CB Radios

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wagon_Master

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    So just wondering who here is into CB or ham. Just recently got into CB and really enjoy it. Would love to get into HAM but soooo expensive, CB will have to do for now.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I have a CB in my vehicle. It has it's benefits in several ways. Even with the 100 watt kicker, range is limited but still useful.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I have had Cbs for over 40 years, but currently have none, I think with the peak of the sun spots and solar flares they are almost useless right now. These flares run in 11 year cycles and right now is the worst.

diat150

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    opelousas
    cell phones have destroyed the cb. I used to talk on the cb about 15-ish years ago and many regular citizens had them and talked on them. Made some good friends and met some cool people. Just recently I picked up another set just to see what was going on and it was dead. You might find a trucker or two to talk with but for the most part the cb is just a noisemaker.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Old time CBer, still have one in my car for highway driving.
    Ham radio here since 1995. KC5SAS, General class. Active on VHF and HF. Dabble with Amateur Television. I curently Serve as R.A.C.E.S. officer for Iberville Parish EOC/LEPC.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I was into CB's when I was a kid. I don't think anyone uses them much anymore. Those who are still in to that sort of thing all use HAM, I think.
    CB's can do more than people realize, though. I'll never forget the day my uncle taught me what a moon bounce was. With his powerful directional antenna, we were able to bounce a signal all the way to Australia. That was about 14 years ago, though.

JamesBlake

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    I'm on CB in my pov, but it's very quiet compared to 15 yrs ago. Some people I know have it and some times we use them on deer drives.

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Some used Ham equipment isn't that expensive.... a used 2m mobile radio can be had cheap.

Gus is right, it's not that much more than CB ; Ham 2meter or 440 mobile radios, i'm an Extra class lincense ham since the 80's. used to be really into it but now i just do 2meter band, it's a good band to keep in touch with what's going on in your area. more range than CB and much clearer. the test is easy with a little studying, go for it.

Last edited:

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    I've have had a CBs for well over forty years---they are really nicer to have now than years ago---foul language is 98% less and people tend to "walk on you" less. You can actually have conversations with truckers and others---you still got a few "freeway preachers, foul mouths and bigots". These all tend to have BIG RADIOS. but there aren't as many as years back. I even gotten a lot of help, directions and help getting unlost over the years. For the cost of a Highpoint you can get a Cobra 29 and an antenna and join in, of course this is a basic set up---cheap enough to see if you like it. "Merry Christmas"

RobertG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Tangipahoa Parish
    A good place to get bargains on used radio equipment is the Annual Hammond Hamfest which is in about a month.

Hammond Hamfest 2013 sponsored by SELARC will be in a NEW location (but still FREE admission) on Saturday, January 19, 2013. Site for the 32nd annual hamfest will be the Quality Inn & Conference Center located at 2000 S. Morrison Blvd. in Hammond, just off of Exit 28 from I-55. The hotel will offer a special group rate for the hamfest. Details at www.selarc.org/selarchamfest.htm

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I had a table at the Hammond Hamfest last year. Sold a LOT of stuff for next to nothing. Got rid of a bunch of old scanners and electronics I wasn't using.
    I'll be at the hamfest in January but just plan on spending about an hour looking. Not really needing anything at the moment unless a really cheap antenna tuner jumps out at me.
    20meters is booming right now. I've checked into a couple of nets just before lunch. Making good contacts with Illinois, Indiana and other stations north. The End of the World net control stations are taking lots of checkins. Probably with everyone snowed in or taking long holiday weekends off from work. Maratime Mobile net was busy earlier too. This sunspot cycle rocks and is only going to get better.

Syntor

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Slidell, LA
    Have one that I used for work,, was just sitting in my garage forever.. bought a Jeep 4x4 play toy for hunting, and am going to put it in there for back up..

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I too talked when you had to have a license...KIZ4368 was the call sign...just being able to recall that tells you how much we talked back then in the 70's and 80's. Still have a rig in my pickup and use it only when I need some traffic information or if one of my car hauling friends is on the air. One of ya'll said its cussword free 98% of the time with truckers..well, over here its more like 98% f-bombs and such and I will NOT put it on channel 19 when I have other people in my truck. Its pretty much dead here in the BR area on the other channels. I used to really enjoy and still prefer SSB. I also am a Ham tech holder and enjoy 10 meter when conditions are right.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    With Amateur licenses so easy to get these days, it only makes sense to get your ham license and a basic 2 meter rig. A lot of people recommend an HT ( handie-talkie) to new hams and I think that discourages some. HT's do give you absolute mobility and most are similar in size to a cell phone, but the small antenna and low power out limit its effectiveness in some situations. An HT will still outperform a CB for local communications and features that aren't possible on CB. Many repeaters have phone patches that allow telephone calls to be made from your mobile or HT. It's handy for calling 911. Some link to other repeaters worldwide via the internet using a service called echolink. I like mobile radios and usually recommend those to new hams. The radios are usually cheaper than HT's, most common features included on even the cheapest models, higher output power ( 50 watts or more), and better antenna type/location. Most people hook theirs up to a power supply and use at home. There are many repeaters around that are on high towers that extend the range. The modulation is FM and quiet compared to the AM or SSB on CB. People are almost always courteous and well behaved. Ham's tend to take the hobby seriously and don't put up with it. The FCC is a little more determined to keep the bands clean and do investigate if problem people are bad enough. A typical 2 meter mobile rig can be found used for around $100 - $125 used. There's several new models for less than $200. You can find the occasional $30 rig from 1979 that may work fine, but doesn't have "tones" that are used on most repeaters to help prevent distant stations from causing the repeater to key up. The tone is inaudible, but is needed. It's also standard on every 2 meter radio made in the last 10 years or more. The older rigs can be used for packet radio or other modes. There's so many modes and bands that there's literally something for everyone. You don't have to be an engineer or tech person at all to enjoy talking on the radio. You do have to pass the written test, but Morse code is no longer required. Amateur radio is like many other hobbies including shooting. You can spend a fortune if you want, but you can have a good time on a budget too. There will be license exams at the SELARC hamfest in Hammond next month too.

Top Bottom