Can anyone here weld aluminum?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Looking to get a few holes welded up on an aluminum boat. If anyone here does that kind of work or can direct me to someone that can please shoot me a PM or leave a message here.

Thanks.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    that cold weld aluma rod works better for that

I was going to try that but there seems to be a lack of information on the internet about peoples experiences. Most of it is just advertisements.

Oh well, worth a shot. Thanks for the info.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Hey shoot 10shotgroup a email, he is the man your looking for, he can weld anything including aluminum boats.

Last edited:

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I need more info on what you got. If it's a bateau, and the holes are in the bottom and the aluminum is thin, your better using cold weld or something similar, as I'll proably just make your holes bigger. Now if it's a thicker boat like a skiff with 1/8 or 3/16 I can do that easily. I also have some industrial coating to fix those holes in a bateau.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    If you really want it welded, there is a guy in Central I have used a few times on my old Bateau. I dont have his number anymore but his name is Bud Cessia, (maybe Cessa). Tigs everything and does a great job.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I need more info on what you got. If it's a bateau, and the holes are in the bottom and the aluminum is thin, your better using cold weld or something similar, as I'll proably just make your holes bigger. Now if it's a thicker boat like a skiff with 1/8 or 3/16 I can do that easily. I also have some industrial coating to fix those holes in a bateau.

Yeah I'd say it's pretty thin. Probably 16 gauge? Thanks for your opinion on the matter. I'll use that cold weld stick this afternoon and see how it turns out. I'd imagine that stuff is prone to corrosion if it's not treated correct?

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Yeah I'd say it's pretty thin. Probably 16 gauge? Thanks for your opinion on the matter. I'll use that cold weld stick this afternoon and see how it turns out. I'd imagine that stuff is prone to corrosion if it's not treated correct?

Holes or cracks in the bottom of bateaus are usually there because the metal has worn thin or worn away so they are always hard to weld. I can't tig aluminum some one who can tig aluminum might can fix it. If it were me I would coat the holes. aluminum gets dirty and if it's not clean even weld won't stick. The trick is to make sure it's CLEAN.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Holes or cracks in the bottom of bateaus are usually there because the metal has worn thin or worn away so they are always hard to weld. I can't tig aluminum some one who can tig aluminum might can fix it. If it were me I would coat the holes. aluminum gets dirty and if it's not clean even weld won't stick. The trick is to make sure it's CLEAN.

Definitely not cracks. one puncture hole and a couple of holes that looked like maybe saltwater corrosion or some kind of corrosion by the silt caked up in the styrofoam.

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There is a place on North Ardenwood near Choctaw that does. I had him weld some pieces on to the aluminum radiator in the Mustang so I could mount an electric fan.

Top Bottom