Careless Operation Ticket

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    So I got into a little fender bender today. Long story short, I thought the person in front of me turned already so I looked to make sure it was clear right before I hit their rear. No damage to them but scrapes and a neat square-shaped hole on my front (from the hitch).

I got a ticket for 32:58 Careless Operation and was told I had to go to the court date to get the fine set. Any ideas how much I'm looking at? I called the number on the ticket but they said I can't just pay a fine since an accident was involved.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If you or your insurance company repairs vehicle #2 prior to the court date take evidence of same to court.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Mine was $550 and given 3 weeks after the fact when I hit someone in the rain. I told the cop I hit the brakes and nothing happened when coming up to the red light (It just changed). I pumped, nothing happened, so I laid on my horn because I was pretty much rolling with no way to stop that I could think of, should have hit the emergency brake, didn't think of it, I was kind of panicked. well a lady makes a right hand turn on a red light since everyone else at the intersection was stopped for me, they got the gist of it since I was probably on going 30mph and I hit her. They tested the brakes a when the car was dry and determined they worked and issued the ticket after the lady's husband Lawyer made some sort of complaint. A few years later I get a recall notice for a car that was totaled that the brakes could fail if submerged in water, which easily could have happened driving through puddles in a hard rain in Louisiana So I lost my car, had higher insurance for 3 years and a $550 ticket. They wouldn't take the ticket off my record, wouldn't give the money back, I went to a lawyer and they said I pretty much didn't have a case without the car, well the car was totaled, and they were pretty sure it was not worth the time since I wasn't injured.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I Got in an accident and the state trooper gave me a ticket for careless operation. I questioned the officer, and his words to me were as follows, "If you hit the car in front of you, One way or another you were operating the car carelessly."

I politely signed my ticket and went about my day. He was absolutely Correct. (Pled not guilty and the charge was reduced to faulty equipment)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I Got in an accident and the state trooper gave me a ticket for careless operation. I questioned the officer, and his words to me were as follows, "If you hit the car in front of you, One way or another you were operating the car carelessly."

I politely signed my ticket and went about my day. He was absolutely Correct. (Pled not guilty and the charge was reduced to faulty equipment)

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

+1

:ohreally:

swood

dood
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    West Monroe
    I had a similar situation (raining, accident, careless operation)....went to my court date, talked with the ADA before court and had it changed to faulty equipment.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    Went to my court date today to handle it, and it turns out the ticket hasn't been entered in the system and I wasn't on the docket. I overheard a few other people being told this. Apparently, I'll be mailed a notice when I get a new date. I got them to put in writing that I was there today, just in case.

Anyone else ever have to deal with this? Is there a backlog with the EBRSO or the DA?

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    Check with the DA's office first. I've got a CDL and had a careless op ticket. Talked to the DA and was able to get it down to a brake tag which kept it off my record. Never hurts to ask, what's the worse that can happen.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Check with the DA's office first. I've got a CDL and had a careless op ticket. Talked to the DA and was able to get it down to a brake tag which kept it off my record. Never hurts to ask, what's the worse that can happen.

Good move on your part. If you have a CDL and go to Court they are not allowed to dismiss your Citation unless you are found Not Guilty.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    When my son started LSU we bought him a Mustang. He ran a red light and the LSP gave him a ticket for running the light and a CO. My son talked them into dropping the CO. If you talk to the Asst DA before court you may work something out.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you or your insurance company repairs vehicle #2 prior to the court date take evidence of same to court.

This is really good advice. Most of the time this is what the DA is looking for. As long as the other people's damage is taken care of then MOSTof the time they are satisfied and will drop or reduce the charges.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Request district attorney assistance.
    When I totaled my sportscar I was cited for careless op. Boy it seems the troopers love that citation. Damn state police lol (: (no hard feelings guys)
    Anyway it was reduced from a fine amount of $210 to $140 and reduced to a non moving violation. Well worth the time it took to fill out my form and send it in.

ZombieHuntr

Out the box....
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    East Baton Rouge
    Request district attorney assistance.
    When I totaled my sportscar I was cited for careless op. Boy it seems the troopers love that citation. Damn state police lol (: (no hard feelings guys)
    Anyway it was reduced from a fine amount of $210 to $140 and reduced to a non moving violation. Well worth the time it took to fill out my form and send it in.

the higher the level of infraction, the better they look. you can beat em at their own game though. just gotta know how.

I got a window tint ticket a while back cuz I had 5% tint all the way around INCLUDING my entire windshield. I drove around and found a car the same model/color as mine that was stock and took a picture of it. Brought the picture to court and said I had the tint removed, heres the proof. Ticket was dropped. Hahahahaha.

Last edited:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I want to make sure I understand this. If a trooper makes an honest mistake, like maybe putting the wrong vehicle color on the ticket, he is a moron and a no good SOB, but the person getting the ticket is encouraged to lie to avoid paying the fine?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    the higher the level of infraction, the better they look. you can beat em at their own game though. just gotta know how.

I got a window tint ticket a while back cuz I had 5% tint all the way around INCLUDING my entire windshield. I drove around and found a car the same model/color as mine that was stock and took a picture of it. Brought the picture to court and said I had the tint removed, heres the proof. Ticket was dropped. Hahahahaha.

They should lock your ass up.

Top Bottom