Canoe Hog Hunting in Pearl River WMA ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Not sure I would enjoy that ride... a gator attacking my towed hog and thrashing my canoe around from behind me. Probably not the wisest of situations to put myself in.

I purchased a 15' canoe today with an 800# capacity (on sale at Wal-Mart from $650 to $400). Myself, hunting gear, electric motor and battery(ies) should weigh about 400#, leaving plenty of weight capacity to put a beast in the boat and not create a blood trail.

Really looking forward to silently navigating the waterways looking for hogs!

Now to investigate motors, battery consumption and steering. The canoe manufacturer says 40# thrust is the max for an electric motor, but I'm considering pushing that to 50#. Also need to educate myself on thrust force as it pertains to battery drainage (giving up faster battery power drainage for extra thrust power). Also need to investigate a way to quickly and quietly lift the prop out of the water and power it off. Would like to have foot controls for steering if I can find a cheap way to accomplish hands-free driving. Anyone have experience with these issues?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    the min kota endure 30 worked great in a 14' bateau for me.. get you going pleanty fast enough, I think jumping up to a bigger 45ft/lb-50ft/lb the cost really jumps up... I know with a 29 series deep cycle battery with that set up as long as I didn't run it on max speed for much more than a total of 5-10 mins, I could troll very quiet on 1-3 power for around 6 hours. now the current also depended on it. Through trying it out I found anything over 2-3 power made way to much water ripple noise, and with a streamlined canoe, it shouldn't take much power to get that thing moving. I have a flat back pirogue I have been wanting to try my trolling motor on but anytime I get ready to use it I just paddle lol

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I use 2 deep cycle batteries in my pirogue 1 for out and 1 for in.
    Wingate
    Also my trolling motor is foot operated.

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    That was a great article.

What size batteries are you using?

The two battery option is a nice way to prevent having to paddle all the way home. Trying to decide if I should go that route. I've purchased a Minn Kota Traxxis 45# thrust trolling motor. Amazon had a good deal going. Am looking at the UB121000 12v 100ah battery. It weighs 64 pounds, but 100ah is nice.The Traxxis motor is variable speed (thanks for the recommendations on that!) so the drain on the battery should be as minimal as possible.

Having never hunted from an electric powered canoe before, I don't know what my battery drain will be. At $160 per battery (and 64 pounds), I'd rather not purchase a second battery if it's crazy overkill. I just don't know how many hours I'll be running at high thrust in main waterways verses slowly creeping around corners in low thrust -- all of which determines battery drain or lack thereof. Any comments?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    That was a great article.

What size batteries are you using?

The two battery option is a nice way to prevent having to paddle all the way home. Trying to decide if I should go that route. I've purchased a Minn Kota Traxxis 45# thrust trolling motor. Amazon had a good deal going. Am looking at the UB121000 12v 100ah battery. It weighs 64 pounds, but 100ah is nice.The Traxxis motor is variable speed (thanks for the recommendations on that!) so the drain on the battery should be as minimal as possible.

Having never hunted from an electric powered canoe before, I don't know what my battery drain will be. At $160 per battery (and 64 pounds), I'd rather not purchase a second battery if it's crazy overkill. I just don't know how many hours I'll be running at high thrust in main waterways verses slowly creeping around corners in low thrust -- all of which determines battery drain or lack thereof. Any comments?

I had a 34# Minnkota on a 14'x4' Jon-boat, 5/6 hours no problem!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    $15 for a spare prop... sold!

I wonder if I could use my 6x12 utility trailer as a canoe hauler and launcher? Build some canoe supports with 2x4s and cover with carpet. Remove the trailer gate and I don't see why it would not work. How much difference is there between a marine boat trailer and a utility trailer? Has anyone tried this?

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I've got a canoe with electric motor that I bought about 3 years ago to do exactly that. When I got out of my lease, I haven't used it since. It is incredible at sneaking up on things. I'd be willing to sell it, as I just have no use for it anymore. Pm me if your interested

buckedup

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    Tylertown Ms.

I wonder if I could use my 6x12 utility trailer as a canoe hauler and launcher? Build some canoe supports with 2x4s and cover with carpet. Remove the trailer gate and I don't see why it would not work. How much difference is there between a marine boat trailer and a utility trailer? Has anyone tried this?

I put mine on a truck rack. Works great but you need 2 people

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA

This is what I did to haul my pirogue I used my boat trailer but you could a utility trailer just as easy.
    Wingate
    PS don't make fun of the color as this was to honor my Brother-in-Law who has cancer. 20160710_135658.jpg20160710_135658.jpg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    some old pics I found of how I used to have it set up!!

Attachments

• asset3.jpg
      asset3.jpg
      15.5 KB · Views: 125
    • asset4.jpg
      asset4.jpg
      17.7 KB · Views: 139
    • asset6.jpg
      asset6.jpg
      16.3 KB · Views: 130
    • asset7.jpg
      asset7.jpg