Carrying a Concealed Weapon At a Parade as a Spectator w/a Concealed Handgun Permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    His replacement is Sgt. King and the CHP Unit has not changed their tune. The answer is still the same. In a parade NO. At a parade YES.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    So, they make up the laws now? The state police all of a sudden changed their tune from a couple of months ago?
    Just how they are interpreting the written word.
    What happened to Sgt. Reavis?
    Colonel Michael Edmonson: "Some earlier thoughts with Clay Reavis on that earlier on, but it was been clarified and it's exactly what the chief(Serpas) stated, and we will be working that area."

Caller: "So Sgt Reavis was incorrect then ?"

Colonel Michael Edmonson: "He was incorrect at that time, yes."

:)

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    His replacement is Sgt. King and the CHP Unit has not changed their tune. The answer is still the same. In a parade NO. At a parade YES.

Good to hear.

I just shot an email to Wyndie, not regarding this, but my permit. Sgt. Reavis told me to put "See Sgt. Reavis" as a reference to the answer to one of the questions on the renewal app, this was just a few months ago. From my time talking to Sgt. Reavis he was very pro-citizen carry.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Whoa, hold on there, buckaroo! POTUS Obama and A.G. Eric Holder came down to NOLA last fall, to spray $7-million of tax-payer money throughout the NOPD, to clean up the top-to-bottom corruption. Are you seriously trying to say that it didn't work?? I find that very difficult to believe, and besides, I thought money fixes everything... ;)
    Wouldn't be the first time Obama threw money at a lost cause.
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/22/news/economy/obama-energy-bankruptcies/index.html

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I have first hand experience with this from a different view.

For several years I drove my POV (one ton dually) to pull the largest float in a Mardi Gras parade in Shreveport. It was about a six mile trip but took all day of my time. All the other floats were pulled by trucks owned by a car dealership.

All the drivers were checked for intoxication twice during the parade. Once before the start of the parade and once at the half way point. Any odor of alcohol or indication from the portable tester would immediately take the driver out of the parade.

I was POST certified and could carry. I also had a CCW from LA. Yet, I was advised prior to each parade that I could NOT have a firearm on my person, in my vehicle or on any passenger in the vehicle. This advisory came before the start of each parade I drove in for five years. During the first parade, I had to call a friend to come get my weapon.

Was the advisory correct? I do not know. Having been told that the law says "any parade for which a permit is required" would cover a large area such as spectators, participants or even those working in some other capacity around the parade. I have not seen any 1,000 ft rule either.

Now I avoid crowds anyway. I do not go to the parades.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    As of this morning, the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Unit maintains that it is legal for CHP holders to carry AT a parade. Also, the vague reference to the 1000ft law referenced on WWL only outlaws criminally negligent discharge of a firearm within 1000 feet of a parade, it does not outlaw open carry and it specifically excludes CHP holders from the law. I didn't contact the CHP office for this issue, but while in contact with them I thought I would ask. They are still awesome even with Reavis gone, they haven't missed a beat. I sure would like to know where Sgt Reavis ended up, he was a great guy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    On what grounds are they dismissing State Law?

As of this morning, the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Unit maintains that it is legal for CHP holders to carry AT a parade. Also, the vague reference to the 1000ft law referenced on WWL only outlaws criminally negligent discharge of a firearm within 1000 feet of a parade, it does not outlaw open carry and it specifically excludes CHP holders from the law. I didn't contact the CHP office for this issue, but while in contact with them I thought I would ask. They are still awesome even with Reavis gone, they haven't missed a beat. I sure would like to know where Sgt Reavis ended up, he was a great guy.

I still want to know why they would be saying, "You will be arrested?" For CC AT a parade or not? Did I miss something?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

As I said earlier same reply when Sgt. Reavis was there and now that Sgt. King is there.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I listened to it again! Yep! No reason to worry about the vagueness of that particular issue, Ronald Serpas has all the answers.

And Colonel Edmonson is "Lockstep" with him on it. :ugh:

This is insane!

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I thought New Orleans City Council passed ordinances against carrying weapons concealed or not on a parade route..

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me..

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I thought New Orleans City Council passed ordinances against carrying weapons concealed or not on a parade route..

I'm sure someone will come along and correct me..

That may be true, but how can that supercede "State" law? And listening to that audio, they don't sound as if they are too sure themselves. But one thing is for sure, as stated earlier; you are going to take the ride. And during Mardi Gras, you will be there for quite some time while they sort it out for you.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    That may be true, but how can that supercede "State" law? And listening to that audio, they don't sound as if they are too sure themselves. But one thing is for sure, as stated earlier; you are going to take the ride. And during Mardi Gras, you will be there for quite some time while they sort it out for you.

10 4... You're right.. You will take a ride for sure.. I thought state law prohibits carrying concealed at demonstrations, protests, large gatherings, parades etc...

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I don't get it. If they say they are going to arrest you then they are going to arrest you. Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. They can do whatever they want. If you get made while trying to bend over to pick up some beads, NOTHING you say will convince an NOPD officer that he shouldn't take you in. You will probably never get the gun back either.

Remember when NOPD went door to door confiscating people's guns?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I don't get it. If they say they are going to arrest you then they are going to arrest you. Doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. They can do whatever they want. If you get made while trying to bend over to pick up some beads, NOTHING you say will convince an NOPD officer that he shouldn't take you in. You will probably never get the gun back either.

Remember when NOPD went door to door confiscating people's guns?

This^ is a big Constituional problem for me! I wonder where all the internet dojo chest thumpers and keyboard Barristers are?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    You can't take back time. Yes you may be arrested, and you can't change or retrieve that inconvenience. You can, if you wish to be further inconvenienced, hire a lawyer, and pursue punitive action against the PD, but that's it. Some do, and for that they get varying results.. like enough for a motorcycle.

Justice can take a long time, sometimes, too. A lot of the Katrina crap only saw court resolution 5-6 years later. I'm guessing some is still 'in the air'.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You can't take back time. Yes you may be arrested, and you can't change or retrieve that inconvenience. You can, if you wish to be further inconvenienced, hire a lawyer, and pursue punitive action against the PD, but that's it. Some do, and for that they get varying results.. like enough for a motorcycle.

Justice can take a long time, sometimes, too. A lot of the Katrina crap only saw court resolution 5-6 years later. I'm guessing some is still 'in the air'.

I don't want to be arrested unless I BROKE THE LAW! I don't want to take the ride UNLESS I BROKE THE LAW! I want to KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE LAW IS AND FOLLOW IT OR NOT! I do not want to hear some authority tell me what they want me to believe the law says, only to have some one in the field, let me find out after I get out of jail!

This should have all of you (at least those that CC), on the brink of aneurism. This is insane!

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    So you want the cops to be the judges too?

You /want/ to not be arrested unless you broke a law... yea, well, wish in one hand and **** in the other.

Top Bottom