Carrier Key staking tool

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Hey guys,

I just replaced the carrier key on a bolt carrier and I need to stake it.

Does anyone on the Northshore have a staking tool I can borrow?

Ton

bang bang
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 19, 2006
    New Orleans
    Can't you just use a center punch and a hammer? And why did it needed to be replaced? Just wondering if this is one of those extra parts to have.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Can't you just use a center punch and a hammer? And why did it needed to be replaced? Just wondering if this is one of those extra parts to have.

A punch and hammer may be the route I take, but I'd like to use the tool if possible.

Here's the story on how the original got damaged...

As posted on another forum last week:

This weekend I got around to swapping the DD MFR for an ALG EMR M-Lok rail.

09B6A30C-36AF-4C92-8E3C-F24027C5D016.jpg

Things went normal.

I installed the gas-block ever so slightly crooked, and since it lined up with one of the M-Lok slots, I could see it plain as day. Not very crooked mind you, well within acceptable tolerances.

smiley_thinking.gif

Well, when I got home from work this morning, I had to fix it, otherwise I'd cringe every time I turned the rifle over.

I re-dimpled the barrel, which was a task in and of itself since it was so close to being properly indexed, and cross drilled and installed the included roll pin.

At this point I was pretty happy with myself, I had done a near perfect job using the limited tools available in my kitchen. That's were things went down hill...

After ensuring that the BCG still went into battery smoothly, I picked the upper up with the BCG and charging handle only partially inserted in the upper...

SWISH!

CLACK!

TINK, TINK, TINK!

icon_smile_shock.gif

The BCG slid out of battery, hitting the unlatched charging handle, and then three or so feet to the ceramic tiled floor below (which took the hit like a champ by the way).

I picked the BCG off the floor, did a quick visual inspection, and put it back into the upper. Well, lo and behold, it no longer cycled smoothly.

I took a closer look at the carrier, and noticed a small, slightly flattened spot on the gas key. I removed the bolt and checked fit again. Sure enough, the gas key was the culprit.

Well, just like Ted's mom said, nothing good happens after 2AM.

I ordered a replacement BCG since PSA was out of carriers, and I plan to replace the gas key on this carrier, which brings me back to my initial question:

Does anyone on the Northshore have a gas key staking tool?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom