Can't decide between an 870 or a 500. Help me out

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Il_Baffo

Tacticool
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If this thread has been re-hashed a million times let me know. But I can't decide between a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. I want the shotgun for home defense, not hunting. I want it to be around an 18'' barrel and I will probably end up putting a pistol grip and folding stock on it because if I ever have to use it I want to be able to go around corners.

The Mossberg 500 is currently in the lead in my mind because it has more capacity and the Cruiser model already comes stock-less with a pistol grip. I've never been into shotguns much, though. I just want a good reliable pump-action for home defense.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    One is remington... one is mossberg. Personally, the one in the classifieds right now (870) that is FDE is making me drool.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Those are both great shotguns. You will be more than happy with either. Personally I grew up on 870's so I have two of those.. but to each his own..

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Both the 870 and Mossy 500 are great guns. I would go for the 870 due to more aftermarket add-ons and easier adaptation. 870s have been proven time and time again, are just plain reliable, and have the safety in the "correct" place. Plus they never wrote a book about the 500.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    870. I have three. I've only shot one Mossberg a long time ago, but it convinced me not to fool with them. I'm guessing they're better now since people like them.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    590!!! check out the 590A1 model. the 590 has a nice capacity and it also has better ergonomics to offer.
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

HOWEVER...Magpul makes some badass furniture for the 870! I just want them to make it for the mossberg 500/90!!!

remington-870-magpul-kit.jpg

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    They are both great tools, and I have had both, but if it were me, I'd go Mossy, simply for the fact that the first gun I ever shot was a 500 20ga. You can get the 18" 5+1 with stock and separate PG kit at Academy for about $300-ish with taxes.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    As soon as you said pistol grip you take the mossberg out of contention. The safety is just in a bad spot to manipulate with a pistol grip. That being said I loved my 590 and 500 I had, but I still own two 870s. Just my 2 cents. Another thing is the fact that any shotgun you can shoot with a pistol grip you will shoot better with a buttstock. I swapped mine out and will not go back to a folding stock or pistol grip.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    QUOTE: "Another thing is the fact that any shotgun you can shoot with a pistol grip you will shoot better with a buttstock. I swapped mine out and will not go back to a folding stock or pistol grip." ShinerBark

Meeeee Tooooo.................................

This is absolutely correct, "110%"

I have several 870's and a 500.

The 870's, like "Bad Girls", go EVERYWHERE !

The Mossberg lives in the safe, except for turkey hunts. And, I haven't been turkey hunting in 15 years.

leVieux

Last edited:

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Glad i saw this thread... hope to get a 870 of the tactical flavor in a couple months

I'm liking the 887 nitro mag tactical, Is that model good to go?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    IIRC the 590 is the only model the Marines selected/approved. Mine as always been great (but my Saiga with 20 round drum is a hoot to shoot). 870 has been around forever. Buy the one you get the best deal on but reconsider the pistol grip unless you have tried one and really like it, IMO.

lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    Both the 870 and Mossy 500 are great guns. I would go for the 870 due to more aftermarket add-ons and easier adaptation. 870s have been proven time and time again, are just plain reliable, and have the safety in the "correct" place. Plus they never wrote a book about the 500.

This^.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Six or a half dozen?

Honestly, both are great and the only real question is "where do you want the safety?" If you want pistol grip of any type, the 870 is the better choice as the safety is behind the trigger guard and easy to get to with a pistol grip. With a traditional stock, either works as the Mossy is on top and is easy to get to with your thumb.......

Thinking about something Alan said in my requal class the other day... you tend to lose your thumbs as they are a finer motor skill in a high stress situation.... This might make the top safety of the Mossy harder to deactivate. :dunno:

Top Bottom