Camping in a tent-what's it like?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    a tent is used for sleeping, ya better like your neighbor.. and they better like you. and all the things that go with close proximity.. after 3 or 4 days hiking or camping I barely can stand myself

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Spending the night in a tent, on the ground, is the surest way to determine one's age.
    If you're anything like me, you'll wake up feeling every creak & ache that your body can produce. ;) :D

If you can, bring some kind padding or cushion to lay your sleeping bag on.

Art

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    ^^^^ Yes, some people like to sleep in a big aluminum box and try to make it as much like sleeping at home as possible. I don't get it... BTW, my wife is one of those people...

A sleeping pad (foam or inflatable) makes sleeping on the ground a lot more tolerable for us older campers.

What's it like? Its hard to describe. Closest I've found (for me at least) is the opening few chapters of 'Deliverance' (the book, not the movie). Very descriptive, well written. The rest of the book is NOT suggested reading material for just before (or during) a camping trip.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Get one tall enough to stand up in. I like having a cot, the floor of the tent gets full of trash real quick. Also having a cot keeps people from stepping on or over you to get in or out of the tent. There is a long list of other considerations for tent camping that I don't have time to list here like critters (4-leg, 6-leg, 8-leg, no legs), weather, rising water, water run off, etc.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    My daughter, wife and I have roughed it in a tent twice so far and want to do it some more. For one, it's best to do it when you can expect cool nights in the 50's, 60's and low 70's. The colder it is the better we sleep. The last time we camped we didn't look ahead at the weather and it dropped to the upper 20's. Thank god the site had power, we had a portable heater and extension cords. The next night was in the 30's and we had an extra heater and electric blankets. We were not well prepared for this trip as we forgot alot of items. It wouldn't have been bad had we not forgotten extra blankets. :eek3:

Hopefully we'll be doing it again next month.

We've used two Coleman Tents and haven't camped out in a downpour so those tents work out nicely for fair weather. We have a 4 person (8x10 tent) and a 6 person 16 x 14 tent with screened "patio".

We've used Air Mattresses both times we've camped and have found them to be too much to pack so we are switching to sleeping bags.

As far as what it's like... It's peaceful, quiet and dark. It takes some adjusting to if you're used to the noises of your house. You'll find yourself waking up several times during the night the first night you camp outside. After a while you get used to it.

Last edited:

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    also, you may want to check into hammock camping. its a lot better on the back, and a million times easier to set up and take down

Top Bottom