Can I use steel shot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I want to know if I can use steel shot in my H&R Topper 12 gauge. 3 inch. It doesn't say steel anywhere on the barrel but I am just curious. I can't hardly find any lead shot.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    As long as it is more open constriction than a full choke, it should be fine. The steel shot of today is leaps and bounds ahead of when steel shot was first introduced.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I bought 10 rounds of OO Buck other day, just to have around in case. It doesn't say anywhere on the boxes if it is steel or lead. Anyway to tell?

The Winchester Super X says unplated shot.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    A strong magnet.

FWIW, Buckshot isnt steel. The largest steel shot size is "F" shot, and while it is large, It's nowhere near OO buck, somewhere around 50 Pellets per 12 Gauge, 3" shell.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Thanks for yalls advice. I think I'll try to find lead shot shells of the biggest size I can. Any ideas where I can buy lead shot shells?

??? Dude,You just said you bought 00 buckshot the other day, and I promise you It's lead-shot. The fact it says 'unplated shot' is that the winchester supreme buckshot is copper plated and has the plastic buffer in there as well. Cut one open and see for yourself.
    You can find leadshot everywhere, if it clearly doesnt state "STEEL" somewhere on top of the box of shells, its lead. :doh:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Okay. good info. Besides buckshot, what would be a good shot size for close in quarters, would BB be okay?

If its all you had on hand, but would not be my first choice. I have heard of people taking deer w/ "T" shot (one size smaller than "F" shot). I wouldnt want to get shot w/ #9 shot at close quarters, but I have seen many geese/ducks shot close w/ BB steel and fly off out of sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom