Carry Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbodog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Tangipahoa parish
    I honestly don't think that's possible. Whether you want it to be or not it is indeed a political statement. Your openly expressing the 2A, which IMO is a good thing. You know most folks though, rarely notice an OC.er carrying a Compact or SC model pistol that's black b/c folks are used to seeing Cell Phones and other gadgets attached to peoples hips.

Hmm...well, there could be some truth in that as far as being an unintended political statement. I don't do it with the thought of "showing the flag" of the 2A, unless one considers the idea, that doing so perhaps helps to desensitize the public to the presence of firearms. But I carry concealed also and for the same reason I carry open: the continued preservation of me and mine's place in this world.

I do agree that the prevalence of devices like cell phones, PDA's, etc. contribute to a lack of public awareness to a firearm on the hip. They see what they think they see. At least from the front.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Maybe that's what I was getting at. People see an older guy OCing and they assume he's allowed. Someone younger or someone acting in a way to draw attention, then people take a harder look at the picture and decide the gun is out of place...

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I OC before I turned 21 and got my CHP and never got so much as a look from other people. I am about 5'4, 130 lbs and used to carry my Beretta 92 so I know people saw that big thing. In my opinion, if you walk around and carry on like normal, you are fine. If you walk around constantly checking to make sure it is there, acting funny, or standing around looking like you are about to rob the place then yes, you will get unwanted attention.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    It is the MAN behind the gun that matters most.

If he is an idiot, then he is a bigger idiot when he is OCing...and dangerous to all of us who benefit from 2nd amendment protections.

If he is respectable, then I and many others have no problem with his OC. Go for it.

I've had people in my place of business OC over the years. I've only had a problem one time with one of them. He had an arrogant attitude but only stayed a minute or so. If he came in again, I planned to ask him not to carry in my place. He must have just been having a bad day because, when he came in next, he had a positive attitude. I let him carry and have not had a problem with him since. None of my customers have shown any signs of discomfort when someone else is OCing in my business. None of my employees have a problem with it whatsoever.

I also will not tell anyone to refrain from participating in peaceful and respectful political OC events. You will probably not catch me there, but I won't try to stop them.

The peaceful and respectful OC rallies and events are the polar opposite of the liberal-gun hating-get rid of all guns protests. I think that we need positive public awareness to offset the pendulum swinging too far the other way. Yes, some of the OC events have been positive.

We may not OC but others that do have a right to. The reason some people are uncomfortable with the expression of that right is because fewer and fewer people are excercising that right.

Fifty years ago, the shooting sports were a family event. There were traveling shows that went from town to town doing trick shooting and educating the public about firearms. The schools had shooting teams. People went hunting and shooting regularly. Now, most people only shoot on video games at simulated humans.

We need to recapture the public's hearts and minds before we lose our rights through neglect.

If they are not against us, they are for us.

Last edited:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    A right not exercised is a right lost......................
    As soon as I retire, I'm going to get one of those Kilpatrick gunbelts and start OC'ing all the time.
    I look pretty much like the benign grandfather that I am and do not anticipate any problems here in LA.
    I'll have the time to patiently explain the situation, then.
    leVieux

Top Bottom