CASH-STRAPPED NOLA MONEY MGMT ALA LATOYA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Traffic Cam Ticket Revenue
    Hate those damned things! Latoya's campaign and subsequent statements on removal ... then switching to revising ... traffic cam policies? The reason for reneging (can one "renege" on a lie?) was to improve "safety" ... B...S... ! Traffic cam tickets are one of the few revenue sources left to flight-ridden N.O. - albeit it being a revenue-shared one.

I recently received a $ 110.00 citation for speeding on Canal St., in front of Warren Easton (no school in session) - but that's not the point of this rant.

The citation was processed and mailed from Tempe, Arizona. The payment is to be mailed to a Seattle, Washington P. O. Box, labelled
    "City of New Orleans Photo Safety Program". Are there no N.O. PO boxes or city departments, or local vendors capable of rendering these info gathering, billing and collection services - to keep ALL of the funds circulating in the local economy? What is the logic behind this setup?

I confess to having no experience or knowledge in the cost efficiencies of dealing with mega-mass mailing and mega-internet banking services, or of leasing, or other financial arrangement, for operation of speciallized surveillance systems. Maybe it's a best value "package deal". Or ... maybe ... given possible suspicion of some N. O. favorites' alleged hand-in-the-cookiejar personal funding activities, it was a responsible decision to get a much higher percentage of the proeeds into the N. O. income column.

Just asking.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Arent traffic cams privatley owned and the state is given a portion of the profit?
    This.
    I have an outstanding unpaid photo enforcement citation that’s about 6-8 years old now. One of those roadside money grabbers. They sent a couple threatening letters and gave up. Amazingly enough, not a blemish on my credit report or driving record. There’s also one from NOLA that was a car I sold years ago. That one was the new owner at the time running a red light. I sent a copy of the bill of sale in the payment envelope with a nice little note explaining and closing with, ‘better luck next time sucker’. They never replied.
    I’d intended to remove the plate before the sale and, being in a rush between night shifts, I neglected to grab it. Lesson learned. Don’t take this as advice to ignore these tickets. Deciding where to make a stand is a personal choice with personal consequences. I’m not advocating for anyone to jeopardize their credit score or freedom.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Someone in the know explained this to me a while back.
    The way the city got around the system is making it a civil penalty instead of a criminal one. So they have one year to "serve" you, or provide proof of service, of the violation. What he explained to me is that they send you a letter with a video link attached. The link is specific to the letter you received and the moment you enter it on the computer and watch the video, you are served and liable to render payment for the violation. They will also snail mail you violation letters, and also physically serve you. If a year has expired and you havent been served (he just doesnt answer the door for unknown people, or talk to someone unknown who approaches him), then the ticket is thrown out of civil court.

I have no idea the validity of this, but thats his method. And he also uses a lenticular lens plate cover to prevent the cameras from seeing the plate. (doesnt matter with the new AI based systems that can identify the car, the color, and then whatever part of the plate is visible and narrow it down)

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I have never paid any of the camera tickets I have gotten in any parish.... Never been on my credit report, driving record or anything connected to me at all.. They keep sending the letters and I keep tossing them in the trash.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Y'all just jealous.

Y'all know that first class overseas airline tickets aren't cheap. And gotta pay for those extravagant suites in world class hotels for da mayor and her beau.
    And gotta pay the cable tv bill in that French Quarter Apartment,

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    Y'all just jealous.

Y'all know that first class overseas airline tickets aren't cheap. And gotta pay for those extravagant suites in world class hotels for da mayor and her beau.
    And gotta pay the cable tv bill in that French Quarter Apartment,
    Das right! Shoulda realized ... we all gotta pay our fare share if we not among da favrits.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I only go to NOLA to catch a flight or bring someone to or pick up someone at the airport. Nothing else for me there.
    That's even better, you aren't even in NO for the airport, just Kenner. I almost never go to the city either, when I do I make it as short a trip as possible.

T-Rigger

T-Rigger
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 25, 2019
    Metairie, LA
    My Grandson got married about 2 months ago. Wedding party, relatives and friends from all over, and locals, stayed at the Westin downtown. In addition to the exorbitant room rate, had to pay $35 per night to park car in their garage.

Sitting in the 11th floor lobby cocktail lounge with local family and friends, looking over the Mississippi's turn downstream of the bridge and the stream of river traffic, and the French Quarter, I was taken by grandeur of the panoramic view.
    I remarked - New Orleans is a beautiful city ... from up here, away from the trash and violence.

I somehow felt like we were at the posh gala of the "ins" in the movie Dr. Zhivago just before all hell broke loose.

Several minutes later, we were joined by relatives from Jackson, MS. My bro-in-law, a frequent visitor to NO for business - and the cuisine - walked to the glass and said -" ...from up here looking out at the city, you'd think there's not a thing to worry about...".

We both remember NOLA from the late 60's, the 70's and into the 80's. It was far from perfect, but far better than today. What happened to the city to fall so far, so fast is shameful.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If you find a spot where its nice, look the other direction.. You will be reminded of its mess soon enough.. I like the history of it, to walk the same roads that some famous authors have, or even some amazing folks in general. But, for all that is historic, its a damned mess..
    BTW< I mean the same roads, like they have never improved them.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I have never paid any of these in my entire life. I live in Orleans Parish and park in a driveway, so they can't boot my car or tow it unless I park on city property.
    The truck that scans license plates can only track the plates linked to the violations. If you get a new plate, the violations are not transferred to your new car, or the same car if you get a new plate.
    I know someone who went to a title place and got a "Saints World Champions" plate to replace his old plate. After that, the city was unable to find his car and tow or boot it for dozens of unpaid parking tickets and camera fines.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If you find a spot where its nice, look the other direction.. You will be reminded of its mess soon enough.. I like the history of it, to walk the same roads that some famous authors have, or even some amazing folks in general. But, for all that is historic, its a damned mess..
    BTW< I mean the same roads, like they have never improved them.
    My neighborhood in Lakeview/Gentility is super quiet. Of course it does help if you are not walking distance from any convenience stores and there's no random foot traffic on your street. The street itself is not exactly pristine, but I don't speed, so not a problem.

We did move from Mid-City though after a series of shootings within a couple blocks of our house. The ballistic shield to the left of our front door which covered the couch and sleeping areas was not reason enough to stay there according to my Wife.
    The same ballistic shield now covers the sleeping areas of our new house, but I doubt we need that now.

IlivnDaBoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    SHREVEPORT
    They have them in Shreveport now in school zones. My son picked up his younger brother from school one day a was speeding and I got the ticket. Was so mad that forgot to let them know I wasn't the driver and paid it. Took the money right back out of my son's account. He wasn't happy but I told him if you don't want to pay me then don't drive the car. He quickly calmed down.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I had to drive down to English Turn a few weeks ago . The directions I had been given were bad . Traffic was terrible both ways . I hope it's a long time before I go back .

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    I had to drive down to English Turn a few weeks ago . The directions I had been given were bad . Traffic was terrible both ways . I hope it's a long time before I go back .
    there are only two ways, that i know of, to get to english turn. Both pretty straight forward. Depending on the time the traffic could be bad but that's with any city.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    there are only two ways, that i know of, to get to english turn. Both pretty straight forward. Depending on the time the traffic could be bad but that's with any city.
    But I'm not familiar with N.O. and the directions I was given were terrible . I left there at about 3 pm and traffic was gridlock for no apparent reason I could see .

Top Bottom