Canoeing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    I haven't been camping too much lately, but I like to go canoeing in the swamps around here. Here are a few pics from my outings.

Ceaser and I in Bayou Lafourche.
    000_0193.jpg

Flat Lake
    000_0376.jpg

000_0377.jpg

000_0386.jpg

000_0389.jpg

000_0396.jpg

000_0397.jpg

Little Gators come up to the boat because people feed them. Problem is they grow to be big gators that come up to the boat looking for a handout. So I usually crack them over the head with the paddle. They seem to be coming to the boat less these days.:D

This little fella has a headache coming in the near future:
    000_0420.jpg

000_0419.jpg

This is a 9' gator that was following us. You can see him between the posts.
    Pic quality sucks though.
    000_0435.jpg

I guess this one got hit by a boat.:confused:
    000_0384.jpg

Headed for a Moonlight Paddle (Flat Lake)
    000_0356.jpg

This is usually how I travel. (M-1 30 Carbine & GPS)
    000_0207.jpg

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Nice!

My canoe is an Old Town Stillwater 14'x40" fiberglass with wooden frame/wicker bottom seats. I recently got some wood/wicker fold-up seat backs for it. In style now. I brought it up to the MN/Canada Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness a couple times. If you love canoeing, that is the Mecca of destinations. People fly from around the world just to rent a canoe and portage around up there.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I miss going canoeing. I haven't gone since Katrina. We've done most of the local rivers- Black Creek, Magee's, Bogue Chitto, and -my favorite- the Okatoma. We went white water rafting once also- Occoee River's Olympic section. That was great! I haven't done a whole lot of flat water canoeing though.
    I need to buy a canoe. After the AR build though...

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I think the kayak weighs almost as much as me, lol...its one of those 14' kayaks for people up to 350lbs....I weigh a whopping 150, wet.

Screaming Eagle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Heel of the Boot
    You could ride Ceaser if you needed to, eh? Good dog. Ouiskachitto River that runs from near Oberlin south is a good family canoe trip. Least it was the last time I was there. Gets kinda nutty during summer just because of idgits drinking too much and showing their collective behinds, but it is a nice easy float that can take from 3 hours to all day if you want to take your time. Lots of sandbars to stop and eat and rest and ....well, you know. And they rent canoes for about $20 with pickup and transfer back to your vehicle.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    When I was a kid the Tangipahoa was still wild. No people for miles, and the water was really rough. I can recall one trip when we brought a bunch of piroques, and lost four out of 12 of them to the rough water. Two of them snapped abeam before sinking. Two submerged beneath log jams and their occupants just got out alive. God I miss it.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    lilmoose, I'm a little late on this post but I just joined this week. Man ,great picks. 25 -30 years ago I just about lived in my canoe. I had a 17' Mohawk. I spent most of my time on Bayou Teche and the Atchafalaya Basin. I also spent a lot of time on the Ouiskachitto River (I was good friends with Smitty). We would also do the Buffalo River 2 or 3 times a year. Brings back some good times and good memories. Thanks :D

ART

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    lilmoose, I'm a little late on this post but I just joined this week. Man ,great picks. 25 -30 years ago I just about lived in my canoe. I had a 17' Mohawk. I spent most of my time on Bayou Teche and the Atchafalaya Basin. I also spent a lot of time on the Ouiskachitto River (I was good friends with Smitty). We would also do the Buffalo River 2 or 3 times a year. Brings back some good times and good memories. Thanks :D

ART

The Canoe I have is just a cheap one I bought from Academy Sports a few years ago. I really want to get a little solo canoe thats a little bit lighter. But with a baby on the way I need to hold off on the toys for a while.;)

But I go whenever I get the chance. I sometimes bring other people with me but it's a pain if they are not used to paddling for a long distance and I end up doing the majority of the paddling.

This is my Wife with me headed for a moonlight paddle.
    Basically you head out near sunset and wait for the full moon to come up and paddle back under the moonlight.
    000_0359-1.jpg

The next two are a couple of my nefews that I sometimes bring fishing.
    000_0414.jpg

100_0705.jpg

Top Bottom