition/Louisiana or anything similar and it's a KNOWN controversial topic.

Didn't we just declare to everyone here our focus is going to be on being the Premiere Shooting Forum for Louisiana as we advertise? Inviting this type discussion back into the forums with a Specific Thread to do so in will not get us there, I can guarantee you that.

I've just seen too many forums ignite when such topics are discussed. Just not worth it, I think.
    pardon.gif

Edit> Oh and BTW I too would agree to an "Astronomy Sub-Forum" under Camping.

I have a simple theory on how evolution does not directly contradict biblical teachings. I have no problem believing homo sapiens may have began as something much more basic but that humans have only been around 4000 or so years. It's best explained with an example:

Think back to VHS tapes. You can start that movie 20, 30, 40 minutes in and you're only experiencing the movie from that start time. That doesn't mean that there isn't "history" in the beginning of the tape you weren't aware of. God could have created the world to have history when He put man here. The world could have been "brand new" but with billions of years worth of history. Most people I try to explain that theory to have a hard time grasping what I'm saying. Note: this is NOT the argument that 1 day to God could be 1 billion years to us.

Just a theory. In truth, what does it matter? People want to say they universe started this way or that. It all had to come from somewhere. And if you believe in creationism, then where did God come from? The idea of a being spontaneously coming into existence is no more propoterous than the idea that all matter spontaneously exploded into existence.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have a simple theory on how evolution does not directly contradict biblical teachings. I have no problem believing homo sapiens may have began as something much more basic but that humans have only been around 4000 or so years. It's best explained with an example:

Think back to VHS tapes. You can start that movie 20, 30, 40 minutes in and you're only experiencing the movie from that start time. That doesn't mean that there isn't "history" in the beginning of the tape you weren't aware of. God could have created the world to have history when He put man here. The world could have been "brand new" but with billions of years worth of history. Most people I try to explain that theory to have a hard time grasping what I'm saying. Note: this is NOT the argument that 1 day to God could be 1 billion years to us.

Just a theory. In truth, what does it matter? People want to say they universe started this way or that. It all had to come from somewhere. And if you believe in creationism, then where did God come from? The idea of a being spontaneously coming into existence is no more propoterous than the idea that all matter spontaneously exploded into existence.

Didly, your above post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Yes, we are a community, but our common threads are SHOOTING sports and recreation. Camping is a far reach, but an astronomy forum has no business here. If threads are getting buried then I would ask the poster to keep them in off topic or to find another venue to share them.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Didly, your above post has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Yes, we are a community, but our common threads are SHOOTING sports and recreation. Camping is a far reach, but an astronomy forum has no business here. If threads are getting buried then I would ask the poster to keep them in off topic or to find another venue to share them.

The "above" directly related Speed's and Hitman's comments pertaining to how science and religion usually butt heads.

Not trying to start an argument here, as it is quickly becoming. So agree to disagree.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

pardon.gif

Edit> BTW as far as a sub forum for Star Gazers? ici ni là-bas :dunno:

Fair enough, and I'd expect any posts with any religion-based content to be treated the same. Right?

Face it, no one had a problem until he posted a science article that ties in with the concept of evolution. I don't care what anyone else believes in, nor will I interject my personal beliefs. But I do believe it works both ways, we should not allow one without the other. And it goes back to the bottom line: is it detremental to the site? And the answer is no, or at least it shouldn't be.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    May 18, 2009
    +1

The goal is to bring the forum back to 'Gun Related' topics as much as possible
    with the exception of very specific other topics.

Somehow I think a 'Science' thread would end up like every other 'Science' thread I've seen on the internet.

Here's a preview;

Beavis-and-Butt-head-fighting.jpg

:rofl: Yeah, this is true...Hell hath no fury like a battle amongst sci-tech buffs....
    catfight1ip.gif

Hitman

® ™
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Fair enough, and I'd expect any posts with any religion-based content to be treated the same. Right?

Of course and moving forward I would expect for the Abortion Topics to be faced with similar criticism.

Either way, no one said they could not post such a topic hence the reason Tom's is alive, for now in the OT Section.

I just meant that a thread created for that purpose alone would serve Bayoushooter.com no good.

It's cool C', :cool:

Cochise

is not here
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Stargazing is one of my favorite things to do while camping, that and fishing, hiking, and kayaking/canoeing. I thoroughly enjoy Tom's posts and hope he continues them, but they do seem to be stifling the Camping section a bit. IMO a "Stargazing" subforum would be the best solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom