Carrying after expiration?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I submitted my renewal yesterday, and was telling the woman at the counter that I wasn't looking forward to the probably "down time" I will have (my current permit expires on the 28th and I don't think the new one will get in before then). What surprised me was that she said that I could still carry for 60 days after my permit expired. I was like "really?" and she said yes, that if they call it in or whatever it will come up as "renewal pending" and I will be ok.

I've poured over the statutes and can't find anything in them about authorizing carrying for 60 days after expiration. Has anyone heard anything like this before? Is this just one of those things that isn't written in the law but is the de facto practice of the state police?

Needless to say I'm hesitant to take the woman's word for it. Reliance on the statement of an administrative worker is not a valid defense.

Bryan

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2007
    Hammond, LA
    I got my new one in less than two weeks when I renewed. Hopefully yours will be quick.

It says on the LSP website

"You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints."

Maybe this is where she is getting the 60 days from.

edited for spelling

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I got my new one in less than two weeks when I renewed. Hopefully yours will be quick.

It says on the LSP website

"You must submit your application within 60 days after the expiration date or you will be required to submit a new original application including fingerprints."

Maybe this is where she is getting the 60 days from.

edited for spelling

That's what I was thinking. I don't know if I will take her word for it. I guess I'll just tell my roommate who has a permit to go to the store with me, then I'll just draw my gun from his pants. :ghey:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Q. My permit is going to expire. What do I need to do to keep my permit valid?

A. Permit holders will be notified in writing at their address of record (keep this updated at all times), approximately 120 days prior to the expiration of the permit.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I woukd carry her name and number in my wallet until the new card came in. Any problems, have them call her. I don't see any officer faulting you for taking the word of an LSP employee.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That sure sounds like something they would spell out on the website if it were policy.....

Then again- it's still the State. :thumbsup:

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I dealt with this earlier this year. You cannot LEGALLY carry concealed after the expiration date on your card. You have 60 days after expiration to renew as a renewal and not a completely new applicant. I had someone at LSP tell me the same thing as you. Then my CC instructor told me the correct rules. After that I called LSP again and they explained it correctly this time. That being said, I have talked to several LEO's and they all said that if you are within a couple months, your renewal app has been sent in and there is nothing new on your record that would likely result in being denied your permit, you would have had to do something to really **** them off to be cited.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I woukd carry her name and number in my wallet until the new card came in. Any problems, have them call her. I don't see any officer faulting you for taking the word of an LSP employee.

I can see a problem she's just a state employee giving out bad info. Look at how many real LEO's that don't know our gun laws.
    Doesn't it say that your CHP is valid when it comes up on your DL? If it's expired then it might show up as expired or not valid. Then you could be up **** creek.
    Maybe on of our LEO's on here can tell us what it says on your DL

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I can see a problem she's just a state employee giving out bad info. Look at how many real LEO's that don't know our gun laws.
    Doesn't it say that your CHP is valid when it comes up on your DL? If it's expired then it might show up as expired or not valid. Then you could be up **** creek.
    Maybe on of our LEO's on here can tell us what it says on your DL

Oh I agree they *could* cause trouble, I just doubt they *would*. Realistically, you pull over a regular Joe who is polite and compliant who is carrying a gun with an expired CHP. He apologizes and explains that he sent in his renewal paperwork, and is only carrying based on info given to him by someone in the LSP permit office. I can't imagine any officer causing **** over that.

That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to attempt that either. The solution is...get your renewal done on time so you don't have this issue.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    She is dead wrong, IMO, or perhaps you misunderstood her. Several years ago the CCW section got behind due to some personnel issues and a surge in applications. This caused one of my students to go past his expiration date so I called the section on his hehalf and they said that it would be absoutely illegal for him to carry concealed until he got his new permit, no exceptions. And I can find nothing that would indicate anything different. I would not chance it.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I dealt with this earlier this year. You cannot LEGALLY carry concealed after the expiration date on your card. You have 60 days after expiration to renew as a renewal and not a completely new applicant. I had someone at LSP tell me the same thing as you. Then my CC instructor told me the correct rules. After that I called LSP again and they explained it correctly this time. That being said, I have talked to several LEO's and they all said that if you are within a couple months, your renewal app has been sent in and there is nothing new on your record that would likely result in being denied your permit, you would have had to do something to really **** them off to be cited.

Would you really want your fate in someone else's hands like that?

Especially when you know there are some that are anti-gun for citizens.

Top Bottom