CB Radios

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    A few comments and replies. ....

I have a CB in my vehicle. It has it's benefits in several ways. Even with the 100 watt kicker, range is limited but still useful.
    Keep in mind that "kickers" are illegal for use on the CB band. Maximun wattage allowed is 4watts AM and 12 watts PEP on SSB.

I have had Cbs for over 40 years, but currently have none, I think with the peak of the sun spots and solar flares they are almost useless right now. These flares run in 11 year cycles and right now is the worst.
    The bands open up regularly. Ten meters had had some great openings lately. OF course, CB is meant for local comms and is not supposed to get you very far down the road. Not much better than line of sight.

Many repeaters have phone patches that allow telephone calls to be made from your mobile or HT. It's handy for calling 911.
    Have you been on the repeaters lately. I don'tknow of any repeaters in the BR area which still have phone patches. The clubs all removed them after cellphones became popular. Not enough use to justify the phone bill for the hookup. I'm not even sure the SELARC club has any repeaters still hooked to a phonepatch.

I enjoy the CB and when skip is rolling I can talk from coast to coast but being able to get out of country would be nice.
    CB isn't for DX. FCC rules limit it to 151 miles max. Anything over that and you are violating. CB is meant for local comms only. If you want to go C2C or international, get your ham ticket.

I am not running a stock radio and still have some tweaks to make. For some reason I can not seam to get my SWR down to a reasonable level and am concerned about damage to rig.
    Could the high SWRs have something to do with the "tweaks" that someone made to your radio? CBs come pretty much ready to go out of the box. There is little to gain by "tweaking" them except the possibility of screwing something up inside.

I love my cb, just wish I could get the power company to put a 480v service in my house !
    480Volts for CB? You realize that just about all CB radios run on 12 volts and probably won't pull more than 5 amps right? Even the ones with built in power supplies for desk use are going to plug into a regular 120volt outlet and work as reccommended. It's a CB radio. Not an arc welder.

But if all you can do is get the tech license, it's good. Buy the equipment for all the bands. A multi band mobile set up would be great. If shtf, the FCC will not be around. And if you already know the protocol and have a callsign that people can recognize, better chance people may talk with you after SHTF.
    What kind of disaster are you expecting where the government falls and the FCC magically vanishes? Comet impact? Buying the gear without knowing how to use it and practicing with it regularly will do you little good in a disaster. It's like the people who buy any other survival gear and think that when the time comes they will somehow know what to do with it. Get your ticket and upgrades. Get the gear and USE IT. Get involved with your local clubs and public service agencies BEFORE shtf so they know you and you know them. Quit dreaming of a time when the FCC/FEMA/Highway Patrol disappear and everyone is riding around sporting mowhawks and wearing assless chaps. Ani't gonna happen and if it does you won't be playing radio.

...like mentioned there are lots of gear out there that is fairly inexpensive. Go to QTH.com or even e-bay. Sometimes you can find good deals on Craigslist too.
    Being active with your local clubs and fellow hams helps too. When a peice of gear comes up for sale you are on the email list that is used to announce the sale or you get a call from someone telling you to check into it. Thats how I got my Yaesu FT-100D HF radio. A local ham knew the club was about to sell it and heard me on the radio and told me to contact the club and make an offer for it. My power supply came from another club member who had it in his truck at a club meeting. I offered to buy it if he would follow me home after the meeting so I could get the cash for him. My Amateur Television transmitter was GIVEN to me by a ham who wasn't using it anymore. So was the Yagi antenna I use with it. I was just offered the use of a packet interface this week while having breakfast with several hams in Baton Rouge. This is a regular, weekly breakfast meetup we have and a good way to find out what everyone is using and get in on any deals. I've seen plenty of For Sale items listed in club newsletters. Pay your dues. Go to the meetings. Participate in the events and GET ON THE AIR. You will meet lots of interesting people and learn that there's more to the hobby than the PTT button on the side of an HT.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    That was a bad ass 4cx1500B huh, It was a marine Raytheon I converted after LTC gave up on it.
    I thought you liked dem 'pills' and leece nevilles
    I still do, but I been gettin more into the base too !!! All that ridin around is fun but sittin in the recliner and mashin the gas pedal is more fun !!!:rofl: LTC still around ???? Probably passed on !!!

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Oh boy here we go....class is in session !!!!

Keep in mind that "kickers" are illegal for use on the CB band. Maximun wattage allowed is 4watts AM and 12 watts PEP on SSB.

The bands open up regularly. Ten meters had had some great openings lately. OF course, CB is meant for local comms and is not supposed to get you very far down the road. Not much better than line of sight.

Have you been on the repeaters lately. I don'tknow of any repeaters in the BR area which still have phone patches. The clubs all removed them after cellphones became popular. Not enough use to justify the phone bill for the hookup. I'm not even sure the SELARC club has any repeaters still hooked to a phonepatch.

CB isn't for DX. FCC rules limit it to 151 miles max. Anything over that and you are violating. CB is meant for local comms only. If you want to go C2C or international, get your ham ticket.

Could the high SWRs have something to do with the "tweaks" that someone made to your radio? CBs come pretty much ready to go out of the box. There is little to gain by "tweaking" them except the possibility of screwing something up inside.

480Volts for CB? You realize that just about all CB radios run on 12 volts and probably won't pull more than 5 amps right? Even the ones with built in power supplies for desk use are going to plug into a regular 120volt outlet and work as reccommended. It's a CB radio. Not an arc welder.

What kind of disaster are you expecting where the government falls and the FCC magically vanishes? Comet impact? Buying the gear without knowing how to use it and practicing with it regularly will do you little good in a disaster. It's like the people who buy any other survival gear and think that when the time comes they will somehow know what to do with it. Get your ticket and upgrades. Get the gear and USE IT. Get involved with your local clubs and public service agencies BEFORE shtf so they know you and you know them. Quit dreaming of a time when the FCC/FEMA/Highway Patrol disappear and everyone is riding around sporting mowhawks and wearing assless chaps. Ani't gonna happen and if it does you won't be playing radio.

Being active with your local clubs and fellow hams helps too. When a peice of gear comes up for sale you are on the email list that is used to announce the sale or you get a call from someone telling you to check into it. Thats how I got my Yaesu FT-100D HF radio. A local ham knew the club was about to sell it and heard me on the radio and told me to contact the club and make an offer for it. My power supply came from another club member who had it in his truck at a club meeting. I offered to buy it if he would follow me home after the meeting so I could get the cash for him. My Amateur Television transmitter was GIVEN to me by a ham who wasn't using it anymore. So was the Yagi antenna I use with it. I was just offered the use of a packet interface this week while having breakfast with several hams in Baton Rouge. This is a regular, weekly breakfast meetup we have and a good way to find out what everyone is using and get in on any deals. I've seen plenty of For Sale items listed in club newsletters. Pay your dues. Go to the meetings. Participate in the events and GET ON THE AIR. You will meet lots of interesting people and learn that there's more to the hobby than the PTT button on the side of an HT.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    OOps double post !!!

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    But if all you can do is get the tech license, it's good. Buy the equipment for all the bands. A multi band mobile set up would be great. If shtf, the FCC will not be around. And if you already know the protocol and have a callsign that people can recognize, better chance people may talk with you after SHTF.

There are many reasons people buy HAM gear. Not all of them involve participation in the local HAM club. I have my ticket and would encourage one to do just that. However if you are going to buy gear, I'd much rather someone buy the right gear and learn how to use it versus a CB. I think you'd agree. If I have a multi band and my ticket is not general class and SHTF do you think that the FCC will have time to regulate anyone? No. Plus in a disaster I would argue that nearly all communications regardless of band or licensure would be for emergency communication and therefore exempt from penalty by the FCC.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Oh boy here we go....class is in session !!!!

I doubt he every ran into the 'professor;
    WL I had wanted to build a grid driven 4cx3000 before i quit but never did. Prob take a 10K nowdays but that is getting into water cooled stuff; I never liked the idea of water and 7000 vdc/ I think stack 6s on top of 14 pcs of Rohn 45 in my back yard would look kind cool too. I found an old pic of me sitting on top of good Budddy #1 stacking kit when we tried to put an antron 99 in the middle of it.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    If I remember correctly some of the people in our area made their own conditions.
    And if you have a big enough radio you could even get brownies delivered to your house by a fine looking woman wearing high heels and a mini skirt. :D

Charlie, I was just telling my GF about that yesterday, reminissing about the good old days; I often wonder where Pony Tail ended up she finished LSU with a degree in Criminal Justice

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    I doubt he every ran into the 'professor;
    WL I had wanted to build a grid driven 4cx3000 before i quit but never did. Prob take a 10K nowdays but that is getting into water cooled stuff; I never liked the idea of water and 7000 vdc/ I think stack 6s on top of 14 pcs of Rohn 45 in my back yard would look kind cool too. I found an old pic of me sitting on top of good Budddy #1 stacking kit when we tried to put an antron 99 in the middle of it.
    I had a 3cx5000, never was able to get a station up to even plug that thing in !!!! it was air cooled though, had 2 Dayton squirrel cage blowers on it, and the exhaust plumbing to run outside to vent the heat from the tube !!!! had 14 straights of rohn 25 an m108 with the 20k gamma, my 101ex and 2100....I was planning to be the man but it never worked out to this day....sold the 3cx5000 amp to a ham in Tx, and ya mailbox molesting buddy still has my 101 and my 2100 from 13 yrs ago !!!!....still have my yaesu 1000 rotor and 7 sections of tower though !!! Only a few privilaged people know who the professor is and if they ever met him they would be well educated !!!:rofl:

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Charlie, I was just telling my GF about that yesterday, reminissing about the good old days; I often wonder where Pony Tail ended up she finished LSU with a degree in Criminal Justice

Debbie just told me that last she heard Pony Tail was working at Hooters after she got out of LSU

RobertG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Tangipahoa Parish

The SELARC club still has a repeater hooked up to a phonepatch.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    Yep that was the benchmark; I was proud to say I had more ERP than WBRZ was advertising back then

4 watts, that's like a 10 round magazine
    LMAO !!!!! I think most of these law abiding ham operators on this site would lay golden eggs when they've seen some of the mobiles that travels around Baton Rouge....Much less some of the base stations....you're right Danny 3 or 4cx3000 is a drop in the bucket now days, even what I ran in my truck is a drop in the bucket. In dx, it's all about mother nature no matter whats behind the radio !!!

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    Anyone happen to have a study guide they'd be interested in selling? I'd like to read up and get my license now that I'm done with school.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Anyone happen to have a study guide they'd be interested in selling? I'd like to read up and get my license now that I'm done with school.

You can download a free PDF or Kindle book at www.kb6nu.com. There are also apps for the iphone for learning the material. Online practice exams can be found at www.eham.net/exams/. Just take the exams over and over until your scores are up then schedule a testing session. Be sure to visit arrl.org for all the news and introductions.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula

Go here -http://aa9pw.com They have easy, free practice tests online. Just take the tests and study the parts you have difficulty with. The tests are made up of questions from a pool of questions and the answers are always the same. Always the same meaning if a particular question is answer B, it will always be B, or true, etc. Some people take the test so many times, that they memorize the answers. It doesn't take that many practice tests to consistently get the required 70% to pass. Someone in an older post mentioned that they thought it would be expensive to "go all in" and it just doesn't work like that. Sure, you can spend a fortune on high end radios, but to put it in perspective, do you need a $3000 AR to get into this hobby? Of course not.

You can get on the air for very cheap at first if you want. There is a flood of cheap Chinese HT's out there for $30+ that most folks who have them are impressed with. Sort of like the High Point of amateur radios. Some of the posts about tweaks and amps on CB have little to with operating on Amateur HF. You can work the world on 5w and a wire dipole in the trees. Granted, you will be able to work places more often with 1500w and a yagi (beam), but most don't have that and aren't trying to talk across town. A 5w VHF HT through a repeater will easily outperform one of those noisy overpowered, overmodulated CB's across town. Audio and local range is much better and fits in your pocket. I have a typical, middle of the road HF rig that puts out 100 watts and can work most anyone I can hear. You really don't need to spend a fortune to get into the hobby at all ,and there are so many paths and choices that it would be difficult to get into all of them.

There is a free hamfest on January 18 in Hammond. There will be testing and lots of stuff for sale. It's at the Magnuson Grand Hotel which is just off exit 28 from I-55, across from Don's Seafood.

clay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    NOLA
    Go here -http://aa9pw.com They have easy, free practice tests online. Just take the tests and study the parts you have difficulty with. The tests are made up of questions from a pool of questions and the answers are always the same. Always the same meaning if a particular question is answer B, it will always be B, or true, etc. Some people take the test so many times, that they memorize the answers. It doesn't take that many practice tests to consistently get the required 70% to pass. Someone in an older post mentioned that they thought it would be expensive to "go all in" and it just doesn't work like that. Sure, you can spend a fortune on high end radios, but to put it in perspective, do you need a $3000 AR to get into this hobby? Of course not.

You can get on the air for very cheap at first if you want. There is a flood of cheap Chinese HT's out there for $30+ that most folks who have them are impressed with. Sort of like the High Point of amateur radios. Some of the posts about tweaks and amps on CB have little to with operating on Amateur HF. You can work the world on 5w and a wire dipole in the trees. Granted, you will be able to work places more often with 1500w and a yagi (beam), but most don't have that and aren't trying to talk across town. A 5w VHF HT through a repeater will easily outperform one of those noisy overpowered, overmodulated CB's across town. Audio and local range is much better and fits in your pocket. I have a typical, middle of the road HF rig that puts out 100 watts and can work most anyone I can hear. You really don't need to spend a fortune to get into the hobby at all ,and there are so many paths and choices that it would be difficult to get into all of them.

There is a free hamfest on January 18 in Hammond. There will be testing and lots of stuff for sale. It's at the Magnuson Grand Hotel which is just off exit 28 from I-55, across from Don's Seafood.

Thanks. I don't know how much I'll get in to it as a hobby. I ran comm/crypto in the military. I'm wanting a to enhance my personal skill set and have a functional comm package should we get another storm that leaves us crippled again.

I'm ok with having the "high point" of radios. a failure to fire issue isn't too scary when talking comm. At the event in Hammond, will there be a swap meet style market with used gear? I'm pretty sure I can learn the information prior to the event and would like to get geared up ASAP.

Is there a good go to web forum for amateur radio?

Top Bottom