Can question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CMorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    Anyone have any experience with Huntertown arms suppressors? I like the modularity of them and really want to get a can. Any logical advice would be nice. Also I am in St. Martin parish and I don't even know how the S.O. feels about cans.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/

Last edited:

CMorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    I actually just set up a trust. I plan on going with a Houston Armory 300 AAC upper that is integrally suppressed. But I still want one of these for my 5.56 and 22lr. I am very please with the way the trust is going, it definitely makes like alot easier.

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    The Huntertown Kestrel 5.56 gets decent reviews (for an economy can); most argue the AAC M4-2000 is "best", a lot of people are pleased with Yankee Hill Machine Phantoms; and a general concensus is that a .30 cal can (also used for several calibers) will supress 5.56 as well as a dedicated 5.56 can.
    You might want to check out the AAC 7.62-SDN-6 as a multi-purpose can. This would cover you from 5.56, .300 Blackout, and most .30 cal. and do a fine job of it also.

The Huntertown Guardian S/S .22LR gets decent reviews; some argue it's a tad quieter than the Kestrel .22 (which is claimed to be as quiet as the Sparrow). Check out the Liberty and Thompson Machine also.

The Guardian 9 is supposed to be quiet also for 9mm.

Check out the YouTube videos for suppressors; although you really can't tell much soundwise due to the use of sound-cancelling microphones used on the recorders (false sound levels due to the electronic sound management).

Look at the other suppressors also; AAC, Silencerco, Liberty, Thompsone Machine; and there are quite a few others as well

There's another website that posts suppressor testing, I think it's done by Major Malfunction. If you read some of the forums on the above silencertalk and nfatalk sites, it'll get you there.
    eta: accidently found it 15Nov!
    http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/247-SILENCER-SOUND-TESTING

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    For the DOLLAR, I don't think there's a better review. Their warranty is some of the best I heard of. They warranty everything but 'stupid' - but they'll say they'll even warranty stupid once.

Their cans are great metal, and perform really competitively. They don't have any fancy ratchet or FH attaching mounts, they're just thread-on right now. I'd heard rumors that they're working on a QD attachment though.

One of the best things about them is that the serialized part is damn near impossible to damage/destroy. There is an internal stainless steel sleeve that protects it, and the mount is threaded into the serialized part. The baffle rube is a two piece assembly which is comprised of the serialized part, and the baffle tube. They thread together to form the full length can. Then the muzzle cap is threaded into the serialized portion. Toss the baffles into the tube, thread on the end-cap and done. It's a fantastic system that won't come apart on you due to the shouldered mating systems of it all. Why all that matters is warranty. If the serialized portion is destroyed or damaged beyond repair, you may have to get a new tax stamp. If the serialized portion is never damaged, then any damage to the other parts is just warranty work or replacement parts... much easier than tax stamp wait times.

They don't use cheap 304/304L stainless steels either, they use tough alloys. Their baffle stack being accessible is great... if the first baffle starts to wear, you can open the can up, put a less-worn baffle up front, and you're back to like-new performance. It's a nice benefit to open-can design. It's not /necessary/ for some cans made out of inconel and other high nickel exotic alloys, but you pay for that too.

That all applies to the Kestrel type centerfire cans.

I like Huntertown Arms' products, and I like them as a company. The guy that runs it is a vet, Marine Corps, and his shtick on 22 cans is "cheaper than the tax stamp" and has a good 22 can for $199. Just wants a can in every safe in america... can't hate on that. He favors civilian markets over military. At least for now.

For a 22, I'm likely going with a Huntertown Arms.

Last edited:

CMorse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    Good read. I am pretty certain I will be purchasing one for my 5.56/22 I don't really care for QD mounts. Thread is perfectly fine by me. If I am using my can I'll have it mounted on my rifle before hand. I have no anticipation of assaulting an objective then tossing it on before CQB kicks off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom