Car guy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    What's the guys name on here who's a car mechanic. I have a question and I'd like to pm him.

Thanks!

--Sent from my Galaxy S6

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It appears Vince hasn't been on here for awhile. My question is this:

I drive a SUV that I recently had window tint (legally) applied to. I can't see out of the back window at night while backing into spots easily and the backup camera doesn't perform too well in low light situations. I'd like to either make the reverse lights brighter (LEDs?) or add a small lightbar somewhere to the back where it wouldn't be visible unless engaged. I'm leaning towards just brighter reverse lights. I have no idea how any of that stuff works as I am not a car guy in that regard by any means. Thoughts or advice?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Depending on the car, and position of your reverse bulbs, LED bulbs can be swapped and some designed similar to a projector and some with some serious lumens. So like a weapon light, usually the more expensive ones are better. Check out vleds or superbrightleds for your led's. Also check the sylvania bulb guide for what type of bulb you need. I've even heard of tahoes with hid's for reverse lamps.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ditto what Noob said. There are plenty of aftermarket bulbs made to fit the OEM receptacles, and so many killer bright LEDs now. I have seen a real nice bright white LED strip that can be wired in as well as mini light bars and they are too bright to look into for long.
    The wife's pilot has dark rear tint, and although the camera works great, she never felt comfortable backing up at night. I swapped the OEM's for some LEDs that look like a cube of diodes with the pin type plug on the bottom and she hasn't complained since.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I have a set of Rigid 2x2 cubes on a fabbed mount in my Wrangler's spare tire on the back gate. They can be put pretty much anywhere. Hit me up if you need a hand with installing something. We always doing something on bikes or jeeps around my place.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    When swapping bulbs be aware of amperage draw.

I had a dealership that asked me to drive one of their used trucks for a couple of days to help figure out an intermittent transmission problem. The culprit turned out to be the aftermarket bulbs the prior owner had wired in. They drew too many amps.

Another buddy changed all his bulbs to led and immediately popped fuses.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Leds always draw less current than regular bulbs. If leds pop fuses, something is very wrong. Stick with reputable makers and shouldn't a problem. Avoid eBay cheap junk.

Try leds first. It's the cheap easy fix. I put one in my Mustang and backing up is much easier now. And it's in a terrible place (close to ground)

Another trick to try. Keep brake pedal touched lightly so brake lights stay on. Instant brighter light.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE