can someone educate me on choke tubes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    in a nutshell, ranging from the most open pattern, to the tightest pattern:

Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified, Improved Modified, Full, Xtra Full

what task are you looking to accomplish?

i was just tryin to figure out what choke tubes for what tasks. i have two remington 870s one has modified one has improved modified, i'm thinking either will work for water foul or small game, i'm wondering how they will work with buckshot.

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA
    i was just tryin to figure out what choke tubes for what tasks. i have two remington 870s one has modified one has improved modified, i'm thinking either will work for water foul or small game, i'm wondering how they will work with buckshot.

Do they have removable choke tubes (RemChoke)? If so you can shoot whatever with each gun, all you have to do is swap out the choke tube.

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    that choketubes.com thing missed a few

it didn't cover the chokes i have or buckshot, it told me alot, but i'm still fuzzy on some stuff

do the choke tubes have on them if they use lead or steel? what i mean is stamped on them, "lead only" etc.

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    Do they have removable choke tubes (RemChoke)? If so you can shoot whatever with each gun, all you have to do is swap out the choke tube.

i know this, and yes i can remove the choke, i just want to know what choke is good for what task, this is a subject i've always been fuzzy on (the mossberg i hunted with as a kid didn't have tubes)

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Some chokes, as in my super full turkey chokes, are marked no steel shot. If it is not marked, than you can shoot either out of it. No slugs through a choke.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am no expert, but common uses would be (that I have seen):
    Cylinder - Skeet,
    Modified - birds or near same as below
    Improved Modified - Great all around for birds, tree rats, ducks.
    Full - Deer, higher up ducks, or geese
    Xtra Full - Turkey, I used to used these to pattern (at greater distances) my #4 lead for hog hunting.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Steel shot will typically pattern 1 tube tighter than marked i.e. an improved cylinder tube will pattern modified with steel. With respect to buckshot, it may be best to pattern the specific load with a couple of tubes. Tighter is usually better to the point where the shot becomes deformed. Deformed shot pellets will spread more than round ones. On top of everything, you should pattern specific loads with several tubes to get the specific results you are looking for. The mysteries of ballistics sometimes cause results that run counter to the norm.

Dan

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    On top of everything, you should pattern specific loads with several tubes to get the specific results you are looking for. The mysteries of ballistics sometimes cause results that run counter to the norm.

Dan

Correct (as usual).

I have a Beretta factory "full" choke that patterns a LOT tighter than my Briley "extra full." (with the same shells).

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom