Can we get region prefix in classified to go with WTS,WTB, etc

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Isaac-1

Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    It would be a great help to those of us wanting to do FTF sales and not located in the SE corner of the state if we could have region of the state included in the classified ads subject line. This could elimante having to read well over 75% of the ads just to find out the seller is 200+ miles away. Just something simple like SELA, SWLA, NWLA, NELA and CENLA, maybe even SCLA for the Lafayette area.

Ike

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    This is why we require sellers to have the location filled out in their profile. 3 lines down from their name, listed in each thread, and is much more accurate than all of the acronyms above.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Pretty sure the rule for "location must be in your profile" is for this very purpose. You can quickly look under someone's username on the left column to figure out where they are.

1cn5ubafenwp8xhuuozf.jpg

Ooops a little late to the party :o Guess it took me too long to use mspaint :rofl:

JNieman

Dush
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is why we require sellers to have the location filled out in their profile. 3 lines down from their name, listed in each thread, and is much more accurate than all of the acronyms above.
    Yea, I'm with that.

Often times, as well, people travel, such as living in Baton Rouge, working in Lafayette, or living in Shreveport but traveling to NOLA on business a lot...

So the prefix might be /less/ accurate than profile, as well.

I think profile is the best, of the two solutions proposed (OP's change, and "leave it")

Isaac-1

Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Yes, but you don't see any of that until you click on the classified ad while reading through the classified section, you only see the poster's name, not the location. A region in the subject line would eliminate a LOT of ad clicking. Or is there some Forum configuration I am missing where it shows location with user name of the person that started the message thread?

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Right, if I prefer to do face to face sales (at lesat for used guns), I would not be buying if I clicked on it or not. If it was something that I would not mind buying through the mail, then I can probably figure that out from the subject line and click regardless of the location.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If it was something that I would not mind buying through the mail, then I can probably figure that out from the subject line and click regardless of the location.

So, you're wanting to have a location put in the subject of each classified ad so you can decide if it's something worthy of you to buy without having it shipped, all because clicking on the ad takes to long? Just making sure I'm understanding this.

SpeedRacer

Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't completely follow the need for it, but if enough members think it's a good idea we'll look into what it would take to implement.

Isaac-1

Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Basically correct, as I see it other than buying from a great group of people it makes little difference in buying from someone on this board and having to have a gun shipped from someone 250 - 300 miles away, than it does to buy from one of the national gun ad boards and have the gun shipped from 1,500 miles away. It is still much of the same hassle, and when buying a gun that is used one looses a lot of the ability to inspect before making a final decision, at a minimum one would have to go through the hassle of return shipping, etc.

I (and I suspect many other members) much prefer the option of face to face sales, not only do you get a chance to see the condition of the gun in person, but you often get a better feel for how it was treated, and details of its history that many people do not want to take the time to go into online.

If your in the SE part of the state and clicking on every classified ad that has an interesting subject it is not that big of deal, but please take a few minutes, go to the classified section and pretend you live in Shreveport or Lake Charles, that your willing to drive an hour or maybe even an hour and half to see a gun your interested in. Now click on ads for some guns that may interest you, and count how many you have to go through before you get to 3 guns within your driving radius.

Ike

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    It takes 3-5 seconds to click on a the post and see the location.
    There were 45 post in the Firearms Classifieds section in the last 24 hrs. Some of those were bumps, so not all new post to click on.
    But if you clicked every post for the day, it would take less that 4 minutes.

Isaac-1

Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    My point exactly 4 minutes per day, every day, that is half an hour per week of useless clicking, 2 hours per month, ... with maybe 1 in 30-50 ads being within that hour and a half driving range, gets old fairly quick. It is not so bad when every other ad is near you, or even when its every 3rd or 4th.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I went back and counted.
    It was 9 new post today.
    That is under 1 min per day.
    30 min a month.
    I'm sure you waste more time time than that.

And look at my location.
    There are way more deals close to you than to me.
    I'm lucky to find a deal close to me ever.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm with Isaac on this one. It wouldn't cost anything to add a region to an add's subject line.

WTS: Dillon Aero in Central, LA

WTS: Howitzer in N.O.

WTS: Dragon Anti-tank Missile in B.R.

see... not hard. I might decide its worth the drive from N.O. to Central to buy a Dillon Aero where I wouldn't for a 10/22... without having to click on it. Easy.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I'm interested in the howitzer. What's the round count?

Will trade 2 Mk48 torpedoes. Safe queens, like new, never fired.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    It would be a great help to those of us wanting to do FTF sales and not located in the SE corner of the state if we could have region of the state included in the classified ads subject line. This could elimante having to read well over 75% of the ads just to find out the seller is 200+ miles away. Just something simple like SELA, SWLA, NWLA, NELA and CENLA, maybe even SCLA for the Lafayette area.

Ike

REALLLLLY? Can't ya just LOOK to the LEFT to see who it is posting.....Don't you usually ALSO check the person's feedback rating as well???......It is REQUIRED to POST....or at least required for it to remain!!
    COM-ON MAN!!

KT

Top Bottom