Carrying in Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    From the LSP website it state's

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

To me there is a difference between INTO a private RESIDENCE and what you said ON the neighbor's property.
    Did I miss something written somewhere else?

TAG!!! Your it. i tried.

Pass%20the%20Baton.jpg

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    i have never had a person walk on any charges I have filed. That is because I only arrest people based on probable cause of guilt and I write my reports well and include all facts and witness statements.

If that statement is true then you haven't arrested very many people.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Uhoh......is Oldman 45 a ringer brought in by MEM.....

Follow the money

Your home is an extension of your car

LOL...........NOT a serious post....funny ramblings in Dawgs head

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ya gotta love it when the NOLERCOPPER starts speaking the Gospel,lol.

New Question ... Is it Legal to Pistol Whip an LEO in the Line of Duty? and if so, when, and if not, why?

Gee i can't wait to hear on this,lol.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Let me try to clear this up.

14:95 clearly does not exempt carry in your home or car.

From memory, in 1982 when I was studying criminal law in law school, the only issue with concealed carry was in public. I can't say for sure without researching it. People who have 'years of experience' may remember things the way they were taught, and things may have changed.

This is why an attorney almost never relies just on memory, but will do current research before rendering legal advice or preparing arguments. Part of this research is looking at how courts have previously interpreted the law, and thus there is more to the law than just reading the statutes.

And also, even after doing the research, reasonable minds often can and do disagree. That is why there is litigation, with attorneys on both sides arguing their point of view.

When I discuss a legal issue online, I try to give the best opinion I can based on a simple reading of the statute in question. I am giving my opinion, not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists. If you want a more definitive answer, then you will need to hire (and generally pay) an attorney to do the thorough research necessary to render an informed opinion. A good attorney will inform you of the issues and arguments on both sides of the issues. He cannot guarantee results.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Let me try to clear this up.

14:95 clearly does not exempt carry in your home or car.

From memory, in 1982 when I was studying criminal law in law school, the only issue with concealed carry was in public. I can't say for sure without researching it. People who have 'years of experience' may remember things the way they were taught, and things may have changed.

This is why an attorney almost never relies just on memory, but will do current research before rendering legal advice or preparing arguments. Part of this research is looking at how courts have previously interpreted the law, and thus there is more to the law than just reading the statutes.

And also, even after doing the research, reasonable minds often can and do disagree. That is why there is litigation, with attorneys on both sides arguing their point of view.

When I discuss a legal issue online, I try to give the best opinion I can based on a simple reading of the statute in question. I am giving my opinion, not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists. If you want a more definitive answer, then you will need to hire (and generally pay) an attorney to do the thorough research necessary to render an informed opinion. A good attorney will inform you of the issues and arguments on both sides of the issues. He cannot guarantee results.

Beautiful...those parts especially.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Wow. This is interesting, albeit confusing.

I wouldn't worry about any of this, it is only a matter of time before the libs either outlaw guns altogether, or drive the ammunition prices so high that it would be cheaper to buy a new car than fire two shots to stop a carjacking.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Wow. This is interesting, albeit confusing.

I wouldn't worry about any of this, it is only a matter of time before the libs either outlaw guns altogether (revolution and independence), or drive the ammunition prices so high that it would be cheaper to buy a new car than fire two shots to stop a carjacking. (why most of us reload )

:D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Ok, opinions on this please.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong- because I'm operating strictly on memory.

The law states that you CAN have a firearm(s) in your vehicle on a college campus AS LONG AS IT IS CONTAINED ENTIRELY WITHIN THE VEHICLE, agreed? It states that this is constitutionally protected activity. They mention nothing about the gun having to be unloaded, or loaded magazines having to be removed, etc- and in my opinion- SHOULDN'T mention it....

The LA Dept of Wildlife & Fisheries now allows you to have guns in your vehicle- as long as the guns are unloaded, including not attaching loaded magazines to the weapon- which makes the weapon "loaded", according to them:doh:. Isn't this really no different that the laws we all laugh at involving Washington DC and other areas that require storing guns and ammo separately? How are you expected to defend yourself with an unloaded weapon???:confused:
    I commend the Dept's decisions involving POST-certified individuals & CHP holders, I really do. But if the ultimate goal really was giving people a better chance of defending themselves, why do they keep such rules in place?

I know. I need to ask them. Sorry for the rant, but what do you think?? :dunno:

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The reasoning behind most of what you mentioned actually comes from the Safety Standards from the NRA Book, the main words that you will find in most of those rules or laws will be "unloaded" and "secured"

Are they practical ?????? You, me and many others now that its absurd but most Politicians are not and will never be shooters so they follow the advise that gives them the least liability and chances of getting into a law suit, at the same time it is part of the responsability that we all take as gun owners to face the consequences of our acts.

And that is why many states have criminal negligence laws that can be applied to gun owners who do not take reasonable precautions in storing firearms and ammunition, the main goal is to prevent an accidental shooting against a child or untrained person, as well as preventing criminals from heaving access to the firearm and then using it as a tool in a crime.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The reasoning behind most of what you mentioned actually comes from the Safety Standards from the NRA Book, the main words that you will find in most of those rules or laws will be "unloaded" and "secured"

Are they practical ?????? You, me and many others now that its absurd but most Politicians are not and will never be shooters so they follow the advise that gives them the least liability and chances of getting into a law suit, at the same time it is part of the responsability that we all take as gun owners to face the consequences of our acts.

And that is why many states have criminal negligence laws that can be applied to gun owners who do not take reasonable precautions in storing firearms and ammunition, the main goal is to prevent an accidental shooting against a child or untrained person, as well as preventing criminals from heaving access to the firearm and then using it as a tool in a crime.

But would liability really be the reason for them leaving the "unloaded weapon" rules in place on a WMA? I mean, after all, literally thousands of people walk around with loaded weapons during hunting season on these lands anyway. I just don't see where having a loaded weapon in your truck would make that big a difference.

I'm sure it somehow comes back to the issue of some jackass shooting from a vehicle, or something of that nature. Perhaps another case of the good having to suffer for the bad in society....:mad:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    But would liability really be the reason for them leaving the "unloaded weapon" rules in place on a WMA? I mean, after all, literally thousands of people walk around with loaded weapons during hunting season on these lands anyway. I just don't see where having a loaded weapon in your truck would make that big a difference.

I'm sure it somehow comes back to the issue of some jackass shooting from a vehicle, or something of that nature. Perhaps another case of the good having to suffer for the bad in society....:mad:[
    /QUOTE]

Not up to speed on LDWF laws, but this sounds like a winner.:wtc:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Does LRS 14:94 sound about what you talking about? Section E

Well, kinda sorta. In the eyes of the LDWF, I'm sure they'd likely use the arguement about people shooting at wildlife from vehicles on WMAs- which some will do anyway regardless of any law that says they can't.

IIRC, in a past interview, a member of LDWF enforcement used that arguement to justify prohibiting CHP holders from carrying on WMAs, saying that people were shooting alligators while fishing. :rolleyes: People who pull that kind of crap blanket-label the rest of us as irresponsible morons who can't be trusted. An ass-kicking would be in order....:mad:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, kinda sorta. In the eyes of the LDWF, I'm sure they'd likely use the arguement about people shooting at wildlife from vehicles on WMAs- which some will do anyway regardless of any law that says they can't.

IIRC, in a past interview, a member of LDWF enforcement used that arguement to justify prohibiting CHP holders from carrying on WMAs, saying that people were shooting alligators while fishing. :rolleyes: People who pull that kind of crap blanket-label the rest of us as irresponsible morons who can't be trusted. An ass-kicking would be in order....:mad:

Yep, like people who shoot at rod signs.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Yep, like people who shoot at rod signs.

Bingo.

Anyway, I plan on testing the CHP law this weekend at Red River WMA. I was told by an enforcement Capt. out of Alexandria that everyone has "gotten the word" about the CHP / POST rule changes.

If I run into any agents while there, I'll let you all know how things turn out- providing I don't wind up in the slammer. :doh: :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Bingo.

Anyway, I plan on testing the CHP law this weekend at Red River WMA. I was told by an enforcement Capt. out of Alexandria that everyone has "gotten the word" about the CHP / POST rule changes.

If I run into any agents while there, I'll let you all know how things turn out- providing I don't wind up in the slammer. :doh: :D

You gonna you tube it????????? Just so we can share the experience 2 u know :mamoru:!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mike933
    Top Bottom