Cartridge brass cleaner/polish preference

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    Which cartridge brass cleaner/polish do you prefer for use in your tumbler with ground walnut shells and ground corn cob? Why? Which ones are better for performance and endurance? Which ones work & which ones don't? Midway's, Dillon's, some other commercial potion?

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I use Berry's, huge bottle last long time. I also put a used dryer softner sheet torn in half with it, it helps collect some of the dust and contaminants and media last longer.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    My buddy Barney88pdc converted me to Iosso without even trying...one look at his gleaming cases and I was hooked. I like shiny brass...at the brass table after matches I generally can spot mine before I even see my Sharpie stripe on the base...if it's that shiny with a smudge of burnt Titegroup at the mouth, it's gotta be mine :cool:

I generally add a capful of paint thinner, as well, to the mix when I tumble.

FTRrookie

Freedom Not Free Stuff
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Houma, la
    My buddy Barney88pdc converted me to Iosso without even trying...one look at his gleaming cases and I was hooked. I like shiny brass...at the brass table after matches I generally can spot mine before I even see my Sharpie stripe on the base...if it's that shiny with a smudge of burnt Titegroup at the mouth, it's gotta be mine :cool:

I generally add a capful of paint thinner, as well, to the mix when I tumble.

What does the paint thinner do? And oh yeah, What is Iosso? Googled it and came up dry

Last edited:

leeshall

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Suburban NOLA
    A note to SMITH625 (and the rest of you are encouaged to chime in here), it's really a bad, bad, BAD idea to use Brasso on cartridge brass. The ammonia in Brasso will chemically attack & weaken cartridge brass.

ForrestB

Wife Shoots Also
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Luling, La.
    A note to SMITH625 (and the rest of you are encouaged to chime in here), it's really a bad, bad, BAD idea to use Brasso on cartridge brass. The ammonia in Brasso will chemically attack & weaken cartridge brass.

Been using Brasso for many years and never had any problems.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

May be true with high pressure rifle rounds but I think it's a non-issue with pistol ammo. There won't be enough ammonia in a cap full to hurt much of anything and the Brasso should be applied to just the media and the tumbler run til no clumps are visible. Tumble brass in the mixture until your desired shine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom