Can I use .38 Special ammo in a S&W snub nose .38?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Got my girl the little pink snub nose .38 and I already have some .38 Special rounds. Will these work? Thanks
    20240424_025141.jpg

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Picture of revolver with barrel stampings along with above photo would help members provide an accurate answer. You may wish to lay a piece of paper over serial # or obscure it in some way before posting photo.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Got my girl the little pink snub nose .38 and I already have some .38 Special rounds. Will these work? ThanksView attachment 162910
    New Girl Friend, or same one?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Barrel stamping should say .38 S&W Spl (or special on some older guns). If it's a modern J frame it will likely say .38 S&W Spl +P which is also fine. But if just says .38 S&W ( highly unlikely in 2024) that's a different cartridge altogether.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Barrel stamping should say .38 S&W Spl (or special on some older guns). If it's a modern J frame it will likely say .38 S&W Spl +P which is also fine. But if just says .38 S&W ( highly unlikely in 2024) that's a different cartridge altogether.
    My 38spl. Is a S&W airweight. #642 so alloy and Stainless
    Says 38spl. S&W said no +P (higher pressure)

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    The serial number will not be near the barrel stamping .
    No, it won't. If it's a Smith with fixed sights, the SN will be stamped on the bottom of the backstrap. If it has adjustable sights (which I doubt this one does), it will be stamped on the frame where the crane is, and the bottom of the backstrap.
    I was just posting/suggesting for him not to display the Ser # in any photos.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    No, it won't. If it's a Smith with fixed sights, the SN will be stamped on the bottom of the backstrap. If it has adjustable sights (which I doubt this one does), it will be stamped on the frame where the crane is, and the bottom of the backstrap.
    I was just posting/suggesting for him not to display the Ser # in any photos.
    Yeah , I'm not a believer in that whole serial number thing but that's a different discussion .

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    right its 2024… there’s so many other things of personal infor they are trying to get outta you, there’s not much they can do with a pic of your serial number… but I understand
    IIRC, one of the biggest problems was anti gunner folks reporting guns stolen just to cause problems for the pro gun folks. Either way, I’m not taking any chances.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    New Girl Friend, or same one?
    Not that it's any of your gd business but obviously I wouldn't buy a gun for a person that can't have guns and then advertise it online. The one from the post you're quoting lasted about a week and a half. But thanks for the completely relevant comment.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Picture of revolver with barrel stampings along with above photo would help members provide an accurate answer. You may wish to lay a piece of paper over serial # or obscure it in some way before posting photo.
    Good idea. Should've done that to begin with but didn't even think about it. I'm not at the house right now with it but I'm pretty sure the barrel stamp says 38 S&W

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    Good idea. Should've done that to begin with but didn't even think about it. I'm not at the house right now with it but I'm pretty sure the barrel stamp says 38 S&W
    If it says .38 S&W, that's NOT .38 Special and the ammo you pictured IS NOT safe to use in it. The cases will split when fired and possibly even damage the gun and/or shooter. Don't try it.
    However, if the barrel is stamped ".38 Special", then it should be safe to use the pictured ammo.

Waldowiseman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If it says .38 S&W, that's NOT .38 Special and the ammo you pictured IS NOT safe to use in it. The cases will split when fired and possibly even damage the gun and/or shooter. Don't try it.
    However, if the barrel is stamped ".38 Special", then it should be safe to use the pictured ammo.
    Thank you. Exactly what I needed. I'll check when I get home from work to verify. I was just trying to cut a corner here because I live in a small town with only a Walmart and evidently Walmart doesn't sell actual handgun ammo anymore. So I figured I'd try some old 38 Special ammo. I'll just make the drive and go get exactly the proper ammo for this thing. Last thing I need is for her to get hurt trying to stop from getting hurt by someone.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Thank you. Exactly what I needed. I'll check when I get home from work to verify. I was just trying to cut a corner here because I live in a small town with only a Walmart and evidently Walmart doesn't sell actual handgun ammo anymore. So I figured I'd try some old 38 Special ammo. I'll just make the drive and go get exactly the proper ammo for this thing. Last thing I need is for her to get hurt trying to stop from getting hurt by someone.
    Bring that to me and ask for TurtleSaucepicante, That's the super secret password, Then we will go blast away the box you have.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    38 Colt , 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38S&W Short, 38 S&W long, 38 Automatic , 38 Super Automatic, 38/200 Mk II. I am sure I missed a few.

Not a guessing game for people that want to keep their fingers attached to their hands.
    38/44

And 38/40 Win (really 40 cal-10mm)
    I have one. It's a convertible so shoots both 38/40 And 10mm
    I agree.
    Lots of ammo marked 38 something out there be careful

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom