Carrying in knapsack or briefcase

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexi_Can116

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    I am trying to figure out if I'm carrying a firearm ( pistol,sbr,sbs etc.) In a schoolbag or breifcase knapsack or whatever is that carrying concealed or is that legal .
    Let's say I'm walking downtown somewhere say from a parking lot to my condo and I have my pistol in a bag and I get detained for w/e reason is it legal to carry in that situation?or what about if I'm carrying in its case inside a knapsack or briefcase ? I would like everyone to chime in on this with you're thoughts or firsthand experience.
    Thanx

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    From what I've been told, if you are carrying between your vehicle and your residence, or from your vehicle to somewhere you will be using the firearms (shooting range), then you can have the gun in a bag/case/etc... If you plan to be just walking around with a gun inside of ANYTHING you need a CHP.

If approached by an officer, I would advise being very upfront with the firearms whereabouts AND what business you have with the gun in the bag in the first place (for example: Officer, I have a gun in my bag, I just got home from the shooting range, and I am bringing it back inside my home.)

Also, I am pretty sure it is illegal to carry ANY NFA items concealed, even with a CHP, but I am pretty sure it is not illegal to have them protected from the elements and/or prying eyes when transporting them from a vehicle to your residence.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Check out the FAQ in my sig line. I explain it at legth through a few different scenarios.

Generally speaking, to anf from your vehicle and your home, from vehicle to range, and similar situations are not considered illegal carrying of a firearm for most purposes in most places.

Otherwise, simply walking around town with it would my most definitions fall under concealed carry of a firearm since it is by extension on your person the same as a women with a purse.

Remember, there are no clear cut answers and simply a proponderance of the individual situation and the people, places, and facts involved.

Hope this helps.

#20 will get you started. Read LA RS 14:95 from the provided link, and that should close the loop as much as it can be closed for this kind of situation.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom