Carrying OTF knives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I searched the interwebs and found that OTF knives are legal here but concealed carry permits do not cover OTF knives. So what the scoop on carrying auto knives in La?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    carry what you want in your pocket bro... i think you reading to deep into it for me,i think all knives have to be open carried, prob have a % that must be visible like the clip and some of the knife...... but im sure they will come with official law that says you cant...

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    So legal to own but cant carry it in your pocket
    "cant get caught" lol... im not LE, but i would doubt any LE would attempt to make a case against you with a knife in your pocket unless you did something really wrong and they were trying to stack the charges... Any time LE ever asked do i have any wepons, knives or anything in my pocket id say yea a pocked knife they just said ok...

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I am not a lawyer, I am a police officer, but I obviously do not speak for all police officers. In nearly 24 years, I've charged exactly ONE person who was carrying a switchblade, and it was because he was also carrying a loaded pistol, and brass knuckles, while drunk in a bar, bragging to a stranger about how he was carrying all such items. The stranger happened to be an off-duty deputy who called us. Other than that, I've never cared what kind of knife anyone was carrying, or even how they were carrying it, only what they were doing with it, and I've never had to have an argument of philosophical difference on the issue with any other police officers I've worked with.

Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I’m also law enforcement and I carry automatic knives and assisted knives and I personally would never care what anyone carried. To me the Second Amendment is important along with the entire Constitution and Bill of Rights. As long as that said someone is minding their own business and acting in a respectful manner to the public around them and not endangering them who cares. I would probably be more inclined to check out something that I have never seen before, unlike some younger gung ho or scared officers.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Do not carry in NOLA. I had a buck knife stolen from me by NOPD. Cops saw the clip on my pocket and stopped me. My choice was to give him the knife or get arrested for an illegal weapon.

noahvale

shootist
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Redstick
    My knife is a tool, not a weapon. I used to do a lot of work at Angola as an electrician. At the gate I was always asked if I had any weapons. I always stated that I had several knives including the one in my pocket and they were all tools I used in my work. They always told me to just keep them locked up or on my person and no problem. My ex-boss was searched and they found a single 30-06 shell under the seat of his truck. They almost locked him up!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do not carry in NOLA. I had a buck knife stolen from me by NOPD. Cops saw the clip on my pocket and stopped me. My choice was to give him the knife or get arrested for an illegal weapon.

I'm going to speculate here. If he saw the clip, he was likely not in his vehicle. The only areas in New Orleans with a routine foot patrol is the French Quarter, specifically Bourbon St. Every part of Bourbon St, and most of the French Quarter, is covered by surveillance cameras. If it happened on Bourbon, it would have been captured. If you filed a complaint with the Public Integrity Bureau, PIB would have certainly investigated the incident. If it was in an area covered by surveillance cameras, they would have gotten the video and would have taken action. Would you be interested in sharing more specifics regarding the alleged theft? Maybe context and location.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I searched the interwebs and found that OTF knives are legal here but concealed carry permits do not cover OTF knives. So what the scoop on carrying auto knives in La?

During Mardi Gras, Every cop in New Orleans could keep themselves busy arresting people for public intoxication. But there are very few such arrests. As long as everyone is doing good, there's no need for those arrest. It's only the people who put the cops in a position where the cops must do something (pissing in public, slapping a police horse, throwing a glass bottle at the ground and breaking it). A pocket knife is generally treated in a similar way.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I'm going to speculate here. If he saw the clip, he was likely not in his vehicle. The only areas in New Orleans with a routine foot patrol is the French Quarter, specifically Bourbon St. Every part of Bourbon St, and most of the French Quarter, is covered by surveillance cameras. If it happened on Bourbon, it would have been captured. If you filed a complaint with the Public Integrity Bureau, PIB would have certainly investigated the incident. If it was in an area covered by surveillance cameras, they would have gotten the video and would have taken action. Would you be interested in sharing more specifics regarding the alleged theft? Maybe context and location.
    Corner of Iberville Street & Burgundy Street, On Block off Canal. Night before easter 2002. Maybe 2003. Can not remember. I was told New Orleans has their laws based on knife size and what is legal in the rest of the state is illegal in New Orleans.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Corner of Iberville Street & Burgundy Street, On Block off Canal. Night before easter 2002. Maybe 2003. Can not remember. I was told New Orleans has their laws based on knife size and what is legal in the rest of the state is illegal in New Orleans.

And you're saying that a cop was just walking by, saw the knife, stopped you, then threatened you and took the knife? And you were just walking down the street without impairment? And you elected to not pursue the incident further?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    And you're saying that a cop was just walking by, saw the knife, stopped you, then threatened you and took the knife? And you were just walking down the street without impairment? And you elected to not pursue the incident further?
    I was walking down the street with a group of people. I did not see the officer. He came out of no where. I was taught since a child to not mess with NOPD. That they are criminals. My interactions with them has not done anything to make me think otherwise.

Apparently police are trained to look for pocket knives. I had the same thing happen at disney walking in the parking lot headed to the gate. But in this incident the officer kindly notified me and I went back to my car to put it up. Sticking a clip knife to the inside of my pocket is like second nature to me and I forget often that I should not have it.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    This one of the reasons that my EDC knife usually cost less than $30.00... if lost or some reason confiscated then it can be easily replaced........ Once in NOLA at the VA Hospital getting of a elevator a Federal Police officer who had rode the elevator with us politely leaned over and whispered to take the knife on the pocket clip and place it inside my pocket so it could not be see by others... I immedately thanked him and complied.... Could have went a lot worse because of being federal property where guns/knives/weapons not allowed on property.. ......................................... drill sgt.

Top Bottom