Carbine vs Mid Length Gas System - AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HATHORN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Anybody have any strong feelings against the Carbine vs Mid-Length Gas system in the AR-15? Of course the mid length enables less kick-back and may consequently be easier on internal parts, but is the difference really that much? Just wondering because some manufacturers dont offer mid-length in 16" (like Colt) -- let me know.

Also, if you prefer the mid-length gas system, what is the best gun for a low to reasonable price? Thanks

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    An often overlooked aspect of the Carbine vs Middie discussion is the reliability issue-- or more specifically, those that can easily be avoided by going Middie.

Super-technically-long-and-boring story short-- over gassing can cause problems, too. Especially over time.

I suspect Colt doesn't offer middies because their original design was for mil-contract M4's-- which necessarily run a carbine-length gas system, by virtue of their (short) barrel length.

Carbine, mid or rifle length-- whoever you go with, make sure it's someone who'll get the size and location of the port correct...

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It's a .22caliber rifle. Suck it up buttercup. I'd much rather have carbine has than poorly executed mid length gas.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    128895844743138012.jpg

HATHORN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    LOL!! Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the AR is a glorified .22 on steroids. My main concern is the reliability issues & internal part wear that I've heard are associated with the carbine gas system. Hey, if the wife and kids enjoy the lessened recoil, then that just means I'll be more likely to buy them one as well!! :D

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Mid Gas MAY be easier on internal parts. If its done right. It's unlikely you would shoot a carbine gas gun out. Like I said I'd rather have good carbine gas then shitty mid gas.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The reason companies like Colt don't do it is because there's no defined specs for it, and they don't need to. Rifle and carbine length gas systems have been proven both in the lab and in the field. Midlength gas was invented by the commercial market, and everyone does it a little different. If you're buying from a reputable mfg, I think midlength is a good way to go. It does a good job bridging the gap between the carbine system designed for short barrels and the rifle system designed for long barrels. I've owned both carbine and midlength rifles, and the improvement is noticeable on the midlengths, but it's not an earth shattering difference.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    LOL!! Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the AR is a glorified .22 on steroids. My main concern is the reliability issues & internal part wear that I've heard are associated with the carbine gas system. Hey, if the wife and kids enjoy the lessened recoil, then that just means I'll be more likely to buy them one as well!! :D
    Unless your getting paid to shoot I seriously doubt you'd wear one out anytime soon.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I'm gonna out on a stretch here.
    Even with a long term reliability issue lets just say a SHTF scenario (lol) since the carbine length is what the military favors.... I am going to go out on a limb and assume parts will be easier to get.
    Particularly discovering a rifle or in an armory where replacement parts are kept. But in a normal situation like mentioned I still doubt you will ever have a problem.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm gonna out on a stretch here.
    Even with a long term reliability issue lets just say a SHTF scenario (lol) since the carbine length is what the military favors.... I am going to go out on a limb and assume parts will be easier to get.
    Particularly discovering a rifle or in an armory where replacement parts are kept. But in a normal situation like mentioned I still doubt you will ever have a problem.

The difference is the barrel and gas tube, that's it. I've never heard of a gas tube going bad, and if you're changing the barrel (that's a whole lot of SHingTF) well I guess you can go ahead and switch to a carbine system at the same time. Not really a concern IMO.

ETA: I guess handguards would count too if you're not using a rail, but if those break just make some new ones out of duct tape.

Seriously though the only parts you'd ever likely replace in an AR (springs, bolt, etc) have nothing to do with the gas system.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In the event of Mega-Disaster or One World Governement Take Over its unlikely that the Mil will be handing out small arms parts.

Top Bottom