Carry in a government building?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I can understand a prohibition against carrying a firearm in a courthouse. I don't agree but I understand.

Consolidating govt offices into one building makes sense to me as a money saving measure. What I don't like is that, mainly because there is a courthouse in the building, the entire premises is a no weapon zone.

Case in point:
    When I moved to Covington, I got a letter in the mail instructing me to go to a govt office to enroll in one of their blackmail/thievery schemes. I called to find out exactly where they were and whether it is required that I go there in person. Of course they said I had to go there and that they were in the govt building.

When I arrived, I saw that the courthouse was in the same building, so I begrudgingly left my pistol in the truck while retaining my knife.

On to the metal detector and the "security guards"...

I don't know why I was shocked when I was told that I could not bring my knife into the building. Though I was already IN the building when stopped at the metal detector...

I told the guards that I was already uncomfortable leaving my pistol in my truck and wanted my knife with me for use as a tool and for possible self-protection. They said no joy.

I asked the guards, "who is going to protect me while I'm in the building without my gun and my knife?". They said that THEY would protect me. I looked them up and down, smiled with a slight chuckle and walked out.

When I got to my truck, I called the govt office I was "required" to visit "in person" and told them that, since I refused to waive my Constitutional rights, it was impossible for me to do business with the parish. To their credit, they admitted that I wasn't required to physically present myself at their office and we did our "business" remotely.

I know you shouldn't always judge a book by its cover but those "security guards" were no more able to protect me while I was across the building than I was able to protect them.

So...what say you? Is the prohibition against carrying in a courthouse, any/all govt offices, the entire building, or what? And, what's the deal with a knife?

Did I break the law or just some rule by entering the building with my knife?

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    yep... i once had to bring my hook back to by vehicle. it was a small fishing hook that wraped around the bill of my cap.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    The Courthouse in Covington is secured by STPSO deputies, not "security guards."

And what's this secret squirrel "business" you allude to but can't mention.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I called the govt office I was "required" to visit "in person" and told them that, since I refused to waive my Constitutional rights, it was impossible for me to do business with the parish.

pretty good answer.. "Sir, which Constitutional right were you asked to give up when you entered the building?" My reply, "The second one...."

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    The Courthouse in Covington is secured by STPSO deputies, not "security guards."

He would tell you, but then he would have to kill you.

Unless of course you were in a courthouse on the other side of a metal detector, then you would be protected from people like him by security guards.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering

No "secret squirrel" anything. I didn't mention it because I don't remember exactly ( ???homestead exemption, property tax???) and it doesn't matter to the rules of the building or to the thread.

...STPSO deputies performing security/guard duty at the Saint Tammany Parish Justice Center... Ok, that's more clear. Their situational awareness sucked and they weren't fit enough to catch a cold, IMO. If that's what other people count on for their protection, fine...not me. Just sayin'. ;-)

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I can understand why civilians arent allowed to carry inside of a courthouse. Majority of the time, its going to be for something negative, and can have great emotional stress involved. What I dont understand is how some of these courts force on-duty officers, acting on behalf of the state/parish/city in testifying to a crime that they have been involved in stopping/solving, to disarm themselves before entering the court room.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I can understand why civilians arent allowed to carry inside of a courthouse. Majority of the time, its going to be for something negative, and can have great emotional stress involved. What I dont understand is how some of these courts force on-duty officers, acting on behalf of the state/parish/city in testifying to a crime that they have been involved in stopping/solving, to disarm themselves before entering the court room.

The bailiff will protect them...

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    >>I can understand why civilians arent allowed to carry inside of a courthouse. Majority of the time, its going to be for something negative, and can have great emotional stress involved. <<

Just to be clear, the police officers/deputies/security guards are civilians, also. Unless they are in the military, they are civilians.

Yeah, I know. The police like to talk about the public as "civilians" as a way to keep up the us vs. them mental games, but that doesn't change the facts.

thorswhisper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2009
    Covington, La.
    Id be interested in knowing what possible threat inside the Justice center you were concerned about. The only people carrying inside the building are LEO. They do have a weapons locker by the metal detectors, you perhaps could have checked your weapon and had them store it there until you left. I whole heartedly agree with your concerns for for leaving your weapon unattended in your vehicle. I also understand your frustration with having to disarm yourself. If you were in charge of the security there, how would you change things?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    >>I can understand why civilians arent allowed to carry inside of a courthouse. Majority of the time, its going to be for something negative, and can have great emotional stress involved. <<

Just to be clear, the police officers/deputies/security guards are civilians, also. Unless they are in the military, they are civilians.

Yeah, I know. The police like to talk about the public as "civilians" as a way to keep up the us vs. them mental games, but that doesn't change the facts.

Maybe we should start calling them "servants".

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA

I think it has more to do with LEA being "para military", and thusly using much of the same vernacular, than it does with LEO's wanting to maintain a "us vs. them" mentality. Pretty sure most LEO would prefer if we were all on the same team since they are at great risk from it not being so. But hey, do not let that stop you from perpetuating the us vs. them mental games with your subtle comments.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

I'm sure alpinehyperlite was perpetuating a mental game with his comments :rolleyes:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I dont know what you guys are talking about. Im a frickin jedi master! I dont use words, i use mind control!

Seriously dude, its a word. There is a different status between on duty LEO and "citizens" in weapons carrying laws/policys. There I put some little quote symbols around the word citizens.... Does that make you feel better?

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    I dont know what you guys are talking about. Im a frickin jedi master! I dont use words, i use mind control!

Seriously dude, its a word. There is a different status between on duty LEO and "citizens" in weapons carrying laws/policys. There I put some little quote symbols around the word citizens.... Does that make you feel better?

You might want to check your tone sir, your speaking to a gun expert who has written books and stuff and is on the radio.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Id be interested in knowing what possible threat inside the Justice center you were concerned about. The only people carrying inside the building are LEO. They do have a weapons locker by the metal detectors, you perhaps could have checked your weapon and had them store it there until you left. I whole heartedly agree with your concerns for for leaving your weapon unattended in your vehicle. I also understand your frustration with having to disarm yourself. If you were in charge of the security there, how would you change things?

It doesn't sound like you were kidding when you asked about possible threats inside the building. It's a naive question, IMO. I'm not knocking you asking the question - because it's a legitimate question. It's just that it doesn't take much participation on this forum or reading of news reports to wise up to the possibilities.

My security plan - the Constitution of the United States of America.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom