Carbine Optic Choices

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goteron

Unity Tactical
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    A discussion on optic choices for carbines. Moved from the "Ask Advantage Group" thread.

Current discussion - perceived pros and cons of variable magnification optics vs traditional RDS optics.

JWG223

Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    A discussion on optic choices for carbines. Moved from the "Ask Advantage Group" thread.

Current discussion - perceived pros and cons of variable magnification optics vs traditional RDS optics.

Thanks, I did not mean to side-track the other thread.

I am currently running an M4S. I run it because: I tried almost all of the 1.5 through 4X ACOG's and they just flat out sucked up close unless using BAC, which for me sometimes had a POI shift of up to a foot across a room with the covered objective method. Very poor compared to an RDS.

Now I run an RDS, but hitting things PRECISELY at 100+ yards is not as easy as with an optic. I would go so far as to say I can shoot tighter groups using A2 iron sights than I can an RDS. My best group using M855 using irons was 2.25" at 100 yards for 5 shots from a .gov profile A2 barrel. So far the best I managed with an ACOG TA44SG-10 was around 6" or so. Of course, I tried a lot more for that 2.25" group. Shot a lot more that day. I was hitting the white M855 Winchester boxes 3/4 times, though, at 100+ yards using A2's. It was slower than an RDS, but I think more accurate.

Anyway, long story short, my rifle will be used for hunting, plinking, and punching paper more than it will be for shooting angry UN storm-troopers storming the country to enslave me (I hope...), so, with that in mind, I would like an optic that gives me the intermediate range/fun/capability to ID a target (Neighbor's dog...or lone coyote?) without sacrificing any more than I have to for CQB type work, if I ever need to use it as such.

Top Bottom