Can anyone here kill the Eastern Lubber Grasshopper?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    GIANT MOFO's won't die. Seriously. They drink poison and fart it out. You stomp on them and they throw you around. The girlfriend has been chasing them out of my landscaping with a baseball bat and smashing them in the driveway. There has to be a better way.

For the un-informed the Eastern Lubber is a giant grasshopper that will devour a garden. Its a little over 3 inches long and 1 inch tall full grown jet black with yellow or red stripes. No exaggeration. They have almost no natural predators because of their insanely strong exoskeleton and being poisonous. The only thing that does eat them is a bird not native to Louisiana, and it has to decapitate the bugger, impale it on a stick, and wait for the sun to bake the poison out before eating it.

Here are a few pics to haunt your gardening nightmares.
    images
    images
    images
    and apparently some sub varietals are yellow. I've only seen the black ones in my yard
    images

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Step on them. I have never found a use...can't even get fish to eat them. Just an unnaturally ugly bug, I think it's the state bug for whever HB is from.

jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    In Lafitte we used to call the Railroad Crickets. To anyone not familiar or who has never seen them before they can really get creeped out by them. Especially women. I remember I snuck up on my GF with one in my hand. She literally screamed bloody freaking murder. They don't sting or bite.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I saw those bastards carpeting the roadway one year in Austin. Tire tracks through the swarm were solid black with the carcasses of the little vermin.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    hmm, 12 gauge sounds appealing. But Im the new neighbor in a very old neighborhood in south BR. Pretty sure my neighbors are politicians, lawyers, professors, and the like. The kinda folk who would run me off if they new I owned even a bb gun lol. I've heard em called Devil Horses as well. I want them all gone (humane/eco-concious or not) before all my flowers and landscaping are! The only solution the google had to offer was wait till spring when the babies hatch and walk around with a bucket of soapy water and just throw em in. In reference to them not biting, I just read that they can excrete a poison foam from the abdomen that is a skin irritant and they can also spit half digested plant matter that will stain anything it touches. Darn bugs got me grumpy. Bout to go on a walk with the bat...

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    hmm, 12 gauge sounds appealing. But Im the new neighbor in a very old neighborhood in south BR. Pretty sure my neighbors are politicians, lawyers, professors, and the like. The kinda folk who would run me off if they new I owned even a bb gun lol. I've heard em called Devil Horses as well. I want them all gone (humane/eco-concious or not) before all my flowers and landscaping are! The only solution the google had to offer was wait till spring when the babies hatch and walk around with a bucket of soapy water and just throw em in. In reference to them not biting, I just read that they can excrete a poison foam from the abdomen that is a skin irritant and they can also spit half digested plant matter that will stain anything it touches. Darn bugs got me grumpy. Bout to go on a walk with the bat...

Maybe we will make them the theme of the next Southdowns parade!

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Use tape/sticky pads to get em. Tape would work really well around the plants you don't want them to destroy they'll stick to it and then all you have to use is your trusty bat since blunt force trauma seems to be the only thing that can kills these things.

Dawn dish soap works wonders as well. Mix it up so it will foam well and soak your plants in it. It doesn't hurt the plants but the devil horses can't stomach it and die. (found that with some google-fu.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    Sounds like a challenge for Billy the exterminator. They are in the family of the short-horned grasshoppers.

Top Bottom