Carry Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    In the same vein as the Home Defense Gun Thread I spoke with the folks at Ballistic Magazine about carry guns and calibers and what I choose and why. The magazine will hit news stands on May 6th but I thought I would preview my thoughts here.

I choose to carry a 9mm Semi-Auto specifically a Glock 19. In simplest terms bullets in gun equals time in fight. By carrying a high capacity pistol I am able to mitigate the in-fight mag change. If you aren't engaging targets you are out of the fight. In the last 6 years we have seen advancements in the technology of pistol cartridges. New powders and projectile designs have closed whatever lethality gaps may have exsisted between 9mm and its larger caliber competitors.

For me that 9mm Pistol is a Glock 19. The Glock 19 has proven itself all over the world for more than 2 decades to be an extraordinarily accurate and effective self-defense tool. It is small enough to carry, even in the summer, and big enough to fight with. Along with the gun I carry a spare Glock 17 mag which gives me a couple extra rounds should I have to reload, and a flashlight. The flashlight is a key and often neglected component. You cannot shoot what you cannot see. Criminal Behavior is Predator Behavior and Predators love to take advantage of the extra element of Suprise that low light can provide.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I don't think that comparison has ever been made before lol, although I do think that's where I heard small enough to carry big enough to fight with. No I use all black DeFoor Sights from Ameriglo. I have been working out the Way of the Gun Sights that Frank Proctor designed and im becoming a fan and may change soon. For ammo I do not like the all copper pistol rounds. Before the advent of Bonded JHP I think they certainly had value. At this point I think they have been surpassed by bullets like Federal's HST, The Winchester Ranger Bonded, and Speer's Bonded Gold Dots. My personal choice is the Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr that the FBI recently selected. Their evaluation of duty ammo is the gold standard and has been for years.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I recently made the change from .45 to 9mm for a higher round count and more manageable recoil. What is your opinion on night sights on a pistol? I have front and rear night sights on all of my Glocks. I also have them on my G17 with a RMR that I EDC; it seams like too many lighted dots to me at night. I'm considering front night sights only with black rear for all of my pistols. I'd like to keep my whole family of Glocks with the same sights. I'm considering just covering the rears with some paint and add a new front sight to my G43. Pros, cons?

Edit: you prefer subsonic in a defensive round?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I recently made the change from .45 to 9mm for a higher round count and more manageable recoil. What is your opinion on night sights on a pistol? I have front and rear night sights on all of my Glocks. I also have them on my G17 with a RMR that I EDC; it seams like too many lighted dots to me at night. I'm considering front night sights only with black rear for all of my pistols. I'd like to keep my whole family of Glocks with the same sights. I'm considering just covering the rears with some paint and add a new front sight to my G43. Pros, cons?

Edit: you prefer subsonic in a defensive round?
    In 9mm yes I prefer the heavier subsonic stuff. I am not a fan of night sights. I feel like they mess with daytome accuracy and offer very little utility for low light shooting. I find I am much more capable when I use my flashlight and the light spills back from it and illuminates my sights. With dot equipped pistols I agree it's too many glowing dots. I often use a paint pen to black out night sights on pistols equipped with them.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I have say, as a 1911 fan, the Gen 4 got the grip angle right. Recently shot with some serious 1911 collectors, and one is a NRA instructor, so he got a Glock to use because most students have, well, a Glock or similar gun.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Glock. Might have to get one. I do like the mag capacity.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Glock 17 or 19 AIWB
    Spare 17 rounder

Concealed carry isn't meant to be like fluffy pajamas, might as well carry the best choice.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I rotate depending on the situation:
    Most common carry: P30 Light LEM with TLR-3, .40 165 gr or 180 gr Speer Gold Dot
    Occasional carry: USPc LEM with TLR-1s, .40 165 gr or 180 gr Speer Gold Dot
    And when I need to conceal a bit deeper: P2000sk LEM, .40 180 gr Short Barrel Speer Gold Dot

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I have a few. My favorite is a JetBeam. Im not sure if the company is still around. In general I prefer the China Lights with a Cree LED to the heavier more expensive Surefire handhelds.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Concealing a 17, what's your approach and what's your normal attire look like?

This isn't me, but this is pretty much the same:

G17worninVanguard2_zps9b470f5a.jpg

No skinny jeans and sports bras for me.

When I'm not wearing a polo shirt, I'm wearing one of these: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Finley-River-Shirt-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/13102307012918/

This is a shot of when I was testing out a sheath for my EDC blade:

16479308720_2823a7332c.jpg

Buy the right belt and you won't have to worry about the weight. The belt in the picture is a cheapy Columbia belt, but I'm typically wearing an Ares Gear Ranger belt.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I carry the Glock 19 often as well. Spare mag, stock sights, stock everything. My carry ammo is Federal +p+ 115 gr jhp (9BPLE). Yes it is considered outdated, but it runs fine in my 19. It is also inexpensive and I shoot it often. Last time I bought them they cost me 18.00 after shipping... That's a 50 round box.

I don't have s tactical flashlight but probably should. I do have a small flashlight for EDC, but it doesn't have an instant on button on the tail.

I carry a Glock 20 and Colt Commander... and on ocassion, wife wife's Taurus 85... But it seems the G19 gets carried more and more over time since its purchase two years ago.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The Glock 19 is a great gun and I bought one for my daughter to carry. I actually prefer a smaller gun that is more concealable and settled on a Sig P938. While I have a healthy respect for firepower, if I end up in a prolonged gun battle, I'm probably somewhere I shouldn't be. I'm opting for concealment and reduced weight over firepower. If I'm hanging around places where I could end up in a prolonged gun battle I want an AR, body armor, lots of magazines, and a few trusted friends.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think the problem with your logic is assuming you know where bad things will happen. For example; the Al Shabab attack at the shopping mall im Narobi. The mall is inside a gated community favored by expats because it's precieved to be "safe". The reality is we have no idea when ir where we might find ourselves confronted with a violent criminal assault. Personally I think it's best to hedge your bets. I have no problem with people who make a heads up eyes open choice to
    Carry a pocket gun at the expense of capacity and fightability, they are assessing their own priorities. When you starts assuming when and where a shootout might happen to validate that decision in my opinion you are making a mistake.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Great assessment! And the Nairobi incident is a good example. But statistically, that is very unlikely to happen in the US. Nonetheless, I am right there too; carrying this 19 and a spare mag with me EVERYWHERE I go; all day; all night; and while I sleep it is near by. If you want to know the truth, it's a pain in the ass. Too bad I know it's a damn necessity.

But I also make sure that my instant alarm is set when I am about to go to bed, and I avoid places where statistically I am more likely to encounter a predator, like; driving through suspect neighborhoods, dimly lit areas, walking distances too far for comfort, just being out in public after dark in general, etc. Like choosing to play Blackjack over all other betting games, because the odds are better.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's cliché, but I'd rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Concealing a firearm, whether it be a 5 shot mouse gun or a 23 round 9mm, is completely practical. Carrying plates and an SBR daily, is not practical, unless your line of work requires it.

Example: I wear a shirt with pockets, because it's not going to cause unwanted attention. Wearing TACTICAL SUPER CARGO pants is not practical and WILL cause unwanted attention.

Top Bottom